University of Maryland to the Big Ten?

Beta84

They're out to get us
I'm curious what you Terps fans think of Maryland leaving the ACC and going to the Big Ten (12...14...). The vote should come today. If they vote yes, mighty Rutgers will probably join them. What do you think?

jrt_ms1995

I'm curious what you Terps fans think of Maryland leaving the ACC and going to the Big Ten (12...14...). The vote should come today. If they vote yes, mighty Rutgers will probably join them. What do you think?

Not a Terps fan, but with the idiotic number of teams in/to be in the ACC leaving would be a good option for any school. Of course, it would be better to simply throw out the new teams which never should have been invited in/admitted. Since I'm an old geezer, this means the ACC would be composed of Maryland, Virginia, Wake Forest, Duke, UNC-CH, NCSU, Clemson, and Georgia Tech. A case could be made for bringing South Carolina back in, but otherwise eff-off, you can't come in.

But we all know it's now entirely about the $$.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Not a Terps fan, but with the idiotic number of teams in/to be in the ACC leaving would be a good option for any school. Of course, it would be better to simply throw out the new teams which never should have been invited in/admitted. Since I'm an old geezer, this means the ACC would be composed of Maryland, Virginia, Wake Forest, Duke, UNC-CH, NCSU, Clemson, and Georgia Tech. A case could be made for bringing South Carolina back in, but otherwise eff-off, you can't come in.

But we all know it's now entirely about the $$.

A few things:
1) The ACC was going to be 14 teams next season, but the Big Ten is already at 12 teams this year. If they add Maryland and Rutgers next year, Maryland is just going from one 14 team conference to another one. Size wouldn't matter.
2) If the ACC were composed of the teams you just listed (not including South Carolina), they'd be a mid-major for football. They'd still be a good basketball conference, but maybe 3rd or 4th at best. Somehow I don't think that benefits the conference since they wouldn't be making much in TV revenue.
3) You must not be THAT old, since Georgia Tech was originally an SEC team. If you're going to try bringing back South Carolina then the tradeoff would be losing Georgia Tech to their roots.

thurley42

HY;FR
That would be interesting...since my alma mater is a Big Ten school. :evil:

Buckeye here :buddies: as long as you don't say the M word we're cool!

As far as the Terps coming, it's another win, and an OSU game every other year I don't have to drive 7 hours for!

thurley42

HY;FR
Merlin99 these are for you.
ynejuva7.jpg

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Michigan's offense left the building during halftime, and to put in a less mobile, less skilled guy @ QB was ridiculous.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I don't think Michigan is going to be able to compete with OSU when it comes to recruiting now.

I know thurley didn't see it but the Texas Tech Baylor game was OFF THE HOOK if you are not a fan of defense.:killingme

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm curious what you Terps fans think of Maryland leaving the ACC and going to the Big Ten (12...14...).

It's noteworthy that our institutions of higher learning teach that among tradition, consistency, geographical common sense and top dollar money, only one of those matters. It's not how you play the game; it's whether you win or lose.

That this matters to the University of Maryland this much simply speaks to how dysfunctional yet another part of American society has become and it is not just a Maryland problem. Sports affiliations among schools have been getting absurd for some time. We, as a people, never address underling problems. We just roll along to the next big score as the means to an end.

The concept of Too Big To Fail reins supreme.