What A Shame!

jazz lady said:
Tries to find some sucker...er, other horseman who thinks they still CAN race. :lol: Seriously, a couple she has turned into brood mares. Some have been sold to the Amish while others have been turned into pleasure horses. She often threatens to turn them into glue if they don't perform, but she could never do that.
I guess I always envisioned horsey people had a beautiful green pasture set aside for the old and disabled to live out the rest of their lives. :ohwell:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
I guess I always envisioned horsey people had a beautiful green pasture set aside for the old and disabled to live out the rest of their lives. :ohwell:

Unfortunately, horse racing in all of its forms is a business first and foremost. Only the best get that sort of retirement treatment and live out the rest of their lives in luxury as a stud or brood mare. The vast majority of the horses are the day-to-day racers whose next meal often depends on their last performance. It's the seedy underbelly no one wants to talk about and, like appy said, many of them head to the slaughterhouse or glue factory. The same thing happens to greyhounds; thus, we have greyhound rescue leagues to help place them in loving homes rather than have them killed.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Knock, knock...

gumby said:
Did you hear the interviews after the race? What idiotic questions. The first thing she asked the winning jockey was about Barbiaro(sp?). Then a reporter asked a DVM if it was a life threatening injury. :deadhorse I'm no horse expert, but I really don't think they are going to put that horse down. Specially what he's worth as a stud. :banana:

How much would you be willing to pay for the genes of a broken horse?

Agee

CMC122 said:
He was beautiful and so full of energy!

So full of energy he busted out of the starting gate early. Was there at the track, and thought him breaking early was a bad sign. The horse was barely a 1/4 of the way up the front stretch, when you could see the jockey trying to hold him up, not an easy task with a horse at full bore.

Most certainly the jockeys efforts and the staff at the track helped to save the horses life! Here's to a speedy recovery.

I did win $70.00 on the winner Bernardini...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
You have GOT to be kidding me, Larry...

Larry Gude said:
How much would you be willing to pay for the genes of a broken horse?

Any horse that has won a Triple Crown race is worth its weight in gold. It doesn't matter that he shattered his leg and can no longer race. His value as a stud is immeasurable. Smarty Jones, last year's Kentucky Derby winner and who only raced in the other two Triple Crown races before retiring, is pulling in a cool $100k for his services already according to the Thoroughbred Times.

The name of the game is speed and Barbaro showed he had it in spades. One misstep and his career was over, but if you think others aren't going to try to capture his talent in the next generation, you are sadly mistaken, especially when millions of dollars in prize money is at stake.

A.P. Indy, who is the father of Preakness winner Bernardini and son of Seattle Slew and grandson of Secretariat, gets $300k for his stud services. It's big, big, BIG business and there is no way that Barbaro is going to be forgotten - not by a long shot.

fredsaid2

Reports say it's unlikely he will have a career at stud. As Appy pointed out, it must be live cover and they speculate his leg couldn't handle the strain. Can only hope he heals and becomes the most fabulous pasture potato for the owners. :smile:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
fredsaid2 said:
Reports say it's unlikely he will have a career at stud. As Appy pointed out, it must be live cover and they speculate his leg couldn't handle the strain. Can only hope he heals and becomes the most fabulous pasture potato for the owners. :smile:
As long as he lives they will find way for him to stud.. you figure 1 million a pop (literally) they'll find a way.. make him a horsey sex swing if they have to I'm sure.

fredsaid2

Anything's possible but if he heals completely there will surely be a lot of scrutiny concerning his ability to breed by the rules.

Maybe some stud fees are 1 million but of the last six Derby winners the highest was 125,000 followed by 66,000 then dropping to 15,000.

fredsaid2

I don't really know, but since it was interesting I checked the JC rulebook. Says they send a Genetic Typing Kit following receipt of a Live Foal Report. It has to be returned to the lab in 45 days and all the registration paperwork. If the foal qualifies as offspring of the reported dam/sire the JC issues a Certificate of Foal Registration. Pretty interesting databases they're compiling! :smile: