Vinyl Fence

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Anyone use vinyl fence for your horse pasture? If so, please let me know the pros and cons from your experience.

Thanks so much!

fredsaid2

If you mean the PVC material that simulates board fencing .... hate it. It can crack and break leaving sharp points. I don't know it's cost vs board fencing but I know it's not cheap. If I were paying for 'maintenance free' I wouldn't expect that to mean, until the part splinters and must be replaced. I just wasn't impressed w/ the longevity at the last place I was at that had it.

Angel

~*~*~
I think it looks cheap. I saw a farm with that stuff surrounding the pastures and a few of the sections were drooping down as if it had melted. It looked like crap.

Cowgirl

Angel said:
I think it looks cheap. I saw a farm with that stuff surrounding the pastures and a few of the sections were drooping down as if it had melted. It looked like crap.

:yeahthat: And it is not sturdy at all....I would definitely run hot wire inside the fence....I could see a horse push right through it.

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
Cowgirl said:
:yeahthat: And it is not sturdy at all....I would definitely run hot wire inside the fence....I could see a horse push right through it.

It's not meant for containment, only ornamental purposes. It does break and leave sharp edges if you have the pins holding it in place and, if not, the rails just drop from the holes and a horse can just walk through. Definitely would not use for a pasture. JMO :howdy:

fredsaid2

Winn Dixie said:
It's not meant for containment, only ornamental purposes. It does break and leave sharp edges if you have the pins holding it in place and, if not, the rails just drop from the holes and a horse can just walk through. Definitely would not use for a pasture. JMO :howdy:

There are brands designed for horse fencing and they will take a certain amount of stress. They way the material breaks is my concern. All horse fencing should give under a high stress load. Better the damage to the material than to the horse. PVC tends to shatter, leaving pointed edges. The longer it's out in the elements the easier it tends to break especially in the cold.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
fredsaid2 said:
There are brands designed for horse fencing and they will take a certain amount of stress. They way the material breaks is my concern. All horse fencing should give under a high stress load. Better the damage to the material than to the horse. PVC tends to shatter, leaving pointed edges. The longer it's out in the elements the easier it tends to break especially in the cold.

I am looking at virgin vinyl fence (manufacturers say it is stronger than pvc and guarenteed not to shatter). It is supposed to be livestock grade. I have seen a lot of plastic fences that have boards that just pop out. I have also seen a lot that look really good. There is one farm on Brandywine road with the fence containing cattle. It looks GREAT! It has the four board x pattern. Has anyone seen problems with that type? I am just so tired of painting board fence.

The installer says that he can wire electric to to the fence also. Do you think that would stop the popping out problems you have seen?

Thanks so much for everyone's opinion.

fredsaid2

If the vinyl breaks differently than PVC maybe it would be a good choice. The two places I saw did not have electric, that might have made all the difference in keeping the boards intact longer. Could the vinyl rep give you a demonstration on how the material breaks under stress?

Do you just prefer the look of board fencing or have you looked at no-climb with a top board? I think you can get the top board as vinyl and you'd still have fairly maintenance free.

You might stop by the farms you saw and ask them about their fencing. If it stands up to cattle it must be pretty tough!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Busterduck said:
Anyone use vinyl fence for your horse pasture? If so, please let me know the pros and cons from your experience.

Thanks so much!

Good morning BD. How are you doing? :flowers:
I bought the Ramm vinyl fence but I am still looking for an installer. The vinyl fence you're talking about looks nice but I would be interested also in seeing how well it survives the change of weather over time. Do they have any farms they have done locally that they can provide you contacts with as references?

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
SouthernMdRocks said:
Good morning BD. How are you doing? :flowers:
I bought the Ramm vinyl fence but I am still looking for an installer. The vinyl fence you're talking about looks nice but I would be interested also in seeing how well it survives the change of weather over time. Do they have any farms they have done locally that they can provide you contacts with as references?

I will ask them; GREAT idea. The fence does come with a lifetime warrentee on splintering, chalking, shattering, and discoloration.

The farm in Brandywine with the four rail X is my favorite. It says Clinton on it. So I assume clinton installed it. The other that looks super nice is down the same road as Loveville Leather. It is a three rail and I have never seen either farm drop a board. Maybe the others that drop are installed incorrectly?

Ramm has a nice vinyl fence. I was looking at theirs too. Long Fence's has a brand that has 16 foot boards that go right through the middle post. It supposedly prevents the boards from popping out. They also have a notch on the ends too. Ramm has the notches too, doesn't it?

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
fredsaid2 said:
If the vinyl breaks differently than PVC maybe it would be a good choice. The two places I saw did not have electric, that might have made all the difference in keeping the boards intact longer. Could the vinyl rep give you a demonstration on how the material breaks under stress?

Do you just prefer the look of board fencing or have you looked at no-climb with a top board? I think you can get the top board as vinyl and you'd still have fairly maintenance free.

You might stop by the farms you saw and ask them about their fencing. If it stands up to cattle it must be pretty tough!

That's a really good idea. :flowers: I do prefer the look of board fencing. I just HATE replacing boards and painting. You have to paint every year if you use white paint.

I think I will stop by the farms that have the fence that I like; thanks so much for the idea. Do you think they would mind?

DQ2B

I have Centaur. It has a 30 year warranty, it was easy to put up and it now comes in electric as well which I used for just my top rail. LOVE IT!

Oh, and I bought the brown. No mold to wash off!

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Angel said:

Are you talking about the vinyl tape fence? They do seem hard to get to stay up. My neighbor down the street got rid of his pretty quickly... Of course, he spend gads of money on it first.

Thanks so much for your opinion.

fredsaid2

Busterduck said:
That's a really good idea. :flowers: I do prefer the look of board fencing. I just HATE replacing boards and painting. You have to paint every year if you use white paint.

I think I will stop by the farms that have the fence that I like; thanks so much for the idea. Do you think they would mind?

I think visiting the farms is worth a try. You know how people love to talk about their setups :smile: Good luck!

SouthernMdRocks

DQ2B said:
I have Centaur. It has a 30 year warranty, it was easy to put up and it now comes in electric as well which I used for just my top rail. LOVE IT!

Oh, and I bought the brown. No mold to wash off!

Please, who installed it for you???

DQ2B

SouthernMdRocks said:
Well that's what I might end up doing. Maybe I can get some pointers from you!!! :howdy:

Go to Double J fencing website or just do a search under Centaur Fence and Double J will come up. On the site you'll find installation guides. Print the centaur one (beware, it's long). We mostly followed that though only our corner posts are round. We also went to the outside of the posts on the corners, the rest is on the inside. I highly recommend the spinning jenny, it'll be much faster and easier on the back. We don't have much in the way of hills here so getting the fence tight and appealing to the eye wasn't hard but if you have lots of steep inclines then you may have more effort there.

SouthernMdRocks

DQ2B said:
Go to Double J fencing website or just do a search under Centaur Fence and Double J will come up. On the site you'll find installation guides. Print the centaur one (beware, it's long). We mostly followed that though only our corner posts are round. We also went to the outside of the posts on the corners, the rest is on the inside. I highly recommend the spinning jenny, it'll be much faster and easier on the back. We don't have much in the way of hills here so getting the fence tight and appealing to the eye wasn't hard but if you have lots of steep inclines then you may have more effort there.

Thanks, I'll find those guides. Now as far as corners, going to the outside, do you think that helps tension wise? Seems to make sense to me. :flowers: