Waiting in a line to leave a store

TCROW

No, it's not. It's just behind the number one cause - shoplifting.
  • Shoplifting - 38.5%
  • Employee theft - 34.5%
  • Paperwork error - ~16%
  • Vendor fraud - ~7%
  • Unknown causes - ~6%

Fair enough, thanks for running that down. That wasn't always the case, but the overall point is really: it's not my job to surrender my 4th A rights to a private organization, unless such surrender is contractually specified as in Costco, etc. in order to help them prevent loss.

Goldenhawk

Maryland DOES officially recognize "shopkeeper's privilege", giving them the right to detain suspected shopkeepers. However, that is a key point - if you are not officially being accused of shoplifting, you may NOT be detained. However, they have every right to ASK you to show a receipt. You are fully within your Maryland legal rights to simply say "no" and keep walking. If they attempt to detain you, you may sue for false imprisonment.

This is different in a club store like BJs where your membership terms specifically include mandatory receipt checks; in that case you still cannot be falsely imprisoned, but they have every right to revoke your membership immediately.

With all that said, is it worth a fight? Be nice to the employee who's just following their job requirements; instead complain to the manager if you must. And if you're the kind to get riled up about your rights being denied, there are much bigger issues right now, including blatant gerrymandering taking away any hope of our SoMD votes making a difference at the national level.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The reality is that the vast majority of inventory shrinkage is internal from employee pilferage. As such, there’s absolutely no reason to harass people who come to your store to spend their money.
When I was on the Lowe's employee safety/shrink team at my old store in Illinois, we were told: 40% Internal theft, 40% Operational error, 20% External theft

nutz

Fair enough, thanks for running that down. That wasn't always the case, but the overall point is really: it's not my job to surrender my 4th A rights to a private organization, unless such surrender is contractually specified as in Costco, etc. in order to help them prevent loss.
Oh good grief, it s really very simple. You dont like a stores policy, dont shop there.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Lowe's stopped checking receipts after a profiling lawsuit in Philadelphia last year.

TCROW

Oh good grief, it s really very simple. You dont like a stores policy, dont shop there.

Sure. That’s a possibility. I don’t think this has happened more than a handful of times to me, and isn’t a pain point in life. I don’t shop anywhere that has a membership fee and thus had these inspections as part of our contract.

My response will always be the same though: smile, say no thanks, and wish them a blest day. It’s served me fine in life up to this point and I suspect will continue to do so.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
No, it's not. It's just behind the number one cause - shoplifting.
  • Shoplifting - 38.5%
  • Employee theft - 34.5%
  • Paperwork error - ~16%
  • Vendor fraud - ~7%
  • Unknown causes - ~6%

When I worked in food service, a lot of the truck drivers would always 'forget' a case or 3 on the truck. As long as someone signed for it, he was good to go. If you caught them, they always had the fallback I forgot excuse.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Funny..if they are checking all receipts, it wouldn't be profiling. Rather than stopping it, make sure all are checked.
Lowe's decided to take the easier way out...new CEO has more urgent things to fix.

Goldenhawk

Got to the door of Walmart on Saturday, and there was a line of 10 people waiting impatiently for an elderly checker who didn't seem capable of quickly doing anything. I just pulled gently on my wife's arm and we went around the line and right out the door. Not a word was said. I hope some of the rest of the sheep changed their mind about waiting when they saw us.