Western Wall rabbi says pope should not wear cross

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Western Wall rabbi says pope should not wear cross at site | Israel | Jerusalem Post

"Ahead of Pope Benedict XVI's May visit to Israel, the rabbi of the Western Wall, Shmuel Rabinovitch, has said that it is not proper to come to the site wearing a cross.

The pope wears a cross in all public appearances and is slated to visit the Western Wall on May 12 after a meeting with Muslim religious leaders at the Dome of the Rock.

After the visit, which will include a meeting with Rabinovitch, the pope is slated to meet with Israel's two chief rabbis, Yona Metzger and Shlomo Amar.

"My position is that it is not fitting to enter the Western Wall area with religious symbols, including a cross," said Rabinovitch in a telephone interview with The Jerusalem Post Monday. "I feel the same way about a Jew putting on a tallit and phylacteries and going into a church." "

Rabinovitch is responsible for religious decorum at the site.

"In coming days I intend to discuss the issue with the pope's people," Wadie Abunassar, media coordinator for the pope's visit to the Holy Land, said in response to reports that the pontiff would not remove his cross. "I cannot imagine the Holy Father removing his cross."

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Western Wall rabbi says pope should not wear cross at site | Israel | Jerusalem Post

"Ahead of Pope Benedict XVI's May visit to Israel, the rabbi of the Western Wall, Shmuel Rabinovitch, has said that it is not proper to come to the site wearing a cross.

The pope wears a cross in all public appearances and is slated to visit the Western Wall on May 12 after a meeting with Muslim religious leaders at the Dome of the Rock.

After the visit, which will include a meeting with Rabinovitch, the pope is slated to meet with Israel's two chief rabbis, Yona Metzger and Shlomo Amar.

"My position is that it is not fitting to enter the Western Wall area with religious symbols, including a cross," said Rabinovitch in a telephone interview with The Jerusalem Post Monday. "I feel the same way about a Jew putting on a tallit and phylacteries and going into a church." "

Rabinovitch is responsible for religious decorum at the site.

"In coming days I intend to discuss the issue with the pope's people," Wadie Abunassar, media coordinator for the pope's visit to the Holy Land, said in response to reports that the pontiff would not remove his cross. "I cannot imagine the Holy Father removing his cross."

makes sense to me, what's the issue..

Pope should respect their wishes.

Besides, I thought idol worship was a sin..

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
makes sense to me, what's the issue..

Pope should respect their wishes.

Besides, I thought idol worship was a sin..
I agree the pope should respect their wishes.
See how people are? You see?
It's not right for a muslim woman to enter a Navy federal credit union with her head scarf on either! Shouldn't she honor our wishes?
And Bob, a cross is not an idol it's a symbol and a reminder.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

"My position is that it is not fitting to enter the Western Wall area with religious symbols, including a cross," said Rabinovitch in a telephone interview with The Jerusalem Post Monday.

:guiltyconscience?:

Zguy28

Ridiculous. I wouldn't have any problem with a Jew coming into my church with phylactories or whatever on. Same for a Muslim with a crescent or anything else.

Toxick

Splat

I see how people are all the time.

I never cease to be amazed nor horrified.

It's not right for a muslim woman to enter a Navy federal credit union with her head scarf on either! Shouldn't she honor our wishes?

A Navy Federal Credit Union is not a holy place. It is a public place available to all regardless of race, creed or age. (And I have a hard time swallowing that a simple headscarf is a detriment to security, as would a bourqa or a skimask, for instance.)

The Wailing Wall is, however, a holy place. Specifically sacred to Jews.

I don't have a problem with a muslim wearing their reglious garb in a bank. I might think otherwise if they entered a Catholic Church, or were visiting the Wailing Wall.

It's simple respect and courtesy.

Hear, hear.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I understand the reasoning and I'm glad he at least feels the same way about Jews doing that at other religious locations. At the same time, I don't see any reason why the pope should take it off. I really don't think anyone will care much. They didn't check us for religious objects when we went there.

:guiltyconscience?:
uhh no. Do you seriously think any Jew even thinks about that, let alone cares? Honestly. Get over it.

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD

I couldn't have said it better myself.