Unusable Hay

If anybody discovers some hay they can't use (moldy, horse don't like it, whatever) between now and the end of June (June 21st), I am looking for hay or straw to use as backstop material for the BB and archery ranges at Cub Scout day camp again this summer. I can provide a receipt for tax write off purposes.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
If anybody discovers some hay they can't use (moldy, horse don't like it, whatever) between now and the end of June (June 21st), I am looking for hay or straw to use as backstop material for the BB and archery ranges at Cub Scout day camp again this summer. I can provide a receipt for tax write off purposes.

Great Idea and offer! I'll keep my ears open!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Do you know Frieda? I'm her daughter. We've got a bale of straw...yeah I know...one bale. But you can have it if you want it. :lmao:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
We drove by a field last weekend that must of had 100 rotted roll bales in it.. I think it was either on Flat Iron just before the intersection with Valley Lee Rd..

ElliesMom

Roll bales are hard for ME at least to get from one destination to another. Yucky squares (small) work best.

Phyxius, if your serious about getting rid of it yeah we'll work it out for one bale.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Roll bales are hard for ME at least to get from one destination to another. Yucky squares (small) work best.

Phyxius, if your serious about getting rid of it yeah we'll work it out for one bale.
There is a good sized stack of yukky stuff on Rt 5 Southbound side with a "for sale" sign on it under a canopy just south of Waldorf (past where the Math tutor's house is, but before the garden center). Maybe the owner will donate it you?

WOW who would waste 100 round bales?? :frown: how sad for us horsey folks who could have used it when it was good, and for some cow owners who still can. Would be better to donate it then let it rot.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
There is a good sized stack of yukky stuff on Rt 5 Southbound side with a "for sale" sign on it under a canopy just south of Waldorf (past where the Math tutor's house is, but before the garden center). Maybe the owner will donate it you?

WOW who would waste 100 round bales?? :frown: how sad for us horsey folks who could have used it when it was good, and for some cow owners who still can. Would be better to donate it then let it rot.

There is a bunch of round bales rotting in a field near me.. :ohwell:

Cowgirl

There is a bunch of round bales rotting in a field near me.. :ohwell:

Sometimes farmers just have crap in their fields and it's better for them to cut it and bale it to get it off so new growth can take over. It probably wasn't any good to begin with if it was left in the field. :ohwell:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Sometimes farmers just have crap in their fields and it's better for them to cut it and bale it to get it off so new growth can take over. It probably wasn't any good to begin with if it was left in the field. :ohwell:
Can't cows eat that? It's better to donate it to starving cows than let anything rot JMHO of course.

Cowgirl

Can't cows eat that? It's better to donate it to starving cows than let anything rot JMHO of course.

Well, if there's too much crap in there for the cows to eat, there's no point in using the fuel and manpower to feed it out, then clean up the waste. :shrug:

Maybe they're going to use it for bedding. Only the top layer will be bad. :shrug: But you'd think they'd get it out of the field. Who knows...

Let me clarify, I need square bales. I have no way to move the round ones (too darn big).

I appreciate all the info. I am booked every weekend until mid February, but will be actively looking after that.

kalmd

I have 3 bales that we used for Halloween decor. I don't know the difference between straw and hay, but it's those rectangle ones you buy from the side of the road along with pumpkins, corn stalks, etc.

You can have them if you want them. Hubby might even deliver them to you if you are in Mechanicsville area, just to get rid of them.

I have 3 bales that we used for Halloween decor. I don't know the difference between straw and hay, but it's those rectangle ones you buy from the side of the road along with pumpkins, corn stalks, etc.

You can have them if you want them. Hubby might even deliver them to you if you are in Mechanicsville area, just to get rid of them.
Straw/hay same thing so far as my use is concerned. Yes, I'm in Mechanicsville. Off Rt. 6 by All Faith's Church. Where in Mechanicsville are you?

Most round bales (if covered) will mold IF crows get to it and pick the plastic - they will not eat it, they just want to pick at the plastic. The bales will get wet and mold will set in...

HUNTR - too bad on the round bales, I could get a crap load of them for you... let me make a call/e-mail to someone I know who might have an excess of straw - how many bales?

Most round bales (if covered) will mold IF crows get to it and pick the plastic - they will not eat it, they just want to pick at the plastic. The bales will get wet and mold will set in...

HUNTR - too bad on the round bales, I could get a crap load of them for you... let me make a call/e-mail to someone I know who might have an excess of straw - how many bales?
Last year I had 12 of the full size square ones. Need at least that many this year. I can use as many as I can get.

Last year I had 12 of the full size square ones. Need at least that many this year. I can use as many as I can get.

Ok - for backstop in June - you definately want Straw - will not rot on you, plus storing at the house the hay molding can get stinky... Straw will last until then.

I sent an e-mail to see what she has - no promises, but I'll try...

Cowgirl

Ok - for backstop in June - you definately want Straw - will not rot on you, plus storing at the house the hay molding can get stinky... Straw will last until then.

I sent an e-mail to see what she has - no promises, but I'll try...

:confused: Straw molds and rots too.

kalmd

Straw/hay same thing so far as my use is concerned. Yes, I'm in Mechanicsville. Off Rt. 6 by All Faith's Church. Where in Mechanicsville are you?

Birch Manor, it's about a mile from Wawa at 5/235 split (old Halfway House).