Waldorf Hike/Jog/Bike Trail

LadyWolf

I happen to notice going down to LaPlata on St. Charles Pkwy a path of sorts that starts right about at the White Plains Golf Course and goes down to the 4 way stop sign in LaPlata. Has anyone attempted the new trail? I'm just curious because they say that it's supposed to be 13 miles as of Dec 09. I would love to try it but a bit leary because it is Waldorf area and I don't need to get knocked to the ground, shot/stabbed and robbed for an MP3 or shoes by a bunch of idiots from DC or PG County. I have a feeling that this was a waste of money the county used. It's unfortunate!!!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Instead of carrying a couple of weights in each hand, try carrying a pair of Colt 1911 .45 autoloaders.
Should solve the problem :yay:

bobbyb

Try Laurel Spring Park on Radio Station Rd. Radio station Rd is the left hand turn about a mile before you get to the four way stop sigh in LaPlata on the St Charles Parkway extension.

Laurel Springs Park is located on Radio Station Road in La Plata. This facility offers a multitude of areas for residents to pursue their leisure interest. Developed facilities includes a very nice tot lot and playground, two small picnic pavilions and several informal areas with picnic tables. Athletic playing areas include: two full size baseball, five softball, three little league, one football, six soccer fields and one multi-purpose field. A number of these fields are lighted for evening play. Athletic fields are available for official league use by permit only. Laurel Springs Park is open from 9:00 a.m. until dusk. During athletic events, the Park remains open later into the evening. There is also a Hot Dog stand with toilet facilities.

The Park also has a year round hiking path that is about 2 miles around. The park is fenced in and seems to be safe, there are always park workers there during the day. I have walked my 110lb Golden Retriever there a lot over the last few years and nobody bothers me...

UpChuckMan

Upper Charles County :-)
I don't think that the sidewalk on St. Charles Parkway is the 13 mile bike trail you are thinking of. Although I have not seen it yet, Indian Head Rail Trail (Trail officially open) was to be built on the old railroad track between White Plains and Indian Head.
Originally it was going to Start by the Health Department building on 301 in White Plains (across from 84 Lumber or there about).

UpChuckMan

Upper Charles County :-)
One other note, according to the article "The trail, which offers scenic overlooks, interpretive signs and intermittent parking areas, will connect to Bensville Park near Waldorf and will provide access to the state's 2,479-acre Mattawoman Natural Environmental Area in Mason Springs"

Bensville Park is located on Bensville Road (Rt. 229) between the Pomfret and Waldorf Communities.

Bensville Park
6980 Bensville Rd.
White Plains, MD 20695

Driving Directions (Charles County Government - Driving Directions)

LadyWolf

I don't think that the sidewalk on St. Charles Parkway is the 13 mile bike trail you are thinking of. Although I have not seen it yet, Indian Head Rail Trail (Trail officially open) was to be built on the old railroad track between White Plains and Indian Head.
Originally it was going to Start by the Health Department building on 301 in White Plains (across from 84 Lumber or there about).

Actually, there is a path starts in front of White Plains Golf Course that has a dotted line down the center. It goes from there all the way down to the 4 way just before you get to the new shopping center where Giant is located. I wasn't sure if this was the "new" trail they were referring to or not. It's paved, yellow dotted line and it goes for about 2 miles. That must be it according to the article. Hm, could be a little scary!!!

Last edited:

Palthainon

Waste of money?

That path is used all of the time. Its gotten more people out of their cars than anything else around here. They need more of these paths that actually go to stores and schools.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I was reading this thinking the rail trail is built and open, then realized it's a 4 year old thread. :whistle: