weed identification

Triggerfish

I have a lot of weeds growing in my backyard. I've tried a couple of different weed killers and I'm about to try the 3rd one. Does anyone know where I can take a sample and get a definate identification of the weed? Wentworth wasn't really helpful. Maybe a botanist?

Vince

Probably chick weed. Lots of it around and different types. Get yourself an Ortho dial-a-spray and some lawn weed killer. It hooks up to your garden hose and set the dial for whatever it requires for that weed killer. Don't get vegetation killer. That stuff kills everything. :yikes:

Triggerfish

Vince said:
Probably chick weed. Lots of it around and different types. Get yourself an Ortho dial-a-spray and some lawn weed killer. It hooks up to your garden hose and set the dial for whatever it requires for that weed killer. Don't get vegetation killer. That stuff kills everything. :yikes:

tried it with 2 different weed killers....no luck.

Triggerfish

The lady at Wentworth's think it's Johnson grass, which can grow up to 8 ft tall. Tallest it got so far is about a foot.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Triggerfish said:
The lady at Wentworth's think it's Johnson grass, which can grow up to 8 ft tall. Tallest it got so far is about a foot.

It's still got time to grow then. :yay:

I had some weed grasses on my back hill last week that were almost 4' high (my son finally cut them down). My GSD disappeared into them when he went outside. :lol: I'd have left them there, but he kept coming inside covered in seed and then shaking off. :roflmao:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Triggerfish said:
Johnson grass is bad news. In certain places in the country, you can be fined if they find it growing on your property. A friend of mine bought 50 acres in Virginia and had that happen. They had to handpick it out from the field because NOTHING killed it.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
jazz lady said:
Johnson grass is bad news. In certain places in the country, you can be fined if they find it growing on your property. A friend of mine bought 50 acres in Virginia and had that happen. They had to handpick it out from the field because NOTHING killed it.
Why do they fine you for something you really can't control. It's not like your encouraging it to grow. :confused:

Triggerfish

I bought a weed killer from Bayer that states johnson grass as one of the weeds that it will work on. I guess I just have to try it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Bustem' Down said:
Why do they fine you for something you really can't control. It's not like your encouraging it to grow. :confused:
I guess because it's such an invasive pest, you are responsible for controlling it on your property. :shrug:

cholo

¡Tengo una tarjeta verde!
Bustem' Down said:
I did 10 years in Rykers for dandelion distribution.