Union Mouthbreather .... on Fox

ironintestines

Non-Premo
I worked in private industry for most of my adult life. I only ever worked in a few union shops. Outside of MOST union shops, the only days we had off during the year were New Year's day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Even then, we were never paid for having to take those days off.

The shops at the farmers market don't count..lol..

I'm sorry you decided to work at places most of your adult life that offered nothing.

A company is only as good as it's employees.

mitzi

Good for him!!! :high5:

It's a tough course but If he's 3rd year, he's well on his way to an awesome career.

Wonder if I know him. Wouldn't it be coincidence if he's at my site? :lmao:

That would be. Where's your site?

wch

Based on what I've read in your posts, I believe I know which union you are in. I was in local 26 IBEW before I became management. Ours is a very good union, a strikeless union. Excellent training and benefits. We win craftsmanship awards all the time for our installations.

The field just got paid holidays within the last 5 years. They get no paid vacation unless thay are foremen. We did give up Presidents day for the day after thanksgiving.

Yes I am a member with Local 26 and have been since 1995, we did get paid holidays if you are a foreman or have a DC electrical license. I have both,
and yes our local is one of the strongest due to its ability to negotiate a reasonable agreement with NECA were I can make a decent living yet my employer can still bid competitively

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Ironic that you should mention "dumping" and "Toyota" in the same post.

A link for you, found by googling "Japanese dumping on American markets:"
Japan Dumping of Trucks Charged - New York Times

A practice that Japanese manufacturers have been doing since at least the 1960's, by the way. How is it possible for the Japanese manufacturers to sell vehicles in the American marketplace for less than it cost to build, ship, and pay tariffs? Easily done: the Japanese government has been subsidizing its manufacturing base since the 1950's. Now, you might think that that would take up a major portion of Japan's GDP, and it does. Here's how they've been able to subsidize Japanese industry for nearly a half century: the major portion of their GDP that would go to national defense doesn't. Wanna guess who pays for most of Japan's national defense, and have since the end of WWII?

That's right, we do.

The point is, I don't mind bashing unions; especially leadership - as opposed to rank-and-file dudes and dudettes.

But to reduce the discussion to "dem guys what's getting paid 30 dollars an hour to drive a forklift" doesn't get a the root of what is really a complex issue.

Never mind the gazillions of times the amount of salaries American corporate execs make compared with the rank-and-file (a ratio you DO NOT see in Japan, by the way).

Or the obscene profits that shareholders make, while many workers (a large segment of the 83 percent who aren't union) do not, or barely make a living wage.

Or the fact that WalMart, that so many people in America love because they're cheap, cheap, cheap, and many other corporations import products made by virtual slaves in 3rd world countries; in turn, pumping vast amounts of money into such paragons of human rights as China, Cambodia, and others.

One of the truisms of business is that 'you can't solve a problem unless you can accurately describe the problem.' To put it all on the fact that union workers generally get more and better benefits than nonunion workers doesn't describe the scope of the real problem, nor does it do anything to solve the problem. The idea is to raise every one's standard of living, not tear some people's standard of living down. That's just petty jealousy.

A little misdirection on your part, comparing imported Japanese cars to cars made in America by Japanese companies. At that point you got off track with that part of the argument.

My argument was against corrupt union leadership, and the relationship between those corrupt individuals and the political party beholden to them.

Corporate executives make great money in a competitive market. While I don't agree with the salaries they make, I can understand the market forces that allow this to happen.

I would like a definition of "obscene profit", please. It's a nice buzzword but it's an emotional term, not a definitive term. Shareholders are the investors (many of whom are union members whose pension plans are funded in such a way) and folks who've invested their 401k plans in such companies. Tell us just how much 'profit' is acceptable in your eyes.

With your argument of "while many workers (a large segment of the 83 percent who aren't union) do not, or barely make a living wage", again is an emotional argument. What the definition of a 'living wage'? Are you suggesting that 83 percent of the population is living in poverty as they are not represented by a union?

I linked to an article discussing how the unions are forcing companies into bankruptcy. While I would prefer a job making $75 an hour, I will take a job making $45 an hour, especially if I knew the $75 per hour job might not be around in the near future.

The second article discussed the Democrat Party rewarding union leadership support by ensuring the office that oversees union compliance with Federal law receives less funding to accomplish their task than previously budgeted.

Your statement "One of the truisms of business is that 'you can't solve a problem unless you can accurately describe the problem.' ", is very accurate. But we have accurately described the problem, you just haven't addressed what was posted.

The problem - corrupt union leadership overpricing the services of their members to the point the companies are heading to bankruptcy.

The secondary problem - the Democrat Party mandating union membership, mandating union contracts on certain Federal jobs, and encouraging union leadership corruption by limiting funding of the Federal department who ensures compliance by the union leadership of Federal law.

Another article regarding union leadership:

Labor bosses don't share workers' pain

In tough times, leaders still gain as workers lose ground

In the past five years, pink slips have descended upon tens of thousands of union workers in Michigan, while others have seen their health care and pension benefits gutted and wages frozen or cut.

But in many cases, labor's pain stops at the union hall door.

During the toughest economic times for organized labor in decades, union leaders are more likely to keep their jobs and get raises than the members they serve. A Detroit News analysis of U.S. Department of Labor data revealed a growing pay divide between labor bosses and the rank and file who pay their salaries with their dues.

