Verizon & Google

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I have Verizon Wireless and upgraded to the Thunderbolt, can someone help me with trying to get the Google BS off the phone? It won't let me delete the apps I don't want and I constantly get update notices that bug the crap out of me.

Majere420

Apps

if you are talking about the Blockbuster, City ID, Lets Golf 2,Rockband apps. Those are Verizon apps and can't be deleted that I know of. you might be able to if you root the phone.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Know of a way to stop update notifications?

not really. maybe if you put those apps on automatic update :lol:

I rarely see the Verizon apps asking for updates. I just checked and noticed a bunch of them are asking for updates right now, but that's maybe the first or second time in 6+ months.

You may be able to get rid of those apps by rooting your phone, but otherwise you're stuck with them. They're a minor nuisance that take up a little space but I hardly notice them. If you don't want them then just don't use them and they won't bother you. I find it annoying that I'm stuck with a few stupid apps, but overall it's not a problem.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Can you be more specific? What is telling you to update?

I get notices in the notice bar of the phone every couple day telling me that "updated are available" it will sat 8 or 10 or however many are out there for all the apps on the phone, some are repeats as I update the apps I want and clear the others. I thought about disabling the notifications but then I won't get them for the apps I use and may not get notifications letting me know I have mail or messages. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when dealing with this and don't want to screw the phone up, seen your post about "root" the phone, what the heck will that do?

ylexot

Super Genius
I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when dealing with this and don't want to screw the phone up, seen your post about "root" the phone, what the heck will that do?

In that case, forget root. You can mess up your phone if you don't know what you're doing.

Sounds like your options are:
  1. Disable notifications within the market app (you'll still get other notifications)
  2. Update all of your apps (most don't update very often...and why not update them?)
  3. Set your apps to auto-update (you'll still get a notification if it changes permissions)

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
In that case, forget root. You can mess up your phone if you don't know what you're doing.

Sounds like your options are:
  1. Disable notifications within the market app (you'll still get other notifications)
  2. Update all of your apps (most don't update very often...and why not update them?)
  3. Set your apps to auto-update (you'll still get a notification if it changes permissions)

Kinda what I was thinking, update all automatically......What will "root" do for the phone - advantage? I will pay someone to do it if I can still do whatever I want but be able to control what apps are on it.

ylexot

Super Genius
Kinda what I was thinking, update all automatically......What will "root" do for the phone - advantage? I will pay someone to do it if I can still do whatever I want but be able to control what apps are on it.

Basically, it gives you access to the system files that you normally don't have access to. With that access, there are lots of things you can do (with the right apps/changes):
Change the look of...pretty much anything
Back up and restore apps and data (which can be pretty handy)
Wifi tether
Change the entire operating system
Block advertisements in apps
Overclock the processor for speed or underclock for battery life
Remove system apps (including the stuff that Verizon puts on the phone)