Went crabbing today.

GreenHornet

The weather was nice so I figured what the heck. I just got home from about 6 hours at my lucky spot and i'm proud to report that I caught......

Zero crabs!:mad:

Anyone else not have any luck on the first day of crab season?

CraneTaker77

water ain't warm enough. there start biting real nice hopefully end of may. they're still down in the mud right now.

D

dems4me

water ain't warm enough. there start biting real nice hopefully end of may. they're still down in the mud right now.

:yeahthat: Water is still too cold. However I did have a dream of going crabbing last night - In my dream I only caught two and only one was a keeper :lol: I heard something on the radio that morning about their winter dredge or something showed up as still being low on crab population. :ohwell:

:yeahthat: Water is still too cold. However I did have a dream of going crabbing last night - In my dream I only caught two and only one was a keeper :lol: I heard something on the radio that morning about their winter dredge or something showed up as still being low on crab population. :ohwell:

It is suppose to be another suckie year... :ohwell:

I also heard rumors of DNR putting a limit on Females and possibly count restrictions on both recreational and commercial crabbers...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It is suppose to be another suckie year... :ohwell:

I also heard rumors of DNR putting a limit on Females and possibly count restrictions on both recreational and commercial crabbers...

talking to my BIL: The dredge tests have revealed few crabs, and they are predicting a season worse than last year.

VA has said they will abide by the same crab restrictions/ rules MD decides on, and are stating they will no longer allow winter dredging for crabs. (don't know if it's actually been implemented yet)

The restrictions will probably be pretty tough this year.

D

dems4me

talking to my BIL: The dredge tests have revealed few crabs, and they are predicting a season worse than last year.

VA has said they will abide by the same crab restrictions/ rules MD decides on, and are stating they will no longer allow winter dredging for crabs. (don't know if it's actually been implemented yet)

The restrictions will probably be pretty tough this year.

For the count click on the link under Calculating the Number of Crabs
Maryland's Blue Crab Winter Dredge Survey

CraneTaker77

this is exactly why the need to impose stricter regulations for commercial crabbers. they need to finally make a law that you are not allowed to keep female crabs. they say that female crabs only reproduce once,but that is wrong. there are hundred of studies proving that female crabs can reproduce more than once. I don't even know why someone would even want to eat a female crab, they taste dramatically different from a male crab. I love crabs just as much as the next person, but we definately need some tighter restrictions on it. and maybe even LIFTING some of the rock fish regulations would help too because god knows how many baby crabs are eating by a big ol' rockfish. heck you cut one of them things open and they are filled with baby crabs.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I just think it is great that you all went out and gave it a try.
True Sportsmen at heart :buddies:

T

toppick08

My hotspot in Breton Bay, will produce as normal..........:coffee:

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
this is exactly why the need to impose stricter regulations for commercial crabbers. they need to finally make a law that you are not allowed to keep female crabs. they say that female crabs only reproduce once,but that is wrong. there are hundred of studies proving that female crabs can reproduce more than once. I don't even know why someone would even want to eat a female crab, they taste dramatically different from a male crab. I love crabs just as much as the next person, but we definately need some tighter restrictions on it. and maybe even LIFTING some of the rock fish regulations would help too because god knows how many baby crabs are eating by a big ol' rockfish. heck you cut one of them things open and they are filled with baby crabs.

:yeahthat:This should have been a law. Keep the sooks breedin'.:lmao:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I just think it is great that you all went out and gave it a try.
True Sportsmen at heart :buddies:

or bored completely out of their minds...

Crabs can wait, there's rock out there that need to be, and want to be stretching some line.