Unemployment Woes

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by RabbitLady
I'm making about a big $8.25 an hour.
Just FYI, you are making better than minumum wage. Hope that makes ya feel better.
But as Cari says - competition in St. Mary's is fierce. If ya want more and want it now, go back to the commute. I would love a job in St. Mary's, but all the job offers I have had are in DC making what I would work for. I have been with my employer for 4+ years, and disliked some of the people I work with - but it is a job that pays me to work - not to make friends and socialize.
Check the local library for beginners computer classes, there are usually intro classes taught in the library and very inexpensive. Or, since you have older kids - have them give you a class.
And most places here and in dc, want people who have degrees, and some even pay for all or part of continuing education classes.
And I agree with Kain in that you have got to let go of your negativity in a job search. HR managers and employers don't like to hire "negative". Always interview and submit resumes in a positive manner. You never know who is stuck working the front desk that day.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
During the fall I was asked by my boss to review some resumes and one of the things I noticed was most of them had very weak cover letters. I recommend that you use a cover letter as an opportunity to tell the prospective employer why you would be the ideal candidate for them to hire for the position. Your resume will depict your qualifications but in the cover letter you can be bold and show them that you really want the position. I fully believe this will set you apart from others, it will get their attention and possibly their consideration.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Just adding a little humor to this thread...

There are all kinds of reasons why someone doesn't get the job, this poor guy has no clue...

From Daily Confessions--

I just stamped "DECLINED" on the request for employment of the gentleman I just interviewed.

He is very qualified, has more than enough experience and has a great attitude ( and is extremely handsome, too!). But in two weeks he will get a letter explaining that we will be unable to employ him at this time.

If he would have remembered my name, or the fact that we went out on a date just six years ago in High School, I might have given him a second interview.

But he didn't.

So I won't.

Foot Note: After he slept with me in high school, he never called again. Guess I am still taking it a little personally.

Declined

Erin

Rl

The company I work at is looking for a part-time person to work Configuration Management/Risk Management. PM me if you are interested & I'll get back to you tonight.

Thanks to all of you for your advice, especially to you Cariblue because it sounds like you understand my woes.
However, to answer a few of your questions...My degree was in History. No...On my interviews (and I do average between 1-2 a month) I am NOT negative about my past job experiences. As for a cover letter, yes I do include cover letters along with my resumes. Maybe they are just not powerful enough. Also, I do follow up my interviews with thank you letters! But a thought...actually the other day I thought I had "landed" this admin job working for the county. I have a couple of friends who work at this agency and they both gave good recommendations as well as my interview went well. I later heard that the two interviewers liked me and on the typing, proofing and letter writing test I had scored the best of all the candidates. But I hear that due to pressure, the office may have had to hire a female minority because there was none in the office. So "strike out" again !
Also, I did take some computer skills at the company in Crystal City , so I am fluent in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint (little shaky here..never had a reason to use it!), Outlook, Publisher, and Groupwise email. Evidently, what I'm lacking here is knowledge of Microsoft Access and brushing up on my Poweroint.
NO more commuting for me. I'm too old for that. I know I won't make "the big bucks" by staying locally, but I know there are some respectable salaries in the area.
Any more comments?!

mrs potts

Originally posted by migtig
Heck I wish I could do that. Actually I wish SoMd had a metro stop...

AMEN! A SOMD metro stop would be a godsend - imagine all of the traffice headaches that would be eliminated!!!!!!!!!!!! With the soaring gas prices - driving to work in DC is getting to be too expensive!