Verizon Versus Cingular

Nitz

SO MD PHOTO
I was wondering if I could get some feedback from Cingular users about coverage in the county. I live south of the base. I am having problems with my Verizon phone and they are giving me a hard time about replacing it with another phone. :popcorn:

I would like to know if you like the service and where the dead spots are that you know of.
I hope this doesnt start a heated debate.
Thanks

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Nitz said:
I was wondering if I could get some feedback from Cingular users about coverage in the county. I live south of the base. I am having problems with my Verizon phone and they are giving me a hard time about replacing it with another phone. :popcorn:

I would like to know if you like the service and where the dead spots are that you know of.
Thanks
I have Verizon, my daughter has Cingular. We both live in Dameron. I have service at my house and down to Point Look-out, and on the Bay when we are out sailing.

My daughter's (Cingular) phone does not work at my house nor in her house, she has to go outside and walk up her driveway to get service, even though Cingular installed a new antenna at Buzzy's last year.

Verizon has three antenna's south of the base, Cingular has one, and I don't think any of the other cell phone providers have any towers down here. The secret to Verizon is getting a dual or tri mode phone. Digital service works great on land, but only analog works out in the bay.

Verizon has some cheap dual and tri mode phones that you can get cheap even if you're not at the two year trade in point.

What's the problem you are having with your current Verizon phone?? I was having a recharge problem with my phone, went to BJ's, and they got me in touch with the local manager, who in turn made them give me a new battery. Everthing has been spectacular since then.

Nitz said:

Thanks
I have Cingular, I am comfortable with their service, the biggest dead spots I've had are on base itself....

Chainsaw Slayer

get Cingular Verizon sucks. The Cingular phones come with 3G SIM cards that have much better coverage than the older Cingular phones.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Chainsaw Slayer said:
get Cingular Verizon sucks. The Cingular phones come with 3G SIM cards that have much better coverage than the older Cingular phones.
Do either of you live or work South of the base??

I have Cingular, but I'm in Calvert, not St. Mary's. Remember that it's not always the service, but the phone that can be the problem. I once had a Sony Ericsson phone where I couldn't get service at my parents house. As soon as I switched to a Nokia phone, I had service there.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Gummie said:
Good reception with Verizon throughout the Southern portion of St. Mary's County. With the addition of the new cell tower at St. Mary's College it seems coverage has improved, to include service at Webster Field. If living or working in Southern St. Mary's county Verizon is the only provider that works in the most areas.

From that site, and the tower search is inaccurate.. it has the new tower at Buzzy's but doesn't have the new tower on Mattapanny.

Last edited:

pingrr

punjabigyrl said:
I love the new 3G phone with cingular.

I have a 3G cingular phone to. It even works in the dead spots in wildwood and going towards the solomons bridge were my old cingular phone didn't work at all.

bcp

In My Opinion
I went from verizon to cingular a few years back because of verizons customer service.
that lasted about 1 month and I went back to verizon because of cingulars crappy coverage.
been with verizon since and there have only been about two instances where I have lost service. both on small backroads between high hills covered in trees.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
I have Cingular and don't have too many issues with them. I live south of the base, no problems with reception, even going to Point Lookout.

I have coverage in the building I work where others with Verizon do not.

pgtransplant

if the local store is giving a lot of #### try there 1800 number and/or there website.... I stopped dealing with the local stores due to there lack of customer service skill and just go right to the company and when i have issues they take care of me every time.