What do yall think of this?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Just saw a presentation by Col Hickey.. 4th ID Bde Commader that captured saddam..= VERY enlightening considering what we here from the press. no attacks on his tropps for three consecutive months, enemy in his sector no longer have RPG's to shoot at his troops.. working economy.. jobs.. America support... running water and working sewer system.. IED's in his area blowing up more insurgents/ terrorists then they are anyone else.

The way he put it, he is in charge of combat trained troops, the combat arms of the Army.. insurgents and Terrorists/ mercenaries won't mess with his troops, and they are well enough trained not to drive into an IED. The people in his sector that had the most problems were people driving through from other areas.. Supply, Transportation, Reserve and NG people.. The EASY, less trained soldiers are what the insurgents are all targetting now.

cyphertext69 said:
Yep...just because I just got back doesn't exactly mean that I agree with what is going on there.
That's what I was curious about. Do you think you wasted your time?

C

cyphertext69

itsbob said:
Just saw a presentation by Col Hickey.. 4th ID Bde Commader that captured saddam..= VERY enlightening considering what we here from the press. no attacks on his tropps for three consecutive months, enemy in his sector no longer have RPG's to shoot at his troops.. working economy.. jobs.. America support... running water and working sewer system.. IED's in his area blowing up more insurgents/ terrorists then they are anyone else.

The way he put it, he is in charge of combat trained troops, the combat arms of the Army.. insurgents and Terrorists/ mercenaries won't mess with his troops, and they are well enough trained not to drive into an IED. The people in his sector that had the most problems were people driving through from other areas.. Supply, Transportation, Reserve and NG people.. The EASY, less trained soldiers are what the insurgents are all targetting now.

This is very true...they actually look for "soft" targets. However, the tactics for the military is the same whereever they are, whether it's supply, transportation or whatever, but they all have the same tactics...when the insurgents place an IED, they really don't distingush a "soft" target from a "hard" target while the convoy is moving 50-55 mph.

They have ECCM (Electronic Counter Communications Measures) there that actually block the IED from going off....most of the transportation and supply companies turn theirs off because they find it blocks radio communications...forgetting it may save someone's life.

Also another problem is that some companies only get a few of them so the ECCM doesn't actually cover the entire convoy.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You mean like us dumping phosporus chemical bombs on innocent men, women, and children in Fallujah, and burning them all alive?

I guess "Phosphorous Chemical Bombs" sound better then Smoke Canisters, or Concealment Smoke Rounds.. Demoncrats are so stupid, it's scary, and someday soon they may win the whitehouse again, and give into the terrorists so all will be peaceful again.. JUST like Palestine..

C

cyphertext69

kwillia said:
That's what I was curious about. Do you think you wasted your time?

Our Leadership may have made (in some people's opinion's) bad choices, however, there are soldiers dying everyday there that could possibly use help from me....since that is the case, I feel that I have gone to help my fellow soldiers more than choices of the leadership.

C

cyphertext69

itsbob said:
You mean like us dumping phosporus chemical bombs on innocent men, women, and children in Fallujah, and burning them all alive?

I guess "Phosphorous Chemical Bombs" sound better then Smoke Canisters, or Concealment Smoke Rounds.. Demoncrats are so stupid, it's scary, and someday soon they may win the whitehouse again, and give into the terrorists so all will be peaceful again.. JUST like Palestine..

Umm, I think you have Phosphorus Chemical Bombs mixed up with smoke rounds or something else....PCB's are real nasty...its almost like Napalm.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
cyphertext69 said:
This is very true...they actually look for "soft" targets. However, the tactics for the military is the same whereever they are, whether it's supply, transportation or whatever, but they all have the same tactics...when the insurgents place an IED, they really don't distingush a "soft" target from a "hard" target while the convoy is moving 50-55 mph.

They have ECCM (Electronic Counter Communications Measures) there that actually block the IED from going off....most of the transportation and supply companies turn theirs off because they find it blocks radio communications...forgetting it may save someone's life.

Also another problem is that some companies only get a few of them so the ECCM doesn't actually cover the entire convoy.

