Venison

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Jameo
Also if you get a big old buck that is in full rut, that meat smells awful and with have a more "gamey" taste to it. The little ones are good & tender :yum:

I'm a meat hunter, be it antlered or not, if it's in the 130 to 170 lb range, it's in the freezer. :biggrin:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Jameo
I think the key to cooking venison is to cook it SLOWLY. We have let them age, butchered them right away, let them soak in water, blah, blah and just as long as there cooked up slow, that's the best darn eat'n there is!:yum: Also if you get a big old buck that is in full rut, that meat smells awful and with have a more "gamey" taste to it. The little ones are good & tender :yum:

If trophy bucks don't taste good, then nature might be trying to tell us something. Carnivores like wolves and lions weed out the old, the sick and the very young. That ensures that the prey species are genetically healthy in the long term.

I know a few hunters who don't believe in trophy hunting. At the very least, they believe that you shouldn't shoot game that you're not prepared to eat.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Tonio
If trophy bucks don't taste good, then nature might be trying to tell us something. Carnivores like wolves and lions weed out the old, the sick and the very young. That ensures that the prey species are genetically healthy in the long term.

Not too many wolves left to do the job anymore Tonio.

I know a few hunters who don't believe in trophy hunting. At the very least, they believe that you shouldn't shoot game that you're not prepared to eat.

That sounds like what I posted. :really:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by justhangn
Not too many wolves left to do the job anymore Tonio.

True. My point was that trophy hunting may be harmful to the long-term viability of the game species, because it takes the healthiest and strongest animals out of procreation competition. It's anti-Darwinian.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Tonio
True. My point was that trophy hunting may be harmful to the long-term viability of the game species, because it takes the healthiest and strongest animals out of procreation competition. It's anti-Darwinian.

:cheers: Agreed! :cheers:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
My family has been trying to get me to like deer meat since I could hit my face with a fork. :barf:
:roflmao:
I have tried deer several times and I just do not like it. :barf:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
For those deer hunters with kids--how do you explain the sport to them around Christmastime? Do they worry that Santa won't make his rounds because Rudolph was a 10-pointer?

J

justhangn

I tell them that we are making the reindeer faster by shooting at them and weeding out the slow ones. :razz2: