Vehicle Emissions

Grumpy

Whats more important? the codes shown when running a OBD scan, or a check engine light being out??

Asking because I had a 98 Ranger fail emissions back in March for 2 codes related to the EGR system, no other codes. Replaced EGR valve and sensor and went for re-check today. Attendant noted that my engine light was out when I turn the key on(not started) and that was an automatic failure so no matter what the scan showed, I would lose my free re-test. I believe that engine light has been out for years but the March attendant didn't note it on the emissions failure form. Doesn't the engine light mean there is a problem, and the OBD scan would show the problem (as it did with the EGR issues)? Had an OBD scan done at an autoparts store and it came back clean..but because a light isn't working, its an automatic failure?? Seems to me its beyond ridiculous. Wrote an email to MVA about it but, as with all things MVA, I don't expect an answer. Also noted that I received the emissions notice 5 days after it was due and had to pay a late fee.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I guess I can see why they'd fail it on the light bulb being out...you have no indication of the "stuff that's wrong" that they worry about so much.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Thank God we don't have emissions tests in St. Mary's. I've got an issue with my turbo that rears its ugly head every time I push it too hard and the car goes into limp mode. Power cycle gets turbo back, but I have to clear the code with my scanner before the light resets.

If you like, I'll have my son look up replacement procedures. Hopefully it's just the bulb and not the brain.

Grumpy

Thank God we don't have emissions tests in St. Mary's. I've got an issue with my turbo that rears its ugly head every time I push it too hard and the car goes into limp mode. Power cycle gets turbo back, but I have to clear the code with my scanner before the light resets.

If you like, I'll have my son look up replacement procedures. Hopefully it's just the bulb and not the brain.
Maybe, at some point, gonna try to get a waiver..as I said, replaced the parts and re-scanned at auto store, all clear..but they fail ya because the bulb is out OR the light was disabled. This was my f-in-law's truck and he had the 70 yr old waiver so he didn't have to deal with emissions. It's possible that he couldn't get the light to go out so he disabled it. I really don't need a 'check engine light' to tell me a vehicle is running bad. So they fail you for a convenience (check engine) even if your scan is clean?? :lol: