What are some of your best low carb tips?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Mission has low carb tortillas that are amazing. 4g net (13g carb, 9g fiber) per tortilla and they are the same flavor and consistency as the regular ones.

PeoplesElbow

Mission has low carb tortillas that are amazing. 4g net (13g carb, 9g fiber) per tortilla and they are the same flavor and consistency as the regular ones.

Never liked the Mission ones, La Tortilla Factory or Ole have much better low carb ones.

Schmidt has some pretty good low carb bread, but if not in Maryland you can always get Natures Own Zero Sugar bread for an almost low carb bread.

If it wasn't for the tortillas and bread I don't think I could have stuck with low carb diet for 4 months now.

For "crackers" I bake shreaded cheese on non stick aluminum foil.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Never liked the Mission ones, La Tortilla Factory or Ole have much better low carb ones.

Schmidt has some pretty good low carb bread, but if not in Maryland you can always get Natures Own Zero Sugar bread for an almost low carb bread.

If it wasn't for the tortillas and bread I don't think I could have stuck with low carb diet for 4 months now.

For "crackers" I bake shreaded cheese on non stick aluminum foil.

Those Ole low carb tortillas are awesome!

PeoplesElbow

Breakfast

One thing I miss the hell out of is fried potatoes for breakfast. I found a pretty decent alternative that is fairly close in taste.

https://www.forkandbeans.com/2015/01/08/jicama-home-fries/

Cashiers usually look weird at the jicama when I go through the checkout with it.

I was also a huge biscuit eater, I could have eaten an entire pan of biscuits if I wanted to. Without the cheese these aren't that great, but with it they are pretty decent.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/paleo-almond-flour-biscuits-low-carb-gluten-free/

warneckutz

Mashed Cauliflower... whatever comes in the frozen tray... I couldn't believe how good it tastes.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anyone know of a Jicima source here in SM ? I haven't seen them in Weis or shopper's.

Shopper's used to have it. In fact, that's what's best about Shopper's (besides the fried chickie): they have a good selection of ethnic produce.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Mashed Cauliflower... whatever comes in the frozen tray... I couldn't believe how good it tastes.

I forgot about that - thanks for the reminder!

What is ass are the frozen zoodles. Ick. Mushy and gross. The fresh ones in the produce section are much better.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you take the low carb tortillas and sprinkle them with shredded parm and seasonings, then microwave for 45 seconds, it becomes a tasty chip.

This is my worst craving when I'm low carbing: crunchy stuff. And celery sticks don't cut it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Also, drinking. Sunset celebrations just aren't the same without a drinkie. So today Monello bought me:

Mich Ultra Amber
Vodka
Olives stuffed with various things
Zing Zang bloody Mary mix
Michelada mix (which is basically spicy bloody Mary)
Sugar-free ginger beer

I'm a lame ass drinker - beer and maybe once a year I'll have a mule or something. We had this idea when we first took off that we'd have a cocktail hour every evening, but we either forget or don't care. I made the transition to Mich Ultra, and I like Bloody Mary's and LOVE Micheladas, but forget to drink them. So now I'm trying to remember.

PeoplesElbow

I forgot about that - thanks for the reminder!

What is ass are the frozen zoodles. Ick. Mushy and gross. The fresh ones in the produce section are much better.

What do you do to your zoodles? I been wanting to try them but have no idea what to do to them.

Have you tried the noodleized buttenut squash too?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What do you do to your zoodles? I been wanting to try them but have no idea what to do to them.

Have you tried the noodleized buttenut squash too?

I tried Kwillia's air fryer zoodles and they were somewhat gross. She's usually pretty good about food, so I must have done something wrong.

What I do with zoodles is put a layer of them on a plate, grill a steak, then place the steak on the zoodle bed to rest. This heats up the zoodles and softens them just a bit, but leaving them in their natural vegetable state. Because zoodles are a vegetable, not pasta.

I'm going to try Kwillia's air fryer method for butternut squash zoodles because they have less water, so I think it would work better.

I tried Kwillia's air fryer zoodles and they were somewhat gross. She's usually pretty good about food, so I must have done something wrong.

What I do with zoodles is put a layer of them on a plate, grill a steak, then place the steak on the zoodle bed to rest. This heats up the zoodles and softens them just a bit, but leaving them in their natural vegetable state. Because zoodles are a vegetable, not pasta.

I'm going to try Kwillia's air fryer method for butternut squash zoodles because they have less water, so I think it would work better.
Zucchini is a very wet veggie. After you spiraled, did you 'weep' them by sprinkling them with seasoned salt and then let them sit on a paper towel? If not they will still be mushy. After I weeped them I spritzed with evoo then air-fried on 390 and they were yummy and crunchy without being burnt.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Zucchini is a very wet veggie. After you spiraled, did you 'weep' them by sprinkling them with seasoned salt and then let them sit on a paper towel? If not they will still be mushy. After I weeped them I spritzed with evoo then air-fried on 390 and they were yummy and crunchy without being burnt.

I did that - parts were crunchy and parts were mushy. I'm going to try butternut squash zoodles and see how they do.

PeoplesElbow

Is that like a baked crunch or a raw vegetable crunch?