What ammo do local LEOs use?

dustin

UAIOE
Does anyone know what brand/type of handgun ammunition the local police (or state police if known) have issued to them for their primary handgun? I'm wondering specifics... not just "9mm".

Something like "Speer Gold Dot 147gr hollowpoint 9mm"...

:cheers:

refugee44

Seriously, don't you think that's a operations security issue that maybe shouldn't be discussed in a public forum?? I can't imagine anyone would tell you!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Does anyone know what brand/type of handgun ammunition the local police (or state police if known) have issued to them for their primary handgun? I'm wondering specifics... not just "9mm".

Something like "Speer Gold Dot 147gr hollowpoint 9mm"...

:cheers:

Seems most PD's carry "...duty ammo which is Wichester Ranger SXT. A 147 grain hollow point"

FBI uses the same weight Winchester "bonded" hollow point.

Surprised at the use of the hollow point, expected ball type ammo..

Last edited:

Papi4baby

40 S&W Federal Hydra Shok JHP not sure what grain. They range from 135 to 180. I hear most LE carry 165.

From what i have seen. I only seen a couple of departments. Not sure if they are all the same.

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Seriously, don't you think that's a operations security issue that maybe shouldn't be discussed in a public forum?? I can't imagine anyone would tell you!

:killingme

Since the same stuff they use is available to the public I don't know why, in fact the local PD's are using what most consider an inferior ammuntion today. As someone pointed out "Hydra Shok" is what they use for their handguns, Federal and their HST's and several other compaines make rounds now that don't use the inferior 20 yr old design of the "Hydra Shok".

My preference

1. Federal HST's
2. Speer Gold Dot
3. Winchester Ranger T's..... these are the old Black Talon(for the most part) :bigwhoop:

dustin

UAIOE
The reason I'm asking is for legal reasons... I read/hear that it's better to use the same rounds that local LEOs do in case I do wind up in a self defense shooting trial.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
The reason I'm asking is for legal reasons... I read/hear that it's better to use the same rounds that local LEOs do in case I do wind up in a self defense shooting trial.

I have read/heard that myself too so I figured as to why you were asking, to me it is a ridiculous notion but you never know how uneducated someone will be about guns/ammo that is judging you.

I think that in the Harold Fish case Harold Fish Defense they tried to make a big deal out of him carrying these really "lethal" rounds. :killingme And I think they tried to compared what he used to the local LEO's too. I mean what is the point of carrying a certain round if you don't think it will kill/stop your attacker? This is the same line of thinking that the police get when you hear "why couldn't they have just shot my baby in the leg?" Which is pure stupidty.

Bigpops92

We shoot USPSA and IDPA and have had this discussion many times with fellow shooters, some that are in the leagal world. Pretty safe to say that any store bought ammo is safe. Depending on the circumstances, and your lawyer, jury, etc...handloads are a no-no. Especially in such a gun loving state as Maryland! (sarcasm)

If that unfortunate day ever comes...ALWAYS remember YOUR LIFE WAS IN JEOPARDY.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
And you only shot to stop the threat, not wound or kill. Just to stop the threat.

Of course legally you shoot to stop the treat, the most effcient way though is to kill the threat early in the fight.

ETA- Ok, I see you were just adding on to BigPops post..... so you are correct.

Inkd

Yeah, I forgot to add BigPops post to my reply.

I remember in my CCW class the instructor said after listening to a bunch of "experts" in the class talk about the "stopping power" of this cartridge versus that cartridge and center mass versus head shots, in his opinion, the most efficient way to stop a threat is to cause a massive disruption to the central nervous system of the threat, usually accompanied by significant blood loss, thereby neutralizing the threat. If death happens to be a by product, so be it. I'm not sure but he may have been a lawyer, anyways, it always gives me a chuckle when I think about it.

Of course legally you shoot to stop the treat, the most effcient way though is to kill the threat early in the fight.

ETA- Ok, I see you were just adding on to BigPops post..... so you are correct.

TreeRat

Always a Good Target
MSP issues the 165 grain Hydra-Shok. It's Federal's medium velocity load and it is feable. Speer used to produce the same performance level load in their Gold Dot 165JHP but discontinued it a couple years back and went back to their full power 1150 fps load.

I'm not sure what STM County issues.

TR

dustin

UAIOE
armchair...

So for you armchair lawyers and firearm aficionados out there, would you say my preferred choice of PD ammo is comparable or even sub-par to the duty ammo of the MSP (given the previously posted information)?

I realize that the 9mm to .40 cal comparison is highly debated of course...
I had to use 50Y data because Remington's website did not have 25Y data.

ballistics from federal's website:
MSP's Federal Hydrashok EFMJ .40cal 165gr

Velocity in Feet per Second (To nearest 10 FPS)
Muzzle 50Y
980 924

Energy in Foot Pounds (To nearest 5 Foot Pounds)
Muzzle 50Y
352 312
Federal Premium - Handgun Details

my preferred choice of PD ammo:
Rem Golden Saber HPJ 9mm(+p) 124gr

Velocity (ft/sec)
Muzzle 50Y
1180 1089

Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 50Y
384 327
Remington.com - Products - Ammunition - Ballistics

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
So for you armchair lawyers and firearm aficionados out there, would you say my preferred choice of PD ammo is comparable or even sub-par to the duty ammo of the MSP (given the previously posted information)?

I realize that the 9mm to .40 cal comparison is highly debated of course...
I had to use 50Y data because Remington's website did not have 25Y data.

ballistics from federal's website:
MSP's Federal Hydrashok EFMJ .40cal 165gr

Velocity in Feet per Second (To nearest 10 FPS)
Muzzle 50Y
980 924

Energy in Foot Pounds (To nearest 5 Foot Pounds)
Muzzle 50Y
352 312
Federal Premium - Handgun Details

my preferred choice of PD ammo:
Rem Golden Saber HPJ 9mm(+p) 124gr

Velocity (ft/sec)
Muzzle 50Y
1180 1089

Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 50Y
384 327
Remington.com - Products - Ammunition - Ballistics

Instead of just going by raw numbers I'd look at other data. Here is one source, because there is alot that is not told in the numbers.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo AMMUNITION

dustin

UAIOE
Instead of just going by raw numbers I'd look at other data. Here is one source, because there is alot that is not told in the numbers.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo AMMUNITION
thanks for the link!

But if you could imagine yourself as anti-gun, and you had jury duty for a self defense trial (and prior to the trial, completely uninformed about ammunition tests/statistics), would you consider the Rem GS 9mm round to be equal to or less "deadly"

*groan*

as the LEO issued round?