Video killed the radio star?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I maintain it absolutely did.

Before MTV, each and every song you ever heard was YOURS as much as it was the artist. What you 'heard' what you felt, how you took the lyrics, the context you associated the music with, time, place, meaning. I contend that that meant that music needed to be GOOD to connect with listeners and, further, I contend music was MUCH more unifying before video. We had less genres and far more of what we would later think of as 'cross over' where a harder rock person would be exposed to and enjoy, say, Seals and Croft and vice versa. Certainly, people have had and would still have preference but, it would not be as distinctly categorized as it is now. I could listen to Sly and the Family Stone, Simon and Garfunkel, Procal Harum, Cream and Grand Funk Railroad and enjoy them all and be, at least, familiar, with them all; a common culture with many different flavors.

A contemporary contends she loves the video age in order to fully appreciate what the artist wants to convey. I get that but, I still prefer that a song used to belong to me and me alone one one level, all of us on another as the artist and they got to keep it all as private or public as they like.

Thoughts?

:popcorn:

glhs837

Power with Control
If the video doesn't help me appreciate the song, I ignore it. I rarely ever see music videos, and I still find music I like all the time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Who can hear "Money For Nothing" without picturing those two cartoon workmen?

I don't really think of video as a means to understand the artist's message - who cares what those dummies have to say or why? It's more like a little movie with a soundtrack, pure entertainment, and nothing more. And then sometimes, like with "#### You" or "Business Time", the video IS the song and completely pulls it together to tell a story. But that's rare. Most videos are vanity pieces that really don't add to the song.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I don't really think of video as a means to understand the artist's message - who cares what those dummies have to say or why? It's more like a little movie with a soundtrack, pure entertainment, and nothing more. And then sometimes, like with "#### You" or "Business Time", the video IS the song and completely pulls it together to tell a story. But that's rare. Most videos are vanity pieces that really don't add to the song.

I really like a lot of Lady Gaga music/songs. But after seeing Bad Romance, I'm totally not watching her videos anymore! :disturbinnnngggg:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Ya know, Dire Straits has been one of my all time favorites. But Money for Nothing has grated on my nerves from day one. Same with Roundabout by Yes.

:cds:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Ya know, Dire Straits has been one of my all time favorites. But Money for Nothing has grated on my nerves from day one. Same with Roundabout by Yes.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Do you dislike Money because of the vid? If so, imagine Sultans of Swing with the cartoon track from Money! I'll wait for your response before commenting further.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Do you dislike Money because of the vid? If so, imagine Sultans of Swing with the cartoon track from Money! I'll wait for your response before commenting further.

I don't think I have seen either video. I just didn't like it over the radio, therefore, I don't think the video has anything to do with my dislike. :shrug:

E

EmptyTimCup

I have not seen a music Video since Gretchen Wilson : Redneck Woman

and before that it my watching videos had been measured in decades

Wil Smith : Men in Black:

Redneck Woman :

then this ditty, because I enjoy 'Justified' so much

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
:TANGENT ALERT!!:

What makes music? I love Jimmy Buffett's music. The songs he writes, and records from other writers, is what makes it appealing to me. Over synthed, auto tuned music may be catchy to some but if the lyrics don't tell a story then eff it.

SO, if anybody can expand my musical horizons with newer artists with good songs, then holla.

I have heard and like:
The Decemberists
Avett Brothers
Mumford & Sons
Dawes (Jackson Browne type of sound)