Veggie "meats"

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Appear to be gone from Giant in California.
The cooler next to the fish counter had real meat in it when I shopped there yesterday.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is the problem with Democrats - they don't know what things are. They think vegetables are meat and men are women.

I happened by the misc stuff cooler at Publix today and their selection of vegan crap was almost non-existent. I guess they got tired of throwing it away all the time. Vegetarians and vegans have like 8 million things to eat, so I'm not sure why they keep trying to turn non-meats into a meat flavored substance.

HemiHauler

Impossible Burgers and their competitors have seen rapidly dropping sales the last few years. They are losing “slots” in many grocery store chains.

They’ve never been marketed exclusively or even primarily to vegans, more so plant-based eaters (which != vegan). They are marketed to people who think their cholesterol is too high and they want an alternative.

This whole “cut carbs” revolution is stupid. Nothing at all wrong with carbs as long as you take in an adequate amount of protein AND you exercise regularly.

None of those fake meats taste any good — and the ones which are are soy-based are terrible for you - pseudo-estrogen is NO GOOD.

SamSpade

About 30 years ago, I had a go at trying to eat only vegetarian. I’d read a few books by this author and I thought it sounded good. Years later my doctor told me about that author and I found out he was a quack with no credentials whatsoever.

ANYWAY - I learned that a great place for meat-like meats was at the Adventist Bookstore in Takoma Park. But for them - it’s religion.

DaSDGuy

I wonder how vegetarians and vegans feel about eating food that is created in a factory using many chemical ingredients to simulate the flavor of something they don't like? And how do they know the veggie burger tastes like a real burger unless they eat real burgers?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Attachments

• steak.jpg
    steak.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 68

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If they don't like meat, why keep trying to replicate the taste?
Sometimes it’s just because of the having to kill things. A lot of people think of their chickens as pets and the term cow eyes comes from somewhere. Personally I think of giving up on chicken after I see one of the chicken hauling trucks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wonder how vegetarians and vegans feel about eating food that is created in a factory using many chemical ingredients to simulate the flavor of something they don't like?

See, that's the thing - I don't like my food to have too many ingredients, especially ones I can't even pronounce like some science experiment. I feel like all those chemicals are way less healthy than just eating meat.

But you can't tell neurotic vegans anything, so I don't even try.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
See, that's the thing - I don't like my food to have too many ingredients, especially ones I can't even pronounce like some science experiment. I feel like all those chemicals are way less healthy than just eating meat.

But you can't tell neurotic vegans anything, so I don't even try.
When Anita and I were at Eglin AFB, FL back in the early 80's, one of her office colleagues was a PhD in microbiology, specializing in human nutrition. Her advice: If you cannot pronounce, don't eat it. Dorothy made wonderful schnitzel and sauerbraten.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
AP Finance

Beyond Meat revenue plummets in the second quarter due to flagging US demand

Plant-based meat maker Beyond Meat said its revenue plunged 30.5% in the second quarter as consumer demand for its burgers, sausages and other products fell despite price cuts. International food service demand was flat compared to the same period last year, but retail sales were down nearly 16%.

2h ago