Weight loss, hanging skin, now what?

DebBVSF

Need advice on what to do next, please!

I have lost a total of 69 pounds in about 4 1/2 years by watching what I eat, without depravation. I am a 47 yo female with a crazy schedule. Can't afford to go to the gym, so that's out. I am interested in finding really good things to do at home. I currently own an inclining treadmill, hand weights, ankle weights and one of those big balls. Don't have a clue how to get started. I would like to develop a regular routine but am whiney about keeping it interesting and fresh. I know the ball would be good for my stomach, but I don't know what to do once I am on there ie: how many of what and for how long, etc. Same thing with the treadmill, I know how to turn it on and I understand the settings for speed, incline, etc., but don't know for how long and what combinations, etc. The hand and ankle weights, yes I know how to put them on, but again, not sure exactly how to move my arms, repitions, etc.

Any and all help would be much appreciated! Or if someone could guide me to a great website, that would be cool, too!

Thanks a bunch!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

I have lost a total of 69 pounds in about 4 1/2 years by watching what I eat, without depravation. I am a 47 yo female with a crazy schedule. Can't afford to go to the gym, so that's out. I am interested in finding really good things to do at home. I currently own an inclining treadmill, hand weights, ankle weights and one of those big balls. Don't have a clue how to get started. I would like to develop a regular routine but am whiney about keeping it interesting and fresh. I know the ball would be good for my stomach, but I don't know what to do once I am on there ie: how many of what and for how long, etc. Same thing with the treadmill, I know how to turn it on and I understand the settings for speed, incline, etc., but don't know for how long and what combinations, etc. The hand and ankle weights, yes I know how to put them on, but again, not sure exactly how to move my arms, repitions, etc.

Any and all help would be much appreciated! Or if someone could guide me to a great website, that would be cool, too!

Thanks a bunch!
I don't have any help for you, but congratulations on what you've accomplished up to this point.

thistle

Congratulations on your weight loss, I know how hard it is, especially when it's primarily from a diet change alone.

It's hard to give you specific advice without knowing what your goals are and what kind of shape you're in after your weight loss. Do you want to lose more weight? Do you want to get into the normal range on the BMI scale? Do you want to tone and firm up so you can hit the beach in a new bikini this summer? Do you want to run a half marathon? Do you want to lower your cholesterol?

Since you have a treadmill, I would offer this plan to get in the cardiovascular shape you need to run a 5K in only 9 weeks. In the process you will burn fat, strengthen your legs and improve your overall health.
Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

I generally advocate full body exercise, meaning doing strength training in addition to the cardio work. For that you would need more equipment than simply ankle and wrist weights, but again, without knowing your goals I can't really offer suggestions in that area.

Do a Google search for "exercise ball ab workouts" and you'll get a bunch of videos and links on how to use the ball.

It's important to know that you can't spot reduce fat on your body so you can't target specific areas. You generally lose fat from places in the reverse order that you gained it which is why I push for full body fitness. That way when the fat comes off, everything looks nice and toned.

The last thing I'll add is that when you add exercise to your regimen, you have to account for that in what you eat. There is a calculation you can do that will tell you how many calories a day you need to eat in order to maintain your current weight. It takes into account your age, gender, height, weight and activity level. If your goal is to lose weight you eat 500-750 calories less than your maintenance level. If you eat less than about 1000 calories under that your body will actually go into "starvation mode" and that's unhealthy all around. In many cases of people who can't seem to lose weight it's because they actually need to eat more. It seems backwards, but it's true. I can tell you more about this calculation once you've shared some more specifics about what your fitness goals are.

I think she's asking on what she can do to tighten her loose skin that is hanging because it is no longer housing the mass it used to.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

I have lost a total of 69 pounds in about 4 1/2 years by watching what I eat, without depravation. I am a 47 yo female with a crazy schedule. Can't afford to go to the gym, so that's out. I am interested in finding really good things to do at home.

I got a Wii Fit for Christmas, have lost a few pounds but have also knocked of an inch from my waist line. There are several other cardio/fitness video games of various intensity that use the motion sensors and keep track of your progress

sweetandsassy

I think she's asking on what she can do to tighten her loose skin that is hanging because it is no longer housing the mass it used to.

