We Believe and We Stand Against Slots

ImnoMensa

I will be voting against slots in Maryland when it come up on the referendum.

Why should I help enrich race track owners and National harbor owners who do not live in Maryland, especially after they screwed over St. Mary's business people so they could help these a-holes and enrich themselves.

I will be voting against slots in Maryland when it come up on the referendum.

Why should I help enrich race track owners and National harbor owners who do not live in Maryland, especially after they screwed over St. Mary's business people so they could help these a-holes and enrich themselves.
National Harbor is not getting slots.

Local St. Mary's business people were getting shafted by the company in Baltimore that owned the slot machines they had down here.

If people are dumb enough to play slots, why should the state be dumb enough to make them drive to WV, Penn or De to play when we can get them to stay here to play?

I am all for slots, and I don't even play them.

ImnoMensa

National Harbor is not getting slots.

Local St. Mary's business people were getting shafted by the company in Baltimore that owned the slot machines they had down here.

If people are dumb enough to play slots, why should the state be dumb enough to make them drive to WV, Penn or De to play when we can get them to stay here to play?

I am all for slots, and I don't even play them.

I dont bet,but if I did I would bet the farm that National Harbor will get slots.
I would also bet that no matter how the referendum turns out the legislature will vote for slots.

You ask why this state should be sending all the slot money to Del and W.Va. Ask the same stupid assed Democrats who turned down slots when Ehrlich asked for them. Maybe they can tell you.

I also believe the slot owners were shafting the St. Mary's business owners and the local charities that were being helped,but I believe that could have been worked out. Certainly the machines werent removed because the businessmen were being shafted, They were removed because the slot money was cutting into the Lottery money, and because the state and county werent getting their split. The state and county could care less who gets shafted as long as it isnt them.

Vince

Don't really care one way or the other, but you can be sure that MOM and the state of Md will get their share if they bring the slots in. And good ole MOM will probably waste the income on something stupid.

ImnoMensa

Don't really care one way or the other, but you can be sure that MOM and the state of Md will get their share if they bring the slots in. And good ole MOM will probably waste the income on something stupid.

Are you speaking of his share or what he plans to leave for the state.?

SamSpade

I'm pretty much FOR slots, but only in that the neighboring states are siphoning off of Maryland for their slot dollars. Putting them here just means that slots will put money in Maryland, where they can benefit Marylanders.

I'm pretty much FOR slots, but only in that the neighboring states are siphoning off of Maryland for their slot dollars. Putting them here just means that slots will put money in Maryland, where they can benefit Marylanders.
That's my stance as well.

The Oyster Guy

Ahhh, the old "they're doing it, so we better do it too" logic.

I can't wait until PA legalizes prostitution and marijuana - we'll be having a grand 'ol time in MD shortly thereafter!

And maybe MD can legalize marrying your cousin, just like WVA. Then MD can have a huge demographic clapped-out, inbred, flat broke stoners...

Wait, that already describes PG County, doesn't it? :roflmao:

SamSpade

Ahhh, the old "they're doing it, so we better do it too" logic.

Not quite. If you read what I said - the slots in those other states are making the majority of their money from *Marylanders*. To make money here, all you have to do is move the slots across the state line, and the same people will pump their dollars into Maryland. They either spend their money there, or here.

bcp

In My Opinion
I will vote against them for no other reason than the GA and OweMalley wants them.

personally I dont care either way.

The Oyster Guy

Not quite. If you read what I said - the slots in those other states are making the majority of their money from *Marylanders*. To make money here, all you have to do is move the slots across the state line, and the same people will pump their dollars into Maryland. They either spend their money there, or here.

So Maryland can't live without that money? How are we managing to survive now?

It's a false choice being offered us... Maryland doesn't need MORE revenue - we need LESS spending.

SamSpade

So Maryland can't live without that money? How are we managing to survive now?

It's a false choice being offered us... Maryland doesn't need MORE revenue - we need LESS spending.

Maryland doesn't need more *taxes*. They could always use more revenue, even if it arrives by means of spending less.

For one thing, I've played slots everywhere - west coast, east coast, cruise ships, riverboats - I have no problem with them at all. They have the cultural poison of *bingo*. Outlawing slots is like outlawing raffle tickets. They are completely harmless.

For another, places like Charlestown WV is just miles from Frederick, and almost to the last person, their customers are Marylanders. If you make it legal in Maryland, the same, the very same people no longer have to haul ass to WV - they can just spend their money here.

It doesn't COST Maryland to allow them. It's currently a mild drain on revenue for which the only means of stopping it is to either forbid Marylanders to go out of state to gamble - impossible and illegal - stop neighboring states from allowing them - not legal or possible - or to permit them here.

I honest to God can't see a problem with it. We don't "need" slots, but there's certainly nothing wrong with having them either.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Slot machines used to be legal in some counties in Maryland; St. Mary's, Charles, Calvert I think, Garret, and some others. Waldorf was known as little Las Vegas. Lots of big motels with rooms full of slots. Wall's Bakery was the WigWam and the part that looks like a teepee was full of slots. There were some really great restaurants, too. Big name talent used to play in Waldorf just like Vegas. People from all over the east coast used to come to Waldorf to play the slots and go to the shows.

