What’s the problem with Airport Road?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Hollywood, MD - As many people have surely noticed, the Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA) has been quite active surrounding Airport Road in Hollywood. Many complaints have been directed towards the inability to make a turn onto the road from the southbound direction of Route 235.

Recently, the Wildewood Planned Unit Development was granted permission to make some critical changes along the road to support road congestion. Although work has recently resumed, the contractor has seen some major delays such as the necessity of stopping work in order to acquire the barrier wall prohibiting turns.
Nonetheless, people have been observed as avoiding the “detour route” and making illegal turns onto the road. Additionally, drivers have been shorting the detour by cutting through what used to be the ‘Cheeseburger in Paradise’ parking lot.

Upon completion of the project, residents can expect to see a third through lane extending up the southbound side of Route 235. Additionally, drivers can expect to see a second turn lane on the northbound side of Route 235 at the intersection with Airport Road.

However, the biggest change that is coming to Airport Road in the months ahead is a road realignment. Gary Whipple, P.E. from engineering services at the St. Mary's County Board of Public Works and Transportation told the TheBayNet.com that they are currently preparing to accept bids for the realignment that would allow extension to the taxiway at the airport. The FAA has already given grant money to support this airport expansion. Now, the nearby roads must be realigned to meet distance standards for the airport. This road work will extend from the entrance of Cottonwood Parkway to the entrance of the airport and is anticipated to begin in January.

All work around this area could be considered critical given the technical manufacturing expansions being made around the airport. With technical manufacturing companies being slated as one of the largest suppliers of jobs in the county, infrastructure improvements are being fought for to continue the diversification of the economy away from Department of Defense reliance.

Shanteé Felix from the SHA Office of Communications says that all road-work on the southbound side of Route 235 is on track and is expected to be completed "before winter weather begins". Work on the northbound side is set to begin in the spring of 2019.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1118/whats-the-problem-with-airport-road.html

I have seen several people make the now illegal right hand turn onto Airport Road from southbound 235 and so far it has been a miracle they haven't caused an accident. And I sincerely doubt the southbound side of 235 work will be completed "before winter weather begins." :coffee:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There'd still be 8-10 traffic lights in the entire county.

I remember when three cars going through Leonardtown on 5 at the same time (before the bypass) was a typical traffic jam...might be backed up to Western Auto on occasion...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Think how quiet and sleepy St Mary's would be if pax was BRAC'ed in the early ninety's.

There would be no Southern Maryland Online, which means there would be no Dee Jay being in Bastrop, TX on this fine morning. My life would be completely changed.

A number of couples have met on here, and are living happily ever after right now, so their lives would be totally different as well.

I muse often about chance and fate and how one small decision can affect so many lives.

Regarding Airport Rd, it's not the road that has a problem. In computer lingo it's called an SFU - stupid ####ing user.

black dog

Free America
There would be no Southern Maryland Online, which means there would be no Dee Jay being in Bastrop, TX on this fine morning. My life would be completely changed.

A number of couples have met on here, and are living happily ever after right now, so their lives would be totally different as well.

I muse often about chance and fate and how one small decision can affect so many lives.

Regarding Airport Rd, it's not the road that has a problem. In computer lingo it's called an SFU - stupid ####ing user.

It could have been Northern Cornhuskers Online, the sad part is uploading pictures would be a bitch on 56K dialup... Kinna like it still is on St George's Island...

I'm guessing you'd be in Toledo now... http://www.bambinospizzamonroe.com/

Hannibal

Work is expected to be done by winter? Odd. SHA typically starts putting big restrictions on work starting 11/15 and typically runs them through mid-March. I think steel plate restrictions kick in starting 11/15 which makes travel over work tough unless EVERYTHING is behind barrier. You're restricted on temporary asphalt, etc. You can drop asphalt into December if the temps hold but most of the asphalt plants will start shutting down for maintenance in December most year unless something BIG is keeping them open. Can't imagine the area is supporting big pave operations this time of year though. If there is concrete going down under the asphalt, there are even more timing/weather/temp/travel considerations.

And did I read it correctly that the job was shutdown/delayed due to barrier? Either the MOT scheme provided by the designer (and approved by SHA) didn't call and should've for it or they added it given the response of the drivers. Either way, there is barrier ALL OVER THE PLACE that can be bought/rented, etc. Hell, I could've gotten them 1000 LF by the next morning.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I cannot imagine that technical manufacturing companies are going to set up shop here and stay if NAS Pax River goes.