Well if that's the case then there is nothing she can do. the loose skin will have to be surgically removed. you can loose all the weight you want and that skin will only shrink up so far, I know I have recently lost 17lbs myself and still have the loose skin from pregnancy..would give anything for a tummy tuck...but that's money there!

DebBVSF

I got a Wii Fit for Christmas, have lost a few pounds but have also knocked of an inch from my waist line. There are several other cardio/fitness video games of various intensity that use the motion sensors and keep track of your progress

Somehow, I managed to forget about all the really cool stuff that's out there like Wii Fit! Will definately look into that! Thanks!

DebBVSF

Congratulations on your weight loss, I know how hard it is, especially when it's primarily from a diet change alone.

It's hard to give you specific advice without knowing what your goals are and what kind of shape you're in after your weight loss. Do you want to lose more weight? Do you want to get into the normal range on the BMI scale? Do you want to tone and firm up so you can hit the beach in a new bikini this summer? Do you want to run a half marathon? Do you want to lower your cholesterol?

Since you have a treadmill, I would offer this plan to get in the cardiovascular shape you need to run a 5K in only 9 weeks. In the process you will burn fat, strengthen your legs and improve your overall health.
Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

I generally advocate full body exercise, meaning doing strength training in addition to the cardio work. For that you would need more equipment than simply ankle and wrist weights, but again, without knowing your goals I can't really offer suggestions in that area.

Do a Google search for "exercise ball ab workouts" and you'll get a bunch of videos and links on how to use the ball.

It's important to know that you can't spot reduce fat on your body so you can't target specific areas. You generally lose fat from places in the reverse order that you gained it which is why I push for full body fitness. That way when the fat comes off, everything looks nice and toned.

The last thing I'll add is that when you add exercise to your regimen, you have to account for that in what you eat. There is a calculation you can do that will tell you how many calories a day you need to eat in order to maintain your current weight. It takes into account your age, gender, height, weight and activity level. If your goal is to lose weight you eat 500-750 calories less than your maintenance level. If you eat less than about 1000 calories under that your body will actually go into "starvation mode" and that's unhealthy all around. In many cases of people who can't seem to lose weight it's because they actually need to eat more. It seems backwards, but it's true. I can tell you more about this calculation once you've shared some more specifics about what your fitness goals are.

My goal is to have a more toned look than what I have. I feel I am at a pretty darn good weight (151) for my height (5'7") and frame which is a medium one - I could carry the weight and nobody (including myself) knew how overweight I was until it started coming off. I look and feel really great in clothes, I just have this skin on my tummy, yuck - it's not horribly bad, just needs some fine tuning. I'd like to tone my upper arms a little, too. My legs are in pretty good shape, again, would like to tone. My butt has all but disappeared - would love to perk it up a little bit. Considering my age, I totally understand that there is only so much I can do - I am not trying to have my 20 year old body back - I just want to tone up what I have now.

I don't currently count calories - I guess I should start doing that? I typically will eat a Special K bar for breakfast, then every couple of hours I will do small "snacks" like a hard boiled egg, serving of fresh fruit, handful of almonds, water all day (coffee in the am), for lunch a frozen health/diet meal then usually by dinner I am not hungry - if I do eat, it's something light like a spinach salad or some chicken and steamed veggies and I don't eat past 7pm.

Do you know what the formula is for calculating BMI? Am curious what mine is....

Thanks for the information - it is much appreciated! I can't wait to get going on something....

Toxick

Splat

Thanks a bunch!

First of all, congratulations on the success in your weight loss. Given the fact that you've lost it over the span of a few years, rather than in 90 days (or something ridiculously fast) says that you're most likely going to keep it off! So cheers to you! :yay:

About your topic though - More exercise isn't going to do anything about loose or hanging skin. It will tone your muscle, and I encourage all the activities you suggested, but deflated skin is what it is. If you simply can't abide the skin, then you will have to talk to a cosmetic surgeon who can advise you on what to do. It will entail a little liposuction and skin removal (i.e. nipping & tucking), however this is very expensive and very painful, and will require a bit of recovery time.

Also skin has a way of snapping back. Before you hit the doctor, I would suggest waiting it out for at least a year - maybe a year and a half. This will give your skin time to recover as much as it can. Depending on how overweight you were, there may be some skin that will never recover to it's original smooth flat condition. This will likely be in the lower abdomen, the neck, the backs of the arms, and where your butt meets your legs. While you're waiting, use cocoa butter moisturizer every day after you shower. That's awesome stuff for skin. Taking vitamin E suppliments probably couldn't hurt either.

