Well now, this is an interesting development.

phreddyp

You realize he's yanking your chain just for the fun of it right?

At least when he's messing with you, he's leaving me alone.
Not during the original conversation I didn't. I didn't think Gilligan would do that in a serious conversation, but live and learn. The biggest problem with lying is you lose your credibility immediately upon being found out never to return.

Kinnakeet

If everyone does that it will ensure that the banks collapse.

That's the thing about these hysterical news stories - the implosion of SVB doesn't have anything to do with 99.999% of Americans.....unless they force it to. SVB was a big tech lender and they were more concerned about social issues and lining their own pockets than risk management. That's why they tanked.

But here's my question:

Can you get a statement or whatever from your bank that discloses what they're heavily invested in? For instance, if my bank is a big construction lender in a shaky market, I'd want to know that.

I'm pretty sure my bank is secure, but I'd like to be sure sure.
Navy Federal Credit Union

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I am pretty sure that LightRoasted will be here rebutting this with 7% tax savings in fiat money is no savings at all.

Well now .... places coffee cup on desk. Within the matrix that is today's fiat currency monetary system, I find it quite ironic, in that the US Government encourages people to "invest" in America and buy treasuries, promoting them as not being taxable by state or local governments, but is taxable for federal income tax purposes. So if someone is in the 22% tax bracket that 7%, which is high btw, is reduced to 5.46%. In the 35% tax bracket, that number drops to 4.55%. Guaranteeing that no one will ever see a rate of return higher than actual inflation. So, for "investing" in America, one is still punished for doing so. The "game" is rigged to keep the average person down.

phreddyp

Well now .... places coffee cup on desk. Within the matrix that is today's fiat currency monetary system, I find it quite ironic, in that the US Government encourages people to "invest" in America and buy treasuries, promoting them as not being taxable by state or local governments, but is taxable for federal income tax purposes. So if someone is in the 22% tax bracket that 7%, which is high btw, is reduced to 5.46%. In the 35% tax bracket, that number drops to 4.55%. Guaranteeing that no one will ever see a rate of return higher than actual inflation. So, for "investing" in America, one is still punished for doing so. The "game" is rigged to keep the average person down.
Maryland tax rate for $100,000.00 in income after Federal Deductions is $90.00 plus 4.75% over $3000.00 Local tax in Calvert is 3% as per Marylandtaxes.gov.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Maryland tax rate for $100,000.00 in income after Federal Deductions is $90.00 plus 4.75% over $3000.00 Local tax in Calvert is 3% as per Marylandtaxes.gov.

I was quoting federal income tax brackets. Since, ya know, interest on treasuries is federally taxed, but not state of local? Do try to keep up.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I do not envy that, the other stuff I listed was more than enough for me, sometimes I wonder how I did it. LOTS and LOTS of hours, but it did pay off.
And I didn't even mention ITAR....a truly major bureaucratic thorn in our side for any job involving a foreign military delivery or foreign supplier delivery through us to US military project.

phreddyp

I was quoting federal income tax brackets. Since, ya know, interest on treasuries is federally taxed, but not state of local? Do try to keep up
I was quoting the savings in state and local taxes only. That is where the savings are in buying treasuries.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Irrelevant. You are going to pay that on income whether it is from treasuries or CDs or corporate bonds.

Oh FFS. Re-read the post and do try to comprehend what I was saying. Specifically where I said, "I find it quite ironic, in that the US Government encourages people to "invest" in America and buy treasuries, promoting them as not being taxable by state or local governments, but is taxable for federal income tax purposes." And do try to stay on point.

phreddyp

Oh FFS. Re-read the post and do try to comprehend what I was saying. Specifically where I said, "I find it quite ironic, in that the US Government encourages people to "invest" in America and buy treasuries, promoting them as not being taxable by state or local governments, but is taxable for federal income tax purposes." And do try to stay on point.
I unnderstand exactly what you are saying! Just because you say it twice does not make it relevant to the conversation. Your paranoia is astonishing to say the least. Enjoy your evening.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Every time they decide to wreck the economy and clean out the stock market, these bastards make a fortune. The owner’s of the fed and their investment bank co-conspirators, manipulate the price on everything, precious metals, stocks and bonds, real estate, as well as commoditize food, medicine, education, literally anything we need in order to live.

They purposely blow these asset bubbles, (there are no natural business cycles. There are only controlled business cycles), just so they can purposefully pop them when they mature. These master’s of the universe then claim total ignorance of the situation, even though it is their only job to ensure this does not happen. The big boys all get out at the top of the market while the 401k crowd gets left holding the bag. The assets of the failed businesses, get scooped up for pennies on the dollar.

Why is it so hard to understand that a private bank, that profits off the debt they create for us, has no intention of paying off or even decreasing the deficit. They have forced the entire country into debt slavery, to benefit these bankster oligarchs.

No matter the outcome of this impending recession/depression, they will have enriched themselves at our expense once again.

HemiHauler

Interesting developments this week. Federal bank regulators permitted a change wherein banks can borrow against the full value of US Treasury instruments they hold. Previously, they could only borrow again the mark-to-market value, which varies and is of course considerably less than the full value.

Here’s the chart showing the data. I’d suggest to you this is a sign of interest rate easing soonish. Otherwise, banks won’t be lending this money out.

This depicts about a half trillion worth of lending.

5AB2D335-7468-40BB-B2D7-BEC2F8205A93.png

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration...

Interesting developments this week. Federal bank regulators permitted a change wherein banks can borrow against the full value of US Treasury instruments they hold. Previously, they could only borrow again the mark-to-market value, which varies and is of course considerably less than the full value.

Here’s the chart showing the data. I’d suggest to you this is a sign of interest rate easing soonish. Otherwise, banks won’t be lending this money out.

This depicts about a half trillion worth of lending.

View attachment 169603

My spidey senses are saying no to easing of the interest rates. Their aim is to kill the economy, and that of the world's, until those in charge start to fully support the war in Ukraine.

HemiHauler

For your consideration...

My spidey senses are saying no to easing of the interest rates. Their aim is to kill the economy, and that of the world's, until those in charge start to fully support the war in Ukraine.

Maybe. Like you, I certainly recognize that "war is a racket" and "all wars are bankers wars" (with credit to whom those quotes are attributed), but not sure if applicable to this current Ukraine situation, since we're dealing with a nuclear power with a leader in cognitive and mental decline who is clearly crazed.