What are you supposed to do?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Without being there, it's impossible to comment. I can't even imagine the circumstances they were under while making life or death decisions, including their own.

However I can say this...If I were a patient and had to make the decisions of being given lethal injection, or dying a slow, tortuous death due to heat and lack of medication/care, I'd take lethal injection.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
elaine said:
Without being there, it's impossible to comment. I can't even imagine the circumstances they were under while making life or death decisions, including their own.

However I can say this...If I were a patient and had to make the decisions of being given lethal injection, or dying a slow, tortuous death due to heat and lack of medication/care, I'd take lethal injection.

I'd stick it to you if you asked me to. :huggy:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I'm not sure if I got a scary feeling about health care givers, or whether it's just a plain old disgusting one.

You put your trust - your life - in these folks hands, and that's what they do?
Depending on their condition, if they were lucid or drugged, out of it, who knows, but it had to be a frightful condition for those incapacitated to be left alone, with a hurricane and winds out there beyond the walls.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Kill your patients via lethal injections because you don't have the resources you need to keep them alive. This is also going to end up backfiriing and responsibility will untimately be pinned on the Dept. of Homeland Security. They had three days prior to the hurricane to get what they needed to these areas to at least help the hospital workers. Instead, they choose to evacuate the rich and leave the sick, poor and elderly behind. I know people who volunteered with the Red Cross. It was probably more than a week befor medical supplies got to the hurricane zone. And of course, in every other area besides New Orleans, it was rushed out when Rita stormed ashore - moved to Houston.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
This is also going to end up backfiriing and responsibility will untimately be pinned on the Dept. of Homeland Security. They had three days prior to the hurricane to get what they needed to these areas to at least help the hospital workers. Instead, they choose to evacuate the rich and leave the sick, poor and elderly behind.

:bs:

MMDad

Lem Putt
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
Kill your patients via lethal injections because you don't have the resources you need to keep them alive. This is also going to end up backfiriing and responsibility will untimately be pinned on the Dept. of Homeland Security. They had three days prior to the hurricane to get what they needed to these areas to at least help the hospital workers. Instead, they choose to evacuate the rich and leave the sick, poor and elderly behind. I know people who volunteered with the Red Cross. It was probably more than a week befor medical supplies got to the hurricane zone. And of course, in every other area besides New Orleans, it was rushed out when Rita stormed ashore - moved to Houston.

God forbid the State of Lousiana or the City of New Orleans take any action at all. Nope, this is a conspiracy. That's why we have all of the supplies stockpiled where rich people live.

Are you aware of the FACT that a disproportionally large number of "wealthy" (read not on welfare) people died in N.O.? Of course not, because you don't care about the truth.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
Instead, they choose to evacuate the rich and leave the sick, poor and elderly behind.
OMG! :lmao:

Andy, my auntie-in-law's parents and sisters were some of those "rich" that evacuated. Nobody helped them - they packed up and left when it started looking bad. Went to her brother's in Monroe and crowded into his little house until it was safe to go back. Their home was practically destroyed and they lost everything in it. They're in the process of rebuilding even as we speak.

They didn't get a fancy hotel room, nor did they get a government debit card. They got no government assistance in any way, shape or form. But there they are, living in a room until the rest of the house can get straightened out.

Please explain how you expect the Dept. of Homeland Security to prevent hurricanes in the future.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Larry Gude said:
Here's your dilemma for the day:

You're a medical worker and you're on duty during the hurricane.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/feb/06022201.html
Sorry to allow the idiot to hijack the post.

What I could do: go around giving the doses to anyone who wanted them.

What I couldn't do: Put it in their IV and push the plunger.

As a health care worker, you have a responsibility like a cop, firefighter, or soldier. You can't leave until you can't help any more. That means you can't leave to help your family. Since I'm not in the military any more, I would leave and get my family out of the way.

The people who stayed are to be commended, no matter what. They were taking care of people as they believed was correct, or they would have just left them to die in pain.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember the Governor of Louisiana received a message from the White House, or Fema, whatever - "We're ready to send troops - National Guard - supplies", etc., 2 days after the hurricane hit.

I also believe I heard that offer was refused. Am I wrong?

AndyMarquisLIVE

I really am a conpiract theorist. I don't doubt for a moment that there were rich people left behind for dire in KATRINA. Most of the residents left behind, or in New Orleans anyways, were prodominently poor. Think about this though, those who evacuated before the hurricane and those who had the financial resources to get back on their feet have for the most part. There are still some who haven't and the way the recovery is going they may never have a permanent home.