Waiting will also allow your weight to stablize, and you definitely want to wait and see if you're weight is going to fluctuate. If you get surgery to remove bingo wings and a dunlop right away - and then find out in 6 months you've put on 10-15 pounds, you're going to stretch out the beautiful skin you paid so much money and pain for.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Congratulations and best of luck to you!

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Most health insurance will cover the cost to have the excess removed IF a physician determins the excess is interfereing with your daily life such as
1. Unable to wear undergarments or clothing without discomfort, pinching or bruising
2. the excess (especially the 'apron') is or will cause you to be unable to maintain good hygeine
3. you develop rashes or infections in folds
If, like me, you've had yourself diagnosed as 'Obese' and it's in you're health records, then they will also allow 'correction' of your body after weight loss. BUT - they will only do from the neck-down. Even tho a sagging face is a by product of weight loss, they still consider it cosmetic unless it interferes somehow - like if you had really droopy upper eyelids causing your vision to be affected.

Most plastic surgeons will work to get insurance to pay for 'corrective' surgery. There's also a cosmetic credit program- no interest if paid within 12 or 24 months depending on the need.
I'm in the same boat once I finish losing the 90-100lbs (down by 40 so far), but I already have been told that I am a cadidate for a body lift.

I've decided on who's doing my face, but not the body. I'm still researching that.

thistle

The other posters are accurate about the loose skin, it's not something exercise can fix because our bodies don't metabolize skin. However, I've been doing a little reading about that problem today and there is a little you can do to help. In the end, surgery is truly the only way to completely get rid of the excess but you might be able to improve the situation to a point where you are satisfied or at least will put you in a place where surgery will have a higher chance of complete success. The first thing I would do is talk to a dermatologist about your options. Here are some links to peruse:
Team Beachbody - Newsletters (scroll down to the loose skin portion)
How to Tighten up Loose Skin After Weight Loss | eHow.com
Plastic Surgery After Weight Loss - Watch WebMD Video

But not all hope is lost! Exercise will help to some degree because your body composition will change, you'll further drop body fat and add on muscle mass. Your weight right now puts you right in the normal range on the BMI scale. Admittedly, BMI doesn't tell the whole story, but at least you're starting from a good place.
Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

Your diet is pretty much exactly what I would recommend although I would encourage you to make it a point to eat dinner, and eat it no sooner than 3 hours before you go to bed. This will help your metabolism while you're sleeping. I also suggest to finish your meal with green tea. You are already doing yourself a big favor by eating breakfast and continuing with small meals and snacks throughout the day. It's no wonder you were able to lose so much by dieting alone.

the equation you want to do is called the Harris-Benedict equation.
Go to this link and fill in the info to get you Basal Metabolic Rate:
BMR Calculator

Then multiply the number you get by one of the following factors based on your current level of activity:
1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

In your case if you consider yourself moderately active (treadmill 30-60 minutes, 3-5 days a week) then your maintenance level would be about 2180 calories a day. If you eat that many calories a day and do the exercise, your weight will not go up or down significantly. You will certainly lose body fat % over time while increasing your muscle mass though, and that's where the money is.

I don't advocate for strict calorie counting because then it becomes obsessive and gets in the way of you living your life. I prefer to estimate but it takes some practice to get comfortable knowing how many calories are in everything you eat. A good starting place is a website like fatsecret.com or livestrong.com where they have a database of the nutritional info on all of the common foods and many restaurant chains, or grocery store products. You can enter in what you ate and keep a tally that way, or just keep a journal. Again, after a while you'll get a feel for how many calories are in a handful of almonds, or a grilled chicken salad and you won't need the journal as much.

Do you have any health issues that would prohibit any kinds of activities? Knee problems, arthritis, previous sports injury, that type of thing? I ask because there are a number of really great programs that you can do in your home that can help you with the areas you said you'd like to improve. Palates and yoga come to mind right away. There are inexpensive DVDs at BJs for these workouts, or you can go with a more pricey option that is a more complete solution. I use Beachbody products and have seen awesome results. For most people it seems that changing their diet is the hardest part and since you've already done that, adopting one of these might be right up your alley.

