Welcome To Hell

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
The world is cast as a place of blood and conflict, in which just about every form of sex is an instrument of the devil, pleasure is bound up in sin and pain is the depressingly ubiquitous norm.

More than anything else, this is why I don't agree with fundamentalist Christianity. It implies that humans are worthless and God's biggest mistake, that we would all be better off dead.

I've always been horrified by the romantic images of Noah's Ark, especially those intended for children. Wouldn't a realistic depiction of the Deluge include millions of bloated corpses in the water?

For me, this stuff portrays a God who is arbitrary and capricious and impossible to please. Like we're all doomed to Hell no matter what we do, like nothing we do is good enough for Him.

SamSpade

What's peculiar is how it is labelled "right-wing".

It's a church. There is no political agenda. It may be fundamentalist, but it is NOT political.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Tonio said:
Like we're all doomed to Hell no matter what we do, like nothing we do is good enough for Him.
all you have to do to get to heaven is pay your 10% to the church that is what pleases god the most. He really needs the money to keep performing those miracles. :angel:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
SamSpade said:

It's a church. There is no political agenda. It may be fundamentalist, but it is NOT political.
I don't know much about the group that staged this, but you have an excellent point. I didn't see it as political either.

SamSpade

Tonio said:
More than anything else, this is why I don't agree with fundamentalist Christianity. It implies that humans are worthless and God's biggest mistake, that we would all be better off dead.

I've always been horrified by the romantic images of Noah's Ark, especially those intended for children. Wouldn't a realistic depiction of the Deluge include millions of bloated corpses in the water?

For me, this stuff portrays a God who is arbitrary and capricious and impossible to please. Like we're all doomed to Hell no matter what we do, like nothing we do is good enough for Him.
Not at all. I've been in fundamentalist churches in the past. And yes, accurate descriptions of Noah's ark WOULD include death and decay. I wasn't privy to the sanitized version you described.

I left those churches for OTHER reasons - for one, they tend to insinuate into every part of your life.

But they believe that God put Man at the top of his creation; that he is the very best of His work, and the ONLY thing he imbued with a soul, the only thing he was willing to sacrifice everything for.

That we don't have any good in us is not indicative of God's capricious nature - rather, it exposes his capacity for mercy, and love. It's easy to love something intrinsically wonderful - God loves us in *spite* of that. It's clear in the Psalms that our "good" on the best days are filth, to God. We don't gain access to him by doing or being good, but by his grace.

Anyway, this is better meant to be further discussed in a religious forum. I just think it's weird, that, as I mentioned above, it's described as a "right-wing" church. I can only call a church "right-wing" if it has a marginal political agenda. These guys appear to have none.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
SamSpade said:

NAIVE THOUGHT. Church and state might be seperate but politics and religion go hand and hand they are probally largest fundraiser groups in the world. :spank:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dougstermd said:
politics and religion go hand and hand
Okay, before I call the men in white coats to come snag you in their butterfly net, what in the world makes you think that?

Steve

Enjoying life!
Dougstermd said:
all you have to do to get to heaven is pay your 10% to the church that is what pleases god the most. He really needs the money to keep performing those miracles. :angel:
You've reminded me of another story from my welfare childhood. We attended Catholic Mass regularly, did CCD, all that jazz. One day the priest shows up at the door to pay a social visit. What he really wanted was to tell my mother that she was falling behind in her collection contributions. Here we were, barely enough money to get by, living in the ghetto, wearing hand-me-down clothes, no car, no TV, and a 700 sq-ft apartment, two kids and a "stay-at-home" Mom who couldn't work because she had two young kids to raise, and this joker was looking for more money than the $.50 or $1 my mother was able to kick in every week.

She kicked his ass out the door. :yay: There's your religious establishment for you.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
vraiblonde said:
Okay, before I call the men in white coats to come snag you in their butterfly net, what in the world makes you think that?
I cant see the last word it is off my screen and I can not get it to adjust? :confused:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Steve said:
You've reminded me of another story from my welfare childhood. We attended Catholic Mass regularly, did CCD, all that jazz. One day the priest shows up at the door to pay a social visit. What he really wanted was to tell my mother that she was falling behind in her collection contributions. Here we were, barely enough money to get by, living in the ghetto, wearing hand-me-down clothes, no car, no TV, and a 700 sq-ft apartment, two kids and a "stay-at-home" Mom who couldn't work because she had two young kids to raise, and this joker was looking for more money than the $.50 or $1 my mother was able to kick in every week.

She kicked his ass out the door. :yay: There's your religious establishment for you.

I agree and also agree that politics and religion are very closely tied. Many powerful political people profess their values and views of our society from what they learned or were taught in church.