What do you think.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I guess if you taser them in the junk it could be a wood something or other.

glhs837

Power with Control
How about the current wave of shootings, the sheriff dept seems inept at stoping the shootings, even blocks from their fancy new building on GMR?

How about their lack of traffic enforcement on RT235 during the hours it needs it most?
I think if any of these issues are going to be addressed the Sheriff's dept. needs more manpower and $. Those animals doing the shooting and going to do it until they run out of bullets. As for 235 traffic enforcement has never been applied there to my knowledge.
On Sunday morning it has, quite frequently.

There's a basic misapprehension of the actual vs the stated purpose of traffic enforcement in play here I think.

Law enforcement has two actual reasons to do traffic enforcement.

1. Get "heads in cars", meaning traffic enforcements primary mission is to let officers find folks guilty of other more serious crimes. How many times do you read reports that start with a pullover and end with other charges? Like it or not, that's what officers view as their purpose when looking at who to pull over.
2. Show the flag, meaning make the citizenry aware that the Sheriff takes traffic enforcement "seriously". But not in a way that would make people late getting to work or getting home from work. So you get 9am Sunday enforcement actions, not 4pm on Wednesday. Sheriff Evans was able to do so because his main artery has nice wide shoulders to pull people over in.

Stated purpose is to enhance traffic safety and reduce " aggressive" driving. Number one issue I see is cell phone use, but our Sheriffs last public statement years ago was that he would dedicate time to that when there was grant money for it.

PeoplesElbow

There's a basic misapprehension of the actual vs the stated purpose of traffic enforcement in play here I think.

Law enforcement has two actual reasons to do traffic enforcement.

1. Get "heads in cars", meaning traffic enforcements primary mission is to let officers find folks guilty of other more serious crimes. How many times do you read reports that start with a pullover and end with other charges? Like it or not, that's what officers view as their purpose when looking at who to pull over.
2. Show the flag, meaning make the citizenry aware that the Sheriff takes traffic enforcement "seriously". But not in a way that would make people late getting to work or getting home from work. So you get 9am Sunday enforcement actions, not 4pm on Wednesday. Sheriff Evans was able to do so because his main artery has nice wide shoulders to pull people over in.

Stated purpose is to enhance traffic safety and reduce " aggressive" driving. Number one issue I see is cell phone use, but our Sheriffs last public statement years ago was that he would dedicate time to that when there was grant money for it.
I'd think pulling over the ones doing dumb crap and just making themselves seen a couple days would cost less and take less of their time than all the responses to accidents caused by bullshit driving.

To me it's an excuse to not do their job.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'd think pulling over the ones doing dumb crap and just making themselves seen a couple days would cost less and take less of their time than all the responses to accidents caused by bullshit driving.

To me it's an excuse to not do their job.

Again, if you think enforcement is aimed at increasing traffic safety, you are thinking it wrong. Their job is to catch bad guys and make sure the public knows they are out there. Keeping our dump asses out of crashes, not their job.

Back when I spent some time frequenting the largest LEO forum in the country, I was surprised to find that out myself.

PeoplesElbow

Again, if you think enforcement is aimed at increasing traffic safety, you are thinking it wrong. Their job is to catch bad guys and make sure the public knows they are out there. Keeping our dump asses out of crashes, not their job.

Back when I spent some time frequenting the largest LEO forum in the country, I was surprised to find that out myself.
Then why

Why did a state policeman administer my driving test?

Simply not wanting to do it doesn't make it not their job.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Then why

Why did a state policeman administer my driving test?

Simply not wanting to do it doesn't make it not their job.

Because he was told to. Same reason the officers ist out there at 9am on a Sunday by WaWa. They damn well they are not making anyone safer, nor are they likely to catch a criminal. But you gotta keep Karen convinced you care about her safety, so you deploy troopers when you know Karen will see them on her way to Starbucks and Harris Teeter.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

What I find funny/weird/off putting, is both of the Connor's campaign signs, (the 4x8's) are nearly identical in all aspects, save for the office being sought. Are they trying to confuse the public? Pretty much stupidity in action in my opinion, or maybe narcissism being displayed.