If that's not something you want to do, start with the cardio workout I mentioned before and set a goal to run a 5K this spring. I did it last year and not only did I finish (started from being sedentary) but I got a better time than I anticipated. If that workout leaves you wanting more, put on the ankle weights for your jogging. I'm sure you can either find a cheap DVDs at BJs, or some videos on youtube to show you what exercises to do for your upper body and abs.

nomoney

Somehow, I managed to forget about all the really cool stuff that's out there like Wii Fit! Will definately look into that! Thanks!

don't just look into the wii fit, check out their dance games as well. Tons of fun and most have "work out modes". I burn so many calories doing those and I don't even realize it. Just Dance is one as well as Zumba

DebBVSF

First of all, congratulations on the success in your weight loss. Given the fact that you've lost it over the span of a few years, rather than in 90 days (or something ridiculously fast) says that you're most likely going to keep it off! So cheers to you! :yay:

About your topic though - More exercise isn't going to do anything about loose or hanging skin. It will tone your muscle, and I encourage all the activities you suggested, but deflated skin is what it is. If you simply can't abide the skin, then you will have to talk to a cosmetic surgeon who can advise you on what to do. It will entail a little liposuction and skin removal (i.e. nipping & tucking), however this is very expensive and very painful, and will require a bit of recovery time.

Also skin has a way of snapping back. Before you hit the doctor, I would suggest waiting it out for at least a year - maybe a year and a half. This will give your skin time to recover as much as it can. Depending on how overweight you were, there may be some skin that will never recover to it's original smooth flat condition. This will likely be in the lower abdomen, the neck, the backs of the arms, and where your butt meets your legs. While you're waiting, use cocoa butter moisturizer every day after you shower. That's awesome stuff for skin. Taking vitamin E suppliments probably couldn't hurt either.

Waiting will also allow your weight to stablize, and you definitely want to wait and see if you're weight is going to fluctuate. If you get surgery to remove bingo wings and a dunlop right away - and then find out in 6 months you've put on 10-15 pounds, you're going to stretch out the beautiful skin you paid so much money and pain for.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Congratulations and best of luck to you!

Thank you!

I have maintained my current weight for about 6+months and I have seen a difference in the elasticity of the skin on my stomach and just simply exfoliating and moisturizing every day has made some of the wrinkles smooth out - so I am hoping that no surgery is needed - besides, the skins isn't like the pictures and videos we often seen splashed all over the place - it's not horrific looking. If I continue to do the above mentioned things, in addition to adding some toning exercises, I think I might be ok. Not bikini ok, but more comfortable with my self image.

Thank you, again!

DebBVSF

Most health insurance will cover the cost to have the excess removed IF a physician determins the excess is interfereing with your daily life such as
1. Unable to wear undergarments or clothing without discomfort, pinching or bruising
2. the excess (especially the 'apron') is or will cause you to be unable to maintain good hygeine
3. you develop rashes or infections in folds
If, like me, you've had yourself diagnosed as 'Obese' and it's in you're health records, then they will also allow 'correction' of your body after weight loss. BUT - they will only do from the neck-down. Even tho a sagging face is a by product of weight loss, they still consider it cosmetic unless it interferes somehow - like if you had really droopy upper eyelids causing your vision to be affected.

Most plastic surgeons will work to get insurance to pay for 'corrective' surgery. There's also a cosmetic credit program- no interest if paid within 12 or 24 months depending on the need.
I'm in the same boat once I finish losing the 90-100lbs (down by 40 so far), but I already have been told that I am a cadidate for a body lift.

I've decided on who's doing my face, but not the body. I'm still researching that.

None of the things you listed are an issue with me - the hanging skin is not really bad enough to be laying on other parts of my body. Thank you for your input, though!

Last edited:

DebBVSF

The other posters are accurate about the loose skin, it's not something exercise can fix because our bodies don't metabolize skin. However, I've been doing a little reading about that problem today and there is a little you can do to help. In the end, surgery is truly the only way to completely get rid of the excess but you might be able to improve the situation to a point where you are satisfied or at least will put you in a place where surgery will have a higher chance of complete success. The first thing I would do is talk to a dermatologist about your options. Here are some links to peruse:
Team Beachbody - Newsletters (scroll down to the loose skin portion)
How to Tighten up Loose Skin After Weight Loss | eHow.com
Plastic Surgery After Weight Loss - Watch WebMD Video

