Vinyl Fence

DQ2B

SouthernMdRocks said:
Thanks, I'll find those guides. Now as far as corners, going to the outside, do you think that helps tension wise? Seems to make sense to me. :flowers:

Yes, we did that because we also did NOT do diagonal braces. We didn't do the braces because we cemented telephone poles into the ground for our corners so we decided to skip that step. Anyway, we went outside to keep the rails from pulling too much on those posts.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
DQ2B said:
Yes, we did that because we also did NOT do diagonal braces. We didn't do the braces because we cemented telephone poles into the ground for our corners so we decided to skip that step. Anyway, we went outside to keep the rails from pulling too much on those posts.

Thanks for the tips and what is the jenny thing you mentioned, I assume some type of a post hole digger, and where do I get one?

DQ2B

SouthernMdRocks said:
Thanks for the tips and what is the jenny thing you mentioned, I assume some type of a post hole digger, and where do I get one?

Spinning jenny. It's for unrolling the fencing as you go along and put it in the brackets. It looks kind of like a big X shape and it rotates. So, you put it on the back of a 4-wheeler or pick-up, put a roll of the fencing on it and one person drives along as the other unwinds and puts the fence into the brackets. Goes very fast. I'm not even sure how you get the fence up without the jenny cause those suckers are really heavy. I can't imagine unwinding it manually.

FrmGrl

Get some!
DQ2B said:
I have Centaur. It has a 30 year warranty, it was easy to put up and it now comes in electric as well which I used for just my top rail. LOVE IT!

Oh, and I bought the brown. No mold to wash off!

I just bought the Centaur HTP. Also in brown. Its easy to install. My hubby and I are doing it ourselves. I was told to make sure we followed the installation guide for doing the corners. It does have a the warrenty as stated but must be installed to their specifications. It happens also to be on sale till January. Try horsefencedirect.com. Its very costly to buy from the dealers around here. Internet is your best price.

SouthernMdRocks

DQ2B said:
Spinning jenny. It's for unrolling the fencing as you go along and put it in the brackets. It looks kind of like a big X shape and it rotates. So, you put it on the back of a 4-wheeler or pick-up, put a roll of the fencing on it and one person drives along as the other unwinds and puts the fence into the brackets. Goes very fast. I'm not even sure how you get the fence up without the jenny cause those suckers are really heavy. I can't imagine unwinding it manually.

Guess I need to buy me one of those real quick before I start the process. Where did you get yours at?

Cowgirl

Please Please put your wire or 'rails' on the inside of the pasture...it drives me nuts when people put up their fence inside out.

SouthernMdRocks

Cowgirl said:
Please Please put your wire or 'rails' on the inside of the pasture...it drives me nuts when people put up their fence inside out.

I believe that is my plan and any help putting it up would be wonderful, hahaha.
We could have a fence raising party!!! :lmao:

DQ2B

Cowgirl said:

Who puts horse fencing on the outside :shocking:

DQ2B

SouthernMdRocks said:
Guess I need to buy me one of those real quick before I start the process. Where did you get yours at?

Got mine where I bought the fencing, (Double J)

Cowgirl

DQ2B said:
Who puts horse fencing on the outside :shocking:

You'd be amazed at the number of fences put up incorrectly...most of them being "top-notch" stables where all they care about is looks...

fredsaid2

There's an ad for Ramm fencing in the classifieds, 9 660 ft rolls. It's painful to see how expensive it is, thought I'm sure all fencing is costly.

Gooseneck

Just saw this (old) thread and wanted to add my experience with the Centaur vinyl tape fencing.

We used Centaur to fence in about 20 acres of pasture. We bought all of our fencing, posts, gates and supplies from the Hen Yard.

We generally followed the installation instructions noted in the Centaur book. We 'radiused' all of the corners which was rather time consuming, but worth it. It makes for easier mowing and pretty much prevents a horse from getting pinned during an altercation. We put the vinyl rail on the inside of all of the posts. We decided on using three rails.

One thing that I did during our recent expansion was to use exterior screws rather than galvanized nails. I wish I had done this from the start. Screws make any needed repairs or changes much easier. I purchased the screws (Grabber brand, very good quality) at the 84 Lumber in Charlotte Hall.

It was one of the pricier options especially intially, but there has been no maintenace costs so far.

S

saddlesore

fredsaid2 said:
If you mean the PVC material that simulates board fencing .... hate it. It can crack and break leaving sharp points.

Yeah, that. I worked at a barn with that type of fencing around the pastures - which were really extra large paddocks. Some time during the night one of the horses slid through the fence (must of been running quite fast), which splintered and cut up her leg down to the tendon. It's a good thing all the owner does is trail ride, because that's all the mare can be used for now anyway.

They had one strand of electric wire on the top rail.

FrmGrl

Get some!
Gooseneck said:
Just saw this (old) thread and wanted to add my experience with the Centaur vinyl tape fencing.

We used Centaur to fence in about 20 acres of pasture. We bought all of our fencing, posts, gates and supplies from the Hen Yard.

I have had mine since November and love it. Got the brown. Eve ran right into it the first day and bounced right back. I did not use the screws but wish I did, but still no problems. Braced all the corners though for support. Hubby and I did it ourselves. The only thing is after it got warm we did have to tighten it again and that was a bit of a pain. So far that is the only complaint.