ECCM doesn't work on all IED's either, it won't paralyze a suiciders finger from pushing a button on a mechanical detonator or ignitor. Was looking for info on the IED program since the NAVY has the lead I'd love to get involved in it.

From the "brief", in their area (around TIKRIT) they couldn't even emplace IED's anymore.. they were trying to deploy them out of moving cars, which in turn they kept killing themselves.. He employed hundreds of Iraqui's to clean all the streets in the area continuosly.. so they knew if they saw anything on the road, coffee can, broken down car.. it shouldn't be there.. and treated it like an IED. Wish I could get a copy of his brief. he used a LOT of Cavalry in his AO very effectively, destroying over (damn can't remember the number he gave) either 2 million or 20 million pounds of ammuniton/weapons and explosives, in his area alone.

C

cyphertext69

itsbob said:
ECCM doesn't work on all IED's either, it won't paralyze a suiciders finger from pushing a button on a mechanical detonator or ignitor. Was looking for info on the IED program since the NAVY has the lead I'd love to get involved in it.

From the "brief", in their area (around TIKRIT) they couldn't even emplace IED's anymore.. they were trying to deploy them out of moving cars, which in turn they kept killing themselves.. He employed hundreds of Iraqui's to clean all the streets in the area continuosly.. so they knew if they saw anything on the road, coffee can, broken down car.. it shouldn't be there.. and treated it like an IED. Wish I could get a copy of his brief. he used a LOT of Cavalry in his AO very effectively, destroying over (damn can't remember the number he gave) either 2 million or 20 million pounds of ammuniton/weapons and explosives, in his area alone.

You are right, ECCM does not paralyze a suicider's finger. It also won't stop it from being victim activated either. The only thing that it really stops is the remote detonated.

He is a good commander and uses his forces effectively. Fortunately for him, he is in a urban area where he can employ those Iraqi's. I was in the desert and we covered 250 sq/miles of wasteland....to control each passing person would be too tedious and require too many forces....On the same token though, we only lost 5 people out of 1000 (and about 90 wounded)....when we were leaving, the incoming company ("soft" targets) lost 5 from the get-go.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
He did show some footage where an M1A2 (70 tons) was thrown about 100 feet, turret seperated and flew an additonal couple of hundred feet, from an IED made out of multiple 155mm rounds..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
cyphertext69 said:
You are right, ECCM does not paralyze a suicider's finger. It also won't stop it from being victim activated either. The only thing that it really stops is the remote detonated.

He is a good commander and uses his forces effectively. Fortunately for him, he is in a urban area where he can employ those Iraqi's. I was in the desert and we covered 250 sq/miles of wasteland....to control each passing person would be too tedious and require too many forces....On the same token though, we only lost 5 people out of 1000 (and about 90 wounded)....when we were leaving, the incoming company ("soft" targets) lost 5 from the get-go.
Sounds callous, but 5/1000 isn't bad at all (unless you were one of the five).. we probably had worse numbers in peace time training in Germany.. We had a couple of battalions (<500) men lose someone everytime they went out the gate. And EVERY battalion lost a few every year.

Five on the way in country sucks.. not a good way to keep up moral.

C

cyphertext69

itsbob said:
Sounds callous, but 5/1000 isn't bad at all (unless you were one of the five).. we probably had worse numbers in peace time training in Germany.. We had a couple of battalions (<500) men lose someone everytime they went out the gate. And EVERY battalion lost a few every year.

Five on the way in country sucks.. not a good way to keep up moral.

Definitely not....the company that lost the first one started to decline missions.

C

cyphertext69

itsbob said:
He did show some footage where an M1A2 (70 tons) was thrown about 100 feet, turret seperated and flew an additonal couple of hundred feet, from an IED made out of multiple 155mm rounds..

This is common (not for an M1A1) when IED's hit vehicles.

We had a fully up-armored HMMWV get thrown 70 feet from (2) 155mm rounds. It completely flipped it over like something pushed it from the bottom...When I get home and at my personal computer, I will have to post a picture of one of my friend's HMMVW's that got hit with the Soap shavings and Gasoline IED's (mock phosporus).