But not all hope is lost! Exercise will help to some degree because your body composition will change, you'll further drop body fat and add on muscle mass. Your weight right now puts you right in the normal range on the BMI scale. Admittedly, BMI doesn't tell the whole story, but at least you're starting from a good place.
Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

Your diet is pretty much exactly what I would recommend although I would encourage you to make it a point to eat dinner, and eat it no sooner than 3 hours before you go to bed. This will help your metabolism while you're sleeping. I also suggest to finish your meal with green tea. You are already doing yourself a big favor by eating breakfast and continuing with small meals and snacks throughout the day. It's no wonder you were able to lose so much by dieting alone.

the equation you want to do is called the Harris-Benedict equation.
Go to this link and fill in the info to get you Basal Metabolic Rate:
BMR Calculator

Then multiply the number you get by one of the following factors based on your current level of activity:
1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

In your case if you consider yourself moderately active (treadmill 30-60 minutes, 3-5 days a week) then your maintenance level would be about 2180 calories a day. If you eat that many calories a day and do the exercise, your weight will not go up or down significantly. You will certainly lose body fat % over time while increasing your muscle mass though, and that's where the money is.

I don't advocate for strict calorie counting because then it becomes obsessive and gets in the way of you living your life. I prefer to estimate but it takes some practice to get comfortable knowing how many calories are in everything you eat. A good starting place is a website like fatsecret.com or livestrong.com where they have a database of the nutritional info on all of the common foods and many restaurant chains, or grocery store products. You can enter in what you ate and keep a tally that way, or just keep a journal. Again, after a while you'll get a feel for how many calories are in a handful of almonds, or a grilled chicken salad and you won't need the journal as much.

Do you have any health issues that would prohibit any kinds of activities? Knee problems, arthritis, previous sports injury, that type of thing? I ask because there are a number of really great programs that you can do in your home that can help you with the areas you said you'd like to improve. Palates and yoga come to mind right away. There are inexpensive DVDs at BJs for these workouts, or you can go with a more pricey option that is a more complete solution. I use Beachbody products and have seen awesome results. For most people it seems that changing their diet is the hardest part and since you've already done that, adopting one of these might be right up your alley.

If that's not something you want to do, start with the cardio workout I mentioned before and set a goal to run a 5K this spring. I did it last year and not only did I finish (started from being sedentary) but I got a better time than I anticipated. If that workout leaves you wanting more, put on the ankle weights for your jogging. I'm sure you can either find a cheap DVDs at BJs, or some videos on youtube to show you what exercises to do for your upper body and abs.

Thank you for your post! I just did my BMI and it is 23.6 - not too bad.

I do not have any health issues that would prevent me from doing any type of workout or exercise program - I just really hate running (I like walking, though).

Thank you, again, for your post - it's a lot to digest, I am going to take this one step and one day at a time, like I have with the weight loss.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Yoga.:yay: You'd be surprised just how much of a total body workout you get from an intense yoga session.

Try doing some of your strength training sitting on your exercise ball. The important thing to work on while doing this is keeping a good posture. Sitting erect and balancing while doing your arm work also reinforces your core. Give pilates a shot also.

Don't sweat your BMI, the BMI is a POS. You'd be surprised how many elite athletes would be considered overweight by BMI standards.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Yoga.:yay: You'd be surprised just how much of a total body workout you get from an intense yoga session.

Try doing some of your strength training sitting on your exercise ball. The important thing to work on while doing this is keeping a good posture. Sitting erect and balancing while doing your arm work also reinforces your core. Give pilates a shot also.

Don't sweat your BMI, the BMI is a POS. You'd be surprised how many elite athletes would be considered overweight by BMI standards.

I didn't realize how tough Yoga could be until I did the P90X Yoga. I love the program and thought Yoga would be boring, but it wasn't.

libby

Thanks a bunch!

Big congrats! Well done! I'm a 42y/o woman with 8 children. After the birth of my 7th I was a physical disaster and decided I had to get into a routine in case we had another baby (obviously, we did).
Anyway, there is a gal who has a bunch of DVD's, her name is Kathy Smith. I rotate her kickboxing routine, her great buns and thighs, and her 20 minute cardio blast with running on my treadmill. I can tell you that within two weeks of using her stuff I felt a big difference! My 8th was born in May of '10 and I'm in better shape than I've ever been, and I'm not bored!

Hope you find what you need!