What do you call it?

AMP

Jersey attitude.
How do you introduce or refer to a spouse from whom one has been separated for several years, divorce coming as soon as wife gets a job with benefits. Not with friends, but with casual acquaintances, new people, etc.

"my soon to be ex"?
"my ex"?
"Joe/Sue"?

It is socially embarassing when someone says "ex" but then launches into the explanation of how they are separated but not divorced yet but will be at some point, even though they are still good friends... :blahblah: But how else to put it? If you say "ex" people ask if you are dating, then you have to backtrack and say, "well, we're really not divorced yet..."

chaotic

This is your captain!
If you are friends, you could just say, "This is my friend Hildy. Hildy, this is Geert." If you aren't friends anymore, why are you socializing?

That doesn't mean I didn't find it awkward, while I was separated. Now that I am divorced, I am no longer "divorced", I am "not married." Less a need to explain anything, and I don't get judgement-looks.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Just go with the first name of the soon-to-be-ex. You shouldn't have to explain, justify, or validate your relationship with him/her to anyone.

BadGirl said:
Just go with the first name of the soon-to-be-ex. You shouldn't have to explain, justify, or validate your relationship with him/her to anyone.
Then how come you introduced my to :gossip: saying, "this is my ho boy that used to :gossip: my :gossip: but now I go to :gossip: for my wanton needs"...:shrug:

AMP

Jersey attitude.
The "not married" explanation sounds good, I will take that, thank you. :)

I left one intro out - "the father of my child". :)

The middle ground is difficult. Thanks for your replies.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My ex and I said "ex" the minute we separated and we were on good terms. "Bob, this is Vrai, my ex wife" No further explanation. :shrug:

AMP

Jersey attitude.
vraiblonde said:
My ex and I said "ex" the minute we separated and we were on good terms. "Bob, this is Vrai, my ex wife" No further explanation. :shrug:

I guess I talk too much. :cheesy: I think it may be about time to just go with "ex".

Never thought to ask him how he refers to me. Hmmm...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SmallTown said:
Being an open forum, I can't say what I call her :whistle:
You better not call her anything bad or I'll smack you upside your head. :mad: She's a much nicer person since your raggedy azz got gone :whistle:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
kwillia said:
Then how come you introduced me to :gossip: saying, "this is my ho boy that used to :gossip: my :gossip: but now I go to :gossip: for my wanton needs"...:shrug:
Because when I say "my ho boy" I get all confused, because I have too many ho boys to keep them all straight. Besides, I don't :gossip: anymore since it threw my back out a few weeks ago. Now I go to the Chinese restaurant to get my won ton needs satisfied. :yay:

D

Dixie

AMP said:
How do you introduce or refer to a spouse from whom one has been separated for several years, divorce coming as soon as wife gets a job with benefits. Not with friends, but with casual acquaintances, new people, etc.

"my soon to be ex"?
"my ex"?
"Joe/Sue"?

It is socially embarassing when someone says "ex" but then launches into the explanation of how they are separated but not divorced yet but will be at some point, even though they are still good friends... :blahblah: But how else to put it? If you say "ex" people ask if you are dating, then you have to backtrack and say, "well, we're really not divorced yet..."

This is my future ex wife.