Well Roger ...

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
devinej said:
so I want my horse's hooves to grow faster (maybe not quite as fast as roger's) so what diet is he on?

He cant have hay so he gets 10 lbs of dry weight beet pulp a day (divided into 3 meals a day) (then water added) and TDI 10 suppliment..1 C soy bean meal..NO grain etc..

covekat

Pasofever said:
IM as directed from the vet now he is all blowed up..doing well now got his feet done today and has easy boots on....and started on a new foot med...Banamine PO ...bute and 30 sulfa tabs a day..

Paso, I was going to mention that sometimes a horse will have a BAD reaction to an IM Banamine shot... I dont know if you can post links here, havent tried that yet... but they get a bacterial infection and it is really nasty. I always give Banamine paste or IV... wondering who your vet is...

covekat

here is a copy of an article about it:

Clostridial myositis

Serious bacterial infections following IM injections are caused by Clostridial species. In the survey of 500 equine practitioners, 28 (5.6%) had encountered a case of clostridial infection at an IM injection site. These occur in association with non-antibiotic injections only. There is no relationship to the infection and the technique used to prepare the skin and fill the syringe.

Signs develop over 2-5 days post injection and progress rapidly within 5-10 days. Swelling and heat at the injection site are followed by widespread crepitation from gas formation, and skin will become cold and necrotic. Early, aggressive surgical debridement and antibiotic therapy are essential for any hope of survival. Unfortunately, prognosis is very poor once signs develop.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Well she said banamine and bute hell I have always given IM banamine for colic...so I said..I have banamine how much she said 5cc 2 X day IM..so I do...did neck neck butt butt well then neck swelled..shiat...then hip got big..crap..called and said yeah I like paste the IM can really react to the banamine..Hello tell me this I would use paste I am not that cheap...yes swollen and hot..that (what you posted) scares the shiat out of me this is a 15K pleasure horse..but she saw him yesterday and said..awww necks not that bad...dont worry about it..butt still firm and hard..Started yesterday on 30 sulfas a day and bute and banamine PASTE....

Hey if you are close you wanna come see him??

covekat

Passo, if I'm giving Banamine IV I usually give 10cc for a normal size horse... 10cc per 100 pounds... Just one shot a day, LOL... sounds like your vet wants to make a pin cushion out of your boy.

I'm in Southern Charles County, waaaayyyy south!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
covekat said:
Passo, if I'm giving Banamine IV I usually give 10cc for a normal size horse... 10cc per 100 pounds... Just one shot a day, LOL... sounds like your vet wants to make a pin cushion out of your boy.

I'm in Southern Charles County, waaaayyyy south!

I always give 10cc Im if I give banamine too

Do we know each other??

Looking at my reciept...Plan..(May 7).1 bute 2 X a day for 7 days...1 bute a day for 7 more days...banamine 5cc IM 2 X day..Ice feet 3-4 X day 7 days wrap all 4 legs in quilts polos call me Friday...

new plan (May 31) 1 bute in am...if needed use 2...500# banain in the pm...if worse use banamine 2 X day...Mycaceptic small amounts use cotton to push into crevices one x day. Soak epsom salts daily to clean befor appying mycaceptic. Use easy boots and bell boots bib or crade as needed...

Call if he gets worse or you think Mycaceptic is burning...

15 SMZ 2 D day..

Leave message at office if you need me next week

covekat

Passo, I'm not sure what is wrong with your horse... I'm going to take a shot...

Thrush... abcess... some sort of bad infection. I was thinking either white line disease or founder based on the meds... not sure what the wraps are for... giving Bute and Banamine together seems a little extreme, Banamine is the stronger of the two... not sure why you would need Bute... I'm still wondering who your vet is, not trying to be nosy to bash, just curious!