Then there was a nut from New Jersey, I think, that mortgaged his house to play the slots. Then he couldn't pay the mortgage, lost his house, and complained to a newspaper (Post?). The paper started a hue and cry to get the slots banned.

The real estate taxes were very low back then. The year after slots were made illegal the property taxes tripled and have been going up and up since. Waldorf became a ghost town, Most of the big motels closed. No big shows because there was no draw for people. The restaurants followed.

Gambling is not a good thing. Neither is drunkenness and lots of other things. It does not matter whether the state of Maryland provides a place or Delaware, New Jersey, or West Virginia. People will still squander their money on things they should not. But if the income from the slots lowers the taxes we pay (fat chance - a politician cutting taxes in Maryland? :killingme), or brings in good restaurants :)drool:), then I'm along for the good food.

The Oyster Guy

Maryland doesn't need more *taxes*. They could always use more revenue, even if it arrives by means of spending less.

For one thing, I've played slots everywhere - west coast, east coast, cruise ships, riverboats - I have no problem with them at all. They have the cultural poison of *bingo*. Outlawing slots is like outlawing raffle tickets. They are completely harmless.

For another, places like Charlestown WV is just miles from Frederick, and almost to the last person, their customers are Marylanders. If you make it legal in Maryland, the same, the very same people no longer have to haul ass to WV - they can just spend their money here.

It doesn't COST Maryland to allow them. It's currently a mild drain on revenue for which the only means of stopping it is to either forbid Marylanders to go out of state to gamble - impossible and illegal - stop neighboring states from allowing them - not legal or possible - or to permit them here.

I honest to God can't see a problem with it. We don't "need" slots, but there's certainly nothing wrong with having them either.

Now I understand where you're coming from... you're the dude who hangs-out in the liquor store all day playing Keno! :howdy:

The Oyster Guy

Slot machines used to be legal in some counties in Maryland; St. Mary's, Charles, Calvert I think, Garret, and some others. Waldorf was known as little Las Vegas. Lots of big motels with rooms full of slots. Wall's Bakery was the WigWam and the part that looks like a teepee was full of slots. There were some really great restaurants, too. Big name talent used to play in Waldorf just like Vegas. People from all over the east coast used to come to Waldorf to play the slots and go to the shows.

Then there was a nut from New Jersey, I think, that mortgaged his house to play the slots. Then he couldn't pay the mortgage, lost his house, and complained to a newspaper (Post?). The paper started a hue and cry to get the slots banned.

The real estate taxes were very low back then. The year after slots were made illegal the property taxes tripled and have been going up and up since. Waldorf became a ghost town, Most of the big motels closed. No big shows because there was no draw for people. The restaurants followed.

Gambling is not a good thing. Neither is drunkenness and lots of other things. It does not matter whether the state of Maryland provides a place or Delaware, New Jersey, or West Virginia. People will still squander their money on things they should not. But if the income from the slots lowers the taxes we pay (fat chance - a politician cutting taxes in Maryland? :killingme), or brings in good restaurants :)drool:), then I'm along for the good food.

Actually, what Maryland desperately needs is LESS revenue, LESS spending, and consequently LESS services. That would drive-out the riffraff who depend on BigGovernment to take care of them. Let 'em all move to PA and DE and mooch from the system there - I'll be just fine taking care of myself here, and without any government assistance programs.

Slots = more Government.

T.Rally

Actually, what Maryland desperately needs is LESS revenue, LESS spending, and consequently LESS services. That would drive-out the riffraff who depend on BigGovernment to take care of them. Let 'em all move to PA and DE and mooch from the system there - I'll be just fine taking care of myself here, and without any government assistance programs.

Slots = more Government.

So effectively, you have no problem with ending a $1.0 billion industry in the state of Md?

If the tracks in PA, WVa, and DE can offer bigger payouts because they allow slots, how are MD Tracks suppose to compete?

Short answer is; they won't.

Preakness and its 29.0 million in annual revenue...Poof gone.

ImnoMensa

So effectively, you have no problem with ending a $1.0 billion industry in the state of Md?

If the tracks in PA, WVa, and DE can offer bigger payouts because they allow slots, how are MD Tracks suppose to compete?

I remember when there were also tracks at Bowie and Upper Marlboro, but a crooked Democrat Governor gave their dates to the bigger tracks. that was a big boon to racing wasnt it?

This is just another scam in the same light.

The Oyster Guy

Horse racing is an anachronism anyhow - those tracks would make a lot more money if they were converted to auto racing. And if they ever were to legalize gambling on auto racing... Katie bar the door - talk about a cash cow!

And FWIW, I have a hard time accepting anything as an "industry" when it produces neither goods nor services. Manufacture me a widget, or repair and/or wash my widget collection - and then you can call yourself an industry...