Labor bosses don't share workers' pain | The Detroit News | detnews.com

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Why do we always hear about "Big Oil" "Big Pharma"" Big
Toabaaco" "Big Whatever" but we never hear about "Big Unions"

The reason the "Big Three" are in trouble is that the "Big Unions" have sucked them dry.
JMHO

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
That would be. Where's your site?
Lockheed Martin on Rockledge Drive in Bethesda. It's wrapping up.

Yes I am a member with Local 26 and have been since 1995, we did get paid holidays if you are a foreman or have a DC electrical license. I have both, and yes our local is one of the strongest due to its ability to negotiate a reasonable agreement with NECA were I can make a decent living yet my employer can still bid competitively
Agreed 100% I thought you were L26.

Why do we always hear about "Big Oil" "Big Pharma"" Big Toabaaco" "Big Whatever" but we never hear about "Big Unions" The reason the "Big Three" are in trouble is that the "Big Unions" have sucked them dry. JMHO
Again I agree. When you pay people to top dollar to put round pegs in round holes and sit home with pay, how are you to make money??

M

Mousebaby

Send that mouthbreather over here. He won't breathe much longer, one of my cats just took a mean shiat!!!! :barf:

R

RadioPatrol

We've had this discussion before and you didn't read my post or you have no reading comprehension. We are a strikeless union.

You give quality electricians a bad name. You think because you jerk a lil BX cable in a friggin CVS or sub shop, you're a qualified journeyman. You're not even close. You're the type of guys who we had to go in after last month and fix the improperly pulled cables. And we were handsomely compensated as well.

:bigwhoop:

Sigh .... ah huh I still got the job done ...

so GFYS

there was nothing wrong with the quality of my work .... and 90% of the work does not require 25 yrs experience

nothing complicated about electrical work ....

admit it your beholden to you UNION for you job so I would not expect you to see the faults ........ and no I do not call myself an electrician

when you get on a job, and the super hands you a set of plans ... all the computations for load ... etc has already been done by the engineer @ the Architect Firm, and approved before you ever get the call to pull the 1st piece of cable .... so your

25 years and hold 7 masters in 2 states for 18 years

do not mean squat :blahblah:

your just another Union Thug Sucking a Union Dick ........ who cannot see past his own brown nose to problems with UNIONS .... may your shops is enlightened ... but the UAW has put a ####ing on the big 3 and it is time to Man up and not demand I bail them out with my taxes

are there NON Union Guys who do Good yes ....

are there UNION Guys who do crap work YES .....

we have all seen it ..... maybe the world should be unionized ?

then there would only be competent workers everywhere ? UNION car washers .... baby sitters .... secretaries ...

maybe you'd like to pay 25% more for you TP @ Walmart after they Unionize

and anyone not passing UNION Tests ... what do they do ?

so you would deny someone a job, because they were not in your precious UNION ....

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RadioPatrol

I'm so sorry. :poorbaby:

:killingme

like I ever tried ..... :howdy:

your an arrogant prick .... :whistle:

just because someone is not part of your precious union does not mean they are too stupid to properly wire a panel or properly figure load or equipment of a circuit :cds:

Last edited by a moderator:

tater

Re: Unions

I thought this was an interesting read. May be a little long and boring, but I thought it was interesting because so many peeps are split on whether unions are good or bad. :shrug:

Unions: Good or Bad?

C

czygvtwkr

I've never quite understood the "Union Quality" argument. I have belonged to a few in my younger days and the union provided no training etc to make anyone better at their job. So how do union workers produce a better product than nonunion workers?

I am not really against unions, just ones like the UAW that some how managed to get way more for their employees than is realistic such as that job bank crap.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I've never quite understood the "Union Quality" argument. I have belonged to a few in my younger days and the union provided no training etc to make anyone better at their job. So how do union workers produce a better product than nonunion workers?

I am not really against unions, just ones like the UAW that some how managed to get way more for their employees than is realistic such as that job bank crap.
I am referring to IBEW and trade unions.

Most "trade" unions have an apprenticeship to train you. Ours is 5 years.

Non-union trades receive no formal training except what they get under the person they're working for who most likely had none either. The inspectors constantly tell us they know when a non-union contractor does work. Although it may pass code, it's typically sloppy and unprofessional.

RP has no reading comprehension and thinks because he put in some lights and yanked some small cable, he's a trained electrician. Truth is, he cannot even pass a test. He's had no formal training. He admitted he was a laborer.

R

RadioPatrol

RP has no reading comprehension and thinks because he put in some lights and yanked some small cable, he's a trained electrician. Truth is, he cannot even pass a test. He's had no formal training. He admitted he was a laborer.

YOU Missed:

admit it your beholden to you UNION for you job so I would not expect you to see the faults ........ and no I do not call myself an electrician

Never Said I was Trained ... other than OJT ...

But what is formal training ... other that showing someone how do something, then having them repeat the task ?

now if your referring to all the learning required to be a Master or Journey Man , then nope never had that ........

but how much of your daily job requires more than a trained monkey ....

and what you are really talking about is Quality of Work .... which to a certain extant, you can train someone to do a neat and efficient job .... but it in the end still depends on the worker .... Unions aside I have seen plenty of #### work, by trained people .........

C

czygvtwkr

I can't believe y'all are arguing about who is the better wire monkey.