Went crabbing today.

Ladybug76

The weather was nice so I figured what the heck. I just got home from about 6 hours at my lucky spot and i'm proud to report that I caught......

Zero crabs!:mad:

Anyone else not have any luck on the first day of crab season?

We went this afternoon....nothing. I got bored pretty quickly and wanted to go fishing. My 7 year old promptly told me that I did not "understand the spirit of crabbing". He was happy to sit there and wait!

signora

We went this afternoon....nothing. I got bored pretty quickly and wanted to go fishing. My 7 year old promptly told me that I did not "understand the spirit of crabbing". He was happy to sit there and wait!

Still seems kind of early to be crabbing. That's good that your son is patient enough to sit there because crabbing can be boring especially when your not catching anything.

Ladybug76

Still seems kind of early to be crabbing. That's good that your son is patient enough to sit there because crabbing can be boring especially when your not catching anything.

Thank you! He is a very patient kid...he certainly didn't get that trait from me. From what I have been hearing, it is too early, but they were so eager to get out there. It didn't help that we caught a bunch of fish the week before, so their expectations were really high. We'll keep trying though.:howdy:

signora

Thank you! He is a very patient kid...he certainly didn't get that trait from me. From what I have been hearing, it is too early, but they were so eager to get out there. It didn't help that we caught a bunch of fish the week before, so their expectations were really high. We'll keep trying though.:howdy:

:lmao: That's good because there are kids who are not patient. When I was younger we use to go crabbing a lot, which I like, but found it boring waiting for crabs to bite so was always pulling up the cages. Then as I got older, I learned to bring a book and soaked up the rays for a tan.

I always thought crabbing season was June - October and w/the crazy weather we keep having just seems a little to cold for it. Good luck -eventually you will be catching them.

BlackSheep

Crab restrictions looming

State officials who regulate the crab harvest are seeking public comment on changes to the harvest aimed at rebuilding the population.

They’re considering a suite of options that could result in a 20% to 40% cut in the harvest of female crabs.

For commercial crabbers, the options include size limits, bushel limits and partial harvest closures. Recreational crabbers might be banned from catching females, except for soft crabs.

Commercial crabbers blast the state's proposed restrictions - Top Stories - (HometownAnnapolis.com)

Details of the possible harvest changes are posted online at Maryland DNR's Fisheries Service Home Page

CraneTaker77

State officials who regulate the crab harvest are seeking public comment on changes to the harvest aimed at rebuilding the population.

They’re considering a suite of options that could result in a 20% to 40% cut in the harvest of female crabs.

For commercial crabbers, the options include size limits, bushel limits and partial harvest closures. Recreational crabbers might be banned from catching females, except for soft crabs.

Commercial crabbers blast the state's proposed restrictions - Top Stories - (HometownAnnapolis.com)

Details of the possible harvest changes are posted online at Maryland DNR's Fisheries Service Home Page

They need to make it a regulation for both commercial and recreational crabbers that you you are not allowed to keep female crabs. They had a CCA crab meeting the other night with The Mayland Watermens Association there too and the Commercial crabbers where whinning about how stricter restrictions are affecting there income. Big whoop it's called get another job people. If you ever want the river to get back to normal you gotta stop over harvesting!

Last edited:
H

HouseCat

I don't know, Cranetaker....I love me some She-crab soup with curry! :drool:

Dnag! I really have a craving for crab/seafood today with everybody talking about crabbin! :yum: