Utah students hide guns, head to class

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (CNN) -- The senior at the University of Utah gets dressed and then decides which gun is easiest to conceal under his clothes.

If he's wearing a T-shirt, he'll take a smaller, low-profile gun to class. If he's wearing a coat, he may carry a different weapon, he said.

He started carrying a gun to class after the massacre at Virginia Tech, but the student says he's not part of the problem of campus shootings and could instead be part of a solution.

Nick, who asked not to be fully identified so his fellow students wouldn't know he carried a gun, says he has had a concealed weapons permit for more than three years. But it was Seung-Hui Cho's murderous campus rampage that made him take a gun to class.

His confidence is not shared by fellow student Griselda Espinoza, who recently transferred to the university. Some 28,000 students attend the school, as of the latest enrollment figures.

"I feel less safe knowing that a stranger sitting beside me in class may have a gun in his or her backpack," she said.

"The only people that should carry guns are trained officials."

Utah students hide guns, head to class - CNN.com

itsbob

I bowl overhand
" SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (CNN) -- The senior at the University of Utah gets dressed and then decides which gun is easiest to conceal under his clothes.

If he's wearing a T-shirt, he'll take a smaller, low-profile gun to class. If he's wearing a coat, he may carry a different weapon, he said.

He started carrying a gun to class after the massacre at Virginia Tech, but the student says he's not part of the problem of campus shootings and could instead be part of a solution.

Nick, who asked not to be fully identified so his fellow students wouldn't know he carried a gun, says he has had a concealed weapons permit for more than three years. But it was Seung-Hui Cho's murderous campus rampage that made him take a gun to class.

His confidence is not shared by fellow student Griselda Espinoza, who recently transferred to the university. Some 28,000 students attend the school, as of the latest enrollment figures.

"I feel less safe knowing that a stranger sitting beside me in class may have a gun in his or her backpack," she said.

"The only people that should carry guns are trained officials."

Utah students hide guns, head to class - CNN.com

Yep those trained officials did a lot of good at Virginia Tech..

I used to carry on campus all the time. In class, out of class, just hangin out.

I would like to think if someone like me was allowed to carry on VT's campus they could have made a HUGE difference.. hell.. he probably wouldn't have done it in the first place if he THOUGHT there was a possibility of there being someone capable of fighting back there.

Why don't you see mass shootings outside of gun free zones??

Pushrod

Patriot
If I remember correctly, Utah has not banned concealed carry on campus ever since they have had shall issue CCW, and they have NEVER had a problem on any campus with a CCWer committing a crime with their concealed handgun. These news stories are making it sound like it is a new development while in actuality it has been going on for years without any problems.

This should be a model for other campuses in other states, maybe cut down on the incidents of person on person crimes.

If I remember correctly, Utah has not banned concealed carry on campus ever since they have had shall issue CCW, and they have NEVER had a problem on any campus with a CCWer committing a crime with their concealed handgun. These news stories are making it sound like it is a new development while in actuality it has been going on for years without any problems.

This should be a model for other campuses in other states, maybe cut down on the incidents of person on person crimes.

Several states are considering it right now. Guess what? MD isn't one of them.

edinsomd

Odd, I've never heard of a mass killing at UT, either. Must be some sort of statistical anomaly.
Ed:duh: