Unemployment

pelers

I'm pretty confident I could easily find a new job if I were to lose mine. The thing that scares the bejeebers out of me is if what if the base were to close? What do I do with my house? Base closes, everybody leaves, nobody is going to want to buy a house here for anywhere near what I paid for it (or for what I still owe on it).

PsyOps

Pixelated
This "right wing freak" would have no problem landing a job. I can flip burgers with the best of them.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Finding another job isn't the problem. Finding a job at the same or similar salary is the problem. Reduction of salary and benefit compensation is a BIG problem.

Ask me how I know. :bawl:

bilbur

A little over 2 years ago I lost my funding and my job that I was with for 13 years. I have to admit it was scary and I had a mini freak out. I had a savings but I was still thinking about what I could sell to support myself until I found another job. I also was crunching numbers to see what was the minimum salary I would be able to accept to pay my basic bills. As it turned out all the worry was for nothing because I had 5 interviews in less then a week and I signed an offer letter for more then I was making in less then two weeks. As long as a person has a marketable skill in this area they will be able to find work. That might not always be the case but because of the base there are a crap load of jobs in multiple different fields. If the base shut down and I had to move that would be very difficult. I was born and raised here and want to stay here for now so I would try and find a job with less then a 90 minute commute to enable me to stay in the area. I also just purchased a house so if the base left the housing market would crash and I wouldn't be able to afford to sell.

Christy

b*tch rocket
:yay:

plenty of Blue Collar workers driving from the Shenandoah Valley to DC Area everyday

Funny that you say that. This is what many folks did from my town, but slightly different. They put campers at KOA sites in the Harper's Ferry area and would commute to the DC area for work, and then on weekends they'd go back home to their families. The commute from where I grew up is still a bit too far to do on a daily basis. ;)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Funny that you say that. This is what many folks did from my town, but slightly different. They put campers at KOA sites in the Harper's Ferry area and would commute to the DC area for work, and then on weekends they'd go back home to their families. The commute from where I grew up is still a bit too far to do on a daily basis. ;)

Worked with a guy years ago who drove from Luray into the DC area every day. He'd get a brand new truck every three years and first thing he always did was disable the odometer.