What are you supposed to do?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Yeah, and what about all those busses, the ones parked in a lot that we saw over and over, that could have, but were never used until days later?

They knew this hurricane was coming; they knew the "track" it was on. Why not make preparatory plans to move these people?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I think enough's enough. Blame's been assigned, lessons learned have been compiled, and although we're better-educated we will still be ill-prepared for the next one. As for the triage choices made, it's almost pointless to second-guess such a thing because in an urgent situation, the person on the front line is still the one who has to make the tough choices. Retraining, for those who choose to stay in those jobs after such a tragedy, will include lessons learned.

willie

Railroad said:
I think enough's enough. Blame's been assigned, lessons learned have been compiled, and although we're better-educated we will still be ill-prepared for the next one. As for the triage choices made, it's almost pointless to second-guess such a thing because in an urgent situation, the person on the front line is still the one who has to make the tough choices. Retraining, for those who choose to stay in those jobs after such a tragedy, will include lessons learned.
Retraining someone of Mayor Nagins mentality is a waste of time.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
The biggest problem is that emergency services (local state and federal) rely on the National Hurricane Center for knowing what destructyion a hurricane may bring. 48-72 hours before Katrina hit, i had threatened to be a Category 2 possibly major category three. We were told the levees could hold back a category three. Instead, Katrina srpassed Cat 2, Cat 3 and Cat 4 status, becoming a catastrophic Category 5 hurricane. Thank god it only mae landfall as a category three (or so says the National Hurricane Center after assessing the damage in New Orleans, which was hit by the less powerful west side of the storm).

What I'm getting at, there's improvements that needto be made all around. They need to get better forecasting technology into the NHC/NOAA. I'm sure they can predict what a storm can do if I can and NBC Weather Plus can come more accurate on landfall targets than the NWS.
:killingme
Was all that reported and constantly updated?
It wasn't the forcasting. If a major hurricane is predictated to hit where you live, and you live below sea level you might consider seeking higher ground.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
If any blame is to be laid, it should be laid on the original founders of New Orleans. Lesson: Do not build a city below sea level. It will eventually get very wet.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
2ndAmendment said:
If any blame is to be laid, it should be laid on the original founders of New Orleans. Lesson: Do not build a city below sea level. It will eventually get very wet.

Venice is sinking.

SamSpade

2ndAmendment said:
It *wasn't* below sea level then.

New Orleans was like a lot of coastal cities built on tidal flats - constant, low-level flooding. This however, also did something else - replenished the eroding soil with new amounts of MUD.

Then someone gets the great idea of building a levee. Consequence? NO FLOODS. No mud. City sinks without the benefit of new mud coming into town.

What they SHOULD do, is what Seattle did last century - build the city UP. Seattle has an entire "basement" of where the old town used to be. It's sitting on top of a layer of the previous city, as a result of a deliberate effort to "raise it up".

AndyMarquisLIVE

"A New Approach to Hurricane Reduction"

Source: MB-Soft via MSN

An entirely unique method might be effective in either stopping hurricanes from first forming or reducing their power once they exist, or both. A method based on the Physics principle of Resonance, and specifically a second order Quadrupole Resonance seems certainly worth investigating! The concept is very similar to inducing vibrations in a wineglass to cause it to shatter due to music!

It has long been known that once a hurricane goes over land, its strength rapidly degrades and also that a lot of tornadoes are reported. No one seems to have ever connected these two facts, but I believe they are intimately related. Each tornado that spawns off of a hurricane immediately carries away a good deal of energy (as kinetic energy of rotation of the tornado), which then rapidly dissipates as the tornado disperses.

I believe that this relationship is a potential key to dealing with hurricanes. I believe that it may be possible to ARTIFICIALLY induce tornadoes to spawn off of a hurricane. If this could be done while a hurricane is still far at sea, it may be possible to degrade a hurricane's strength, or perhaps even entirely disrupt its circulation, causing it to simply fade out of existence, far at sea and away from causing damage to people or property. In the Spring of 2002, I tried to discuss this matter with the NHC (National Hurricane Center) and related government Agencies, but they seemed to ignore the fact that I am a Physicist and instead simply assumed that hurricanes are too large and too powerful for humans to affect. I believe they may be wrong about that, along the lines of the shattering wineglass mentioned below! However, even if their assumption is right, that we humans are just to puny to affect a hurricane, doesn't it seem at least logical to try some fairly simple and inexpensive experiments, in the remote chance it might work? | MORE >>

truby20

Fighting like a girl
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
Very accurate forecasting tools. National Weather Service largely relies on WSI (This is what CNN turns to).
What are you talking about??

