Venison

General Lee

Placed indirect on the charcoal grill with hickory and cherry for smoke, finished over high heat

venison_zps28voxnzv.jpg

venison2_zpsurx2vpld.jpg

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm hungry.

Question, General. Obviously you know what you're doing, that's just backwards from what I do; high heat first to seal, then finish slow. Was it as juicy as it looks??? :yum:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
that's just backwards from what I do; high heat first to seal, then finish slow. :

But are you smoking it? That's probably the difference...have to start off real low with the smoke at first.

Now I'm hungry...think I'll go pull a roast out of the freezer for the smoker.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But are you smoking it? That's probably the difference...have to start off real low with the smoke at first.

Now I'm hungry...think I'll go pull a roast out of the freezer for the smoker.

My bad. When I read 'indirect' I was thinking cooking, not smoking.

General Lee

I'm hungry.

Question, General. Obviously you know what you're doing, that's just backwards from what I do; high heat first to seal, then finish slow. Was it as juicy as it looks??? :yum:

Its called reverse searing, Place it indirect from the heat, let it take on some smoke flavor and it helps ensure an even temp through the meat. This works well for thick pieces of meat. Place over the heat when your meat is about 10-15* from your target temp and sear the outside. This method also ensures a more tender and juicy piece of meat. Give it a try. An instant read thermometer helps with this. Yes, it was very juicy. Always, Always let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes after removing from the grill. This lets the juices "redistribute" throughout the meat.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Its called reverse searing, Place it indirect from the heat, let it take on some smoke flavor and it helps ensure an even temp through the meat. This works well for thick pieces of meat. Place over the heat when your meat is about 10-15* from your target temp and sear the outside. This method also ensures a more tender and juicy piece of meat. Give it a try. An instant read thermometer helps with this. Yes, it was very juicy. Always, Always let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes after removing from the grill. This lets the juices "redistribute" throughout the meat.

:buddies: