Virginia Tech

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How???

SmallTown said:
Life could be worse. We could be terps :ohwell:

We're a basketball school that plays a little football.

You're a football factory whose only connection to basketball is "and 1".

As in your football record, every year.

11 and 1.

10 AND 1.

12 AND 1.

And so forth.

That must suck to always be that close, all the time and, well, never get it done.

Sad.

SmallTown

Football season!
Larry Gude said:
We're a basketball school that plays a little football.

You're a football factory whose only connection to basketball is "and 1".

As in your football record, every year.

11 and 1.

10 AND 1.

12 AND 1.

And so forth.

That must suck to always be that close, all the time and, well, never get it done.

Sad.
1st year in the ACC, conference champion in football.
1st year in the ACC, 4th in men's basketball (ahead of Maryland who had a losing conference record), including a win over Maryland towards the end of the year. If that makes you a basketball school, good job on being mediocre!
Sad indeed.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm sorry...

SmallTown said:
1st year in the ACC, conference champion in football.
1st year in the ACC, 4th in men's basketball (ahead of Maryland who had a losing conference record), including a win over Maryland towards the end of the year. If that makes you a basketball school, good job on being mediocre!
Sad indeed.

...I thought I'd done away with you for the time being.

Virginia Tech "Hokies" football: National titles: 0
"Hokie" Natrional titles in basketball: 0

University of Maryland Terrapins FOOTBALL national titles: 1
B'ball: 1

Was there anything else you wanted to know?

Fear the 'Hokie'???

FEAR THE TURTLE!

SmallTown

Football season!
Larry Gude said:
FEAR THE TURTLE!
Can you actually say that with a straight face? :killingme

When was the maryland football title? in the 50s? Time to move on...

More of "What have you done for me lately". Quite frankly MD had a couple of good seasons when the fridge came on board and won a conference crown. Something they will be hard pressed to see again. It was hard enough with FSU owning the conference, but now with VT and miami in the mix, say bye-bye.

As for basketball, I cheered for the terps when I lived in the state. Still like to watch them play (as long as they aren't playing VT) because I'm still in the DC area. I was upset for years when my beloved Celtics drafted Bias, and like a flower he died soon after he was picked. :crackhead:

MMDad

Lem Putt
SmallTown said:
Something that has smacked the terps around in football the last 2 years. Any other questions?

Yes. What is a Hokie? I know what a Terrapin is, but what is a Hokie?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
ST,

You should have given him the official school reference.

Here is the answer to that oft-posed question, "What's a Hokie?" and an explanation of other Tech traditions.

What is a Hokie? The origin of the word "Hokie" has nothing to do with a turkey. It was coined by O. M. Stull (class of 1896), who used it in a spirit yell he wrote for a competition.

Here's how that competition came to be held. Virginia Tech was founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution and was named Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1896, the Virginia General Assembly officially changed the college's name to Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, a name so long that citizens shortened it in popular usage to VPI. The original college cheer, which made reference to the original name of the institution, was no longer suitable. Thus, a contest was held to select a new spirit yell, and Stull won the $5 top prize for his cheer, now known as Old Hokie:

Hoki, Hoki, Hoki, Hy.
Techs, Techs, V.P.I.
Sola-Rex, Sola-Rah.
Polytechs - Vir-gin-ia.
Rae, Ri, V.P.I.

Later, the phrase "Team! Team! Team!" was added at the end, and an "e" was added to "Hoki."

Stull later said that he made up the word as an attention-grabber. Though he may not have known it, "Hokie" (in its various forms) has been around at least since 1842. According to Johann Norstedt, now a retired Virginia Tech English professor, "[Hokie was] a word that people used to express feeling, approval, excitement, surprise. Hokie, then, is a word like 'hooray,' or 'yeah,' or 'rah.'" Whatever its original meaning, the word in the popular cheer did, as Stull wanted, grab attention and has been a part of Virginia Tech tradition ever since.

SmallTown

Football season!
Ken King said:
ST,

You should have given him the official school reference.
I could have, but it is kind of fun to watch each and ever person ask that question, and they make it sound like the are looking for the holy grail and are the first person to ever ask the question :lmao:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Actually, I work with a lot of VT alums, so I knew the answer. I was just waiting for you to admit that a Hokie is NOTHING!!!!! A fake, a sham, made up, worthless.

SmallTown

Football season!
MMDad said:
Actually, I work with a lot of VT alums, so I knew the answer. I was just waiting for you to admit that a Hokie is NOTHING!!!!! A fake, a sham, made up, worthless.
Considering this fake, worthless sham has owned the terrapins recently, what does that say about the terps?

MMDad

Lem Putt
SmallTown said:
Considering this fake, worthless sham has owned the terrapins recently, what does that say about the terps?

Thanks for admitting that they are a fake worthless sham. I guess you are an Alum since you walked into that!

SmallTown

Football season!
MMDad said:
Thanks for admitting that they are a fake worthless sham. I guess you are an Alum since you walked into that!
Just wondering where exactly maryland exists in your eyes relative to how you described VT. Obviously you had no answer to that, must have confused you.