It's absolutely ridiculous that you would post something so false.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
SamSpade said:
It *wasn't* below sea level then.

New Orleans was like a lot of coastal cities built on tidal flats - constant, low-level flooding. This however, also did something else - replenished the eroding soil with new amounts of MUD.

Then someone gets the great idea of building a levee. Consequence? NO FLOODS. No mud. City sinks without the benefit of new mud coming into town.

What they SHOULD do, is what Seattle did last century - build the city UP. Seattle has an entire "basement" of where the old town used to be. It's sitting on top of a layer of the previous city, as a result of a deliberate effort to "raise it up".
Building on mud flats, sand beaches (Outer Banks), cliffs, barrier islands, all bad ideas. Eventually nature is going to deal a hand that leaves you broke or dead. Humans are too stupid for words. People knew by the time of Matthew 7:25-27 that it is not a good thing to build on sand or other unstable ground. Still, we do it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ding, Ding, Ding..............

2ndAmendment said:

And we have a WINNAH!

Would you like $365,000,000 or just this nice plaque?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Oh I'm sorry!

2ndAmendment said:
I'll take the cash option, thanks.

...you JUST missed the deadline! We're now taking the cash to buy a port in Dubai.

Also, sadly, your plaque was in a warehouse in...New Orleans. But, thanks for playing!

AndyMarquisLIVE

truby20 said:
What are you talking about??

It's absolutely ridiculous that you would post something so false.
The website www.wsi.com offers many services to the National Hurricane Center. My Weather and NBC Weather Plus offer similar services but they're not publicly avalible for free such as WSI. Intellicast.com is a great website to check out.

Even though this animation is accurate in the speed Katrina makes landfall in New Orleans, it doesn't predict the rapid growth Katrina made from a category 2 to a category 5 in 24 hours. This is as of 8pm on August 27th. The storm had just become a major (Category 3) hurricane but by dawn the next morning, the storm would be a catastrophic Category 5.

As slightly mentioned in the link above, mandatory evacuations were not declared until Sunday morning (Aug. 28th) as of 10am CDT. The storm made landfall in Slidell at 5:45am CDT (Around that time) the next morning.

That is just not enough time to evacuate an entire city. Remember the difference between a voluntary evacuation and a mandatory evacuation. None are actually mandatory in New Orleans (I was up all night that night watching WWL-TV's live internet stream). In New Orleans, a mandatory evacuation must be declared by the Mayor before they can recieve federal assistance in evacuating the city.

The lead-up to the storm was alot of mistakes on the local government and state government's behalf and the aftermath of the storm falls at the feet of the Dept. of Homeland Security. In short, it's all because of a necessary "evil" (in this case): Beuracracy.

donbarzini

Mikeinsmd said:
Do me a favor & change your AV. I prefer anyone making posts like this not be associated with nascar. TIA :smack: :buttkick:

I don't think he intends that as a "Nascar" av. I think he wants us to know what his IQ is without seeming like he's bragging.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
In New Orleans, a mandatory evacuation must be declared by the Mayor before they can recieve federal assistance in evacuating the city.
Andy, you are obviously one of those people who thinks government should do everything for everyone. I am not, so I doubt I'll be agreeing with you anytime soon.

I watched the Katrina coverage and I saw what those folks had to say about their situation:

"We need food! We need water! Someone come save us RIGHT NOW! My baby is starving!"

Any sympathy I might have had for them evaporated when I saw what a bunch of dependent whiners they were who literally could do nothing for themselves besides loot the Wal-Mart. If you have a baby and a hurricane is coming, GET OUT OF THE CITY. Most of them probably didn't have cars, I realize that. But now you have to think about people who cannot provide even something as rudimentary as transportation for themselves.

I resent like hell my tax dollars going toward keeping these people fed and housed. They refused to take responsibility for themselves, and now are pissing and moaning that the government won't continue to support them on MY hard-earned money.

The whole Katrina mess put a face to the welfare class, and it wasn't a pretty sight.