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

What I find funny/weird/off putting, is both of the Connor's campaign signs, (the 4x8's) are nearly identical in all aspects, save for the office being sought. Are they trying to confuse the public? Pretty much stupidity in action in my opinion, or maybe narcissism being displayed.
Or just unimaginative, or too cheap to pay someone to do a new design

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I've been reading local police reports in various medium in SOMD for a while. It always amazed me how many people that were stopped for tailgating or burnt out tail light were later found with drugs and guns. I always figured that the local LE knew who to keep an eye out for. The usual suspects as they say. Because I'm sure I've done those same things but never get pulled over.

And I'm OK with them having to operate in that fashion. Just like stop & frisk. It makes a city safer. Who doesn't want that?

TPD

the poor dad
I posted this in another thread - a Republican candidate forum held last week. Here is the video of O'Connor and Hall answering questions.

This is the video of the commissioner candidates:

And this is the video of the Commissioner President candidates:

Not all Republican candidates were present for this forum. Check out Matt Morgan's Rumble for the other candidates - governor and delegates.

GoodnessME

If I may ...

Using "his" old Commissioner Campaign signs for "her" Commissioner Campaign?????

Hijinx

The Officers serving under the Sherriff should respect their Sherriff.
Respect comes from working with and observing a fellow person who has shown his dedication and placed his life on the line as they have.
O'Connor is a speech maker , an outsider that wants to run the Sherrifs' office and the County Commissioners through his wife. My opinion is Not Thanks Mr. O'Connor I will go with Hall. Someone who knows what's going on because he has been there.

TPD

the poor dad
The Officers serving under the Sherriff should respect their Sherriff.
Respect comes from working with and observing a fellow person who has shown his dedication and placed his life on the line as they have.
O'Connor is a speech maker , an outsider that wants to run the Sherrifs' office and the County Commissioners through his wife. My opinion is Not Thanks Mr. O'Connor I will go with Hall. Someone who knows what's going on because he has been there.
Just so you know - Hall will enforce the governor's unconstitutional edicts, whether its masks, gun grabbing, vaccines, or anything else our next DEMOCRATIC governor proposes. If that's what you want then Steve is your man! :buddies:

PeoplesElbow

They always look like on high beam. Surprised they are allowed. Blinding.
Too many people think you can replace a halogen bulb with an LED one and manufactures are perfectly willing to let them think that. Reflectors or projectors are made for the incandecent bulb, LED ones have a different pattern that produces a glare.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've been reading local police reports in various medium in SOMD for a while. It always amazed me how many people that were stopped for tailgating or burnt out tail light were later found with drugs and guns. I always figured that the local LE knew who to keep an eye out for. The usual suspects as they say. Because I'm sure I've done those same things but never get pulled over.

And I'm OK with them having to operate in that fashion. Just like stop & frisk. It makes a city safer. Who doesn't want that?
Back around 2006 when I got my SRT, I got interested in the police car variant of the Charger. That lead me to Forums.officer.com. There are open sections where citizens can interact with cops. There are other officer only sections citizens can see but not post. And when you see trends acrosss departments around the country, you can draw broad inferences about common behavior. In a thread about allowing 10mph over, it was about 98% in favor, with a few officers saying nope, anything more than the margin of error on the measuring equipment was gonna get a ticket. Followed by the other officers mocking that guy.

Almost universally, when citizens asked about the ways and means of traffic enforcement, asking about revenue generation, or why speed enforcement was so heavily favored over patrol, these were the answers. Revenue generation is BS, btw. An officer and his cars time costs more than he's bringing in, generally speaking. Barring certain corrupt settings like I think it was Ohio years ago. .