Weather App for Android

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Been using Storm Radar from the Weather Channel for quite a while, happy with it. Service and support will be discontinued at the end of the month, so they 'recommended' to download their newer version. In a word, it sucks. Have to scroll forever thru ad after ad to find any pertinent info, and it's just not clean and easy to read. Looked thru the available apps on Play Store, but most seem to be created overseas and many use too many features of the phone, like access to Contacts or the camera.

So, any recommendations for a good, clean presenting, informative and free weather app?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've been using Accuweather for several years.
Thanx. AccuWeather is "built-in", supplied with my phone. The one thing I use the most often is radar maps, and to get to it requires too many steps and scrolls, where the radar screen was the first screen you saw in Storm Radar. Also noticed the maps don't pan, only zoom.
I use Wunderground .... now owned by IBM
I had that installed at one point, and deleted it for some reason. I'll go back and look at it again.

DaSDGuy

Been using Storm Radar from the Weather Channel for quite a while, happy with it. Service and support will be discontinued at the end of the month, so they 'recommended' to download their newer version. In a word, it sucks. Have to scroll forever thru ad after ad to find any pertinent info, and it's just not clean and easy to read. Looked thru the available apps on Play Store, but most seem to be created overseas and many use too many features of the phone, like access to Contacts or the camera.

So, any recommendations for a good, clean presenting, informative and free weather app?
Hyperlocal Weather is interesting. Powered by Dark Sky.

Last edited:

1stGenSMIB

I used "Raindar" for a while, it was just radar..but now it is always clear so it must be broken. Might try "My Radar"..I already usually know WHAT the weather is going to do, I just want simple full screen low ad radar.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I've used Weather Underground for years on my cell phone. No problems and shows it radar below the current temperature and conditions on the top of the app.

General Lee

I stick to my tried and true primitive weather station. A rock hanging from a tree limb. When the rock is dry it’s not raining. When the rock is wet it’s raining. If the rock is flying horizontal to the ground it’s windy out. Hasn’t failed me yet.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Still on the hunt for a weather radar app. Tried the ones you guys suggested, and they are pretty good, but what I'm finding is that they are battery hogs. They use so much battery that Android actually flagged them and said 'Hey, this app is using a lot of power, do you want to put it to sleep?' I had my phone plugged into my laptop to charge, and one app was pulling power faster than the phone could recharge. :yikes: I could watch the charge percentage drop while watching.

Thinking General Lee's app is still the best...

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, as a 365 day a rider, Wunderground was my go-to as it draws on local stations, both official and amateur's, lets me "micro-cast"

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I usually open Wunderground for current conditions and Weather.com for past and future predictions.