There's also no doubt that the local and state governments have to take their part of the blame. The biggest problem is that emergency services (local state and federal) rely on the National Hurricane Center for knowing what destructyion a hurricane may bring. 48-72 hours before Katrina hit, i had threatened to be a Category 2 possibly major category three. We were told the levees could hold back a category three. Instead, Katrina srpassed Cat 2, Cat 3 and Cat 4 status, becoming a catastrophic Category 5 hurricane. Thank god it only mae landfall as a category three (or so says the National Hurricane Center after assessing the damage in New Orleans, which was hit by the less powerful west side of the storm).

What I'm getting at, there's improvements that needto be made all around. They need to get better forecasting technology into the NHC/NOAA. I'm sure they can predict what a storm can do if I can and NBC Weather Plus can come more accurate on landfall targets than the NWS.

Look up Microcast and ESP:Live when you get the chance. These are tools that are only on Weather Plus and MSNBC. Very accurate forecasting tools. National Weather Service largely relies on WSI (This is what CNN turns to).

AndyMarquisLIVE

vraiblonde said:
Please explain how you expect the Dept. of Homeland Security to prevent hurricanes in the future.
There is technology that the Military was looking at in the lat 90s that they felt could actually weaken hurricanes. I had seen it on some Florida CBS station a few years ago. What it was actually able to do was create two cnsiderably weaker eyewalls instead of one incredibly powerful eyewall. Although that has ot even been proven the cause of thetwo eyewalls become some storms form two eyewalls (I think it as Hurricane CARLA they performed the 'expiriment' on but I'm not sure of that) or even two eyes naturally (example: Hurricane WILMA).

Google this up when you get the chance. DHS and military started funding this very recently. This was being funded in the late 90s by Clinton I THINK, I cannot be sure on this.

I sparsley remember what they had said on the WIK-TV CBS report it was so long ago.

Angel

~*~*~
Had this catastrophic event happened prior to NOAA ever being thought of, who would you blame? Why does there always have to be a fall guy? Mother Nature took her course and unfortunately alot of people are suffering because of it. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY SOMEBODY ELSE IS ALWAYS TO BLAME!?

MMDad

Lem Putt
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
There is technology that the Military was looking at in the lat 90s that they felt could actually weaken hurricanes. I had seen it on some Florida CBS station a few years ago. What it was actually able to do was create two cnsiderably weaker eyewalls instead of one incredibly powerful eyewall. Although that has ot even been proven the cause of thetwo eyewalls become some storms form two eyewalls (I think it as Hurricane CARLA they performed the 'expiriment' on but I'm not sure of that) or even two eyes naturally (example: Hurricane WILMA).

Google this up when you get the chance. DHS and military started funding this very recently. This was being funded in the late 90s by Clinton I THINK, I cannot be sure on this.

I sparsley remember what they had said on the WIK-TV CBS report it was so long ago.

You are an absolute freaking idiot. Did you suffer a severe brain injury?

Mikeinsmd

AndyMarquisLIVE said:
Instead, they choose to evacuate the rich and leave the sick, poor and elderly behind. And of course, in every other area besides New Orleans, it was rushed out when Rita stormed ashore - moved to Houston.
Do me a favor & change your AV. I prefer anyone making posts like this not be associated with nascar. TIA :smack: :buttkick:

Mikeinsmd

Penn said:
I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember the Governor of Louisiana received a message from the White House, or Fema, whatever - "We're ready to send troops - National Guard - supplies", etc., 2 days after the hurricane hit. I also believe I heard that offer was refused. Am I wrong?
WINNER WINNER WINNER!!!! :high5:

Andy, you forget about this?

B

Bruzilla

AndyMarquisLIVE said:
They had three days prior to the hurricane to get what they needed to these areas to at least help the hospital workers.

So... you move all this equipment and supplies into the impacted area BEFORE the storm hits. Putting aside the fact that these storms tend to wander around a bit before they hit, which makes it difficult to tell exactly where they are going to hit even as late as T-8hrs, suppose you guess right and park all your equipment and supplies right into the impact area before the storm hits? Why do you need all this equipment and supplies after a hurricane hits? Isn't it because most of the equipment and supplies that are already there are destroyed by the storm? So what's going to prevent your relief supplies from also getting destroyed? Only an idiot would park their relief equipment and supplies anywhere near the impact area. If they are damaged or destroyed they aren't going to do much good.

And how do you help the hospital workers? All of those folks who are too sick to be moved... do you force the doctors to move them even if you're not sure where the storm is going to hit? What if patients die because you forced their moves, and the storm veers off and doesn't hit their hospital after all? Who's to blame for their deaths? The officials who forced the move or the doctors who caved and made the move... inquiring lawyers want to know.