West Nile Virus

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
Since the news seems only concerned with Baltimore and D.C., I feel it necessary to let our little chunk of society know that week before last, my wife was in the hospital for West Nile virus from a mosquito bite. The only reports on the news for 2019 were the very first case supposedly being in D.C., but according to the medical reports we got back, my wifes was on the same day. She went septic almost immediately with severe kidney pain and had to have 5 CT scans, a spinal tap, 9 I.V.s delivering a huge barrage of various anti-biotics to combat the symptoms until the bloodwork was due to come back. By the end of the 4th day, her numbers went back to normal and she was released on Saturday the 14h. Her bloodwork came back positive for West Nile virus after we had already left.

We live in CRE in the older area where the yards aren't drained and never were which causes pooling, our yard in particular gets 5 inches deep of water extending from our driveway all the way across the yard to the neighbors driveway even during a average rain.

CDC reports 3 Neuroinvasive events in the D.C. since they are considering it a separate state in their chart and two non-neuroinvasive in "Maryland" which is obviously very vague. The neuroinvasive type is one you don't want to get, not that either are anything to snicker at. The neuroinvasive type causes meningitis, brain damage and can have life altering effects.

Heres why I chose to write this- the reports are slow, favors the larger attention getting audience and doesn't seem to care about ALL of Maryland. Trust me folks, the disease is here. My wife had to use a walker for a week just to get her strength back and thankfully, she doesn't show any lingering issues thus far except youre considered a carrier when you get it and they tell you not to go outside (because now if a mosquito bites you, it carries it to someone else).

Weve addressed the pooling and getting it treated for now, our area has been getting sprayed by the county more often and our yard has been sprayed. The county collected mosquito samples from our yard but never heard any results.

Please spray yourselves especially if you have a weak immune system, also get rid of anything that catches and hold water.

Thanks for reading. Im grateful to still have my wife.

Wow. Thanx for the share.

Many years ago I was out working in the yard and got bit a number of times. Next day I started feeling bad. I mean, really bad. Couldn't make my way to the bathroom without crying out. At that time, West Nile and EEE weren't known well, so the docs just sent me home. 2 weeks out sick.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Went up to Vermont last weekend, signs along the highway warning about EEE.
There was a death from it recently in Massachusetts.