Video killed the radio star?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:TANGENT ALERT!!:

What makes music?

That's not a tangent; it is the heart of the matter.

"Making" music is a note, or series of notes on an instrument be it percussion or strings or brass or voice or what have you. Timing, tone, pitch, ENDLESS creativity, all are parts of it. Then, there is this IMMENSE other side of the equation; what the listener hears and feels.

As varied as we all are as individuals, our tastes, our feelings, our perspectives, backgrounds, experiences, preferences, biases, everything that makes us up, THAT is where the pure joy of music lies, that imperative individuality. THAT is what makes it so special and so powerful and so important in our lives and video holds the enormous danger of diluting and marginalizing what an individual MAY have gotten from a given piece had they not been 'shown' what they are supposed to 'hear'.

I am a music snob. I live in a little metal bubble and make yourself look like an ass when I make fun of people who have an appreciations for more than head bangers music. That said, even within my metal bubble, what I 'hear' and feel and see in a given song is TOTALLY different than what folks I've been listening to given songs to for DECADES take away very different experiences.

It is that uniqueness that, to me, makes music so special. Not the packaging and lowest common denominator race to the bottom that tells us what we are to hear and feel and see.

:buddies: