What do you want in a boarding facility?

W

WildHorses

Now I'm really going to stop coming on here if every time I express my opinion someone decides to zap me with red. :war:

fredsaid2

WildHorses said:
Now I'm really going to stop coming on here if every time I express my opinion someone decides to zap me with red. :war:

It would be much too boring if everyone had a similar opinion. We all get a little red here and there. At least you know you're stirring people up, much better than a boring thread that dies out!

Pensacola

I enjoy your comments. I don't even know how to give anyone green or red, but you look green to me. I don't see any red.

W

WildHorses

Don't have to see the red, just look at the power points. It's okay though, fredsaid brought me back, again!
Like I said before I'll be festive during the holidays. However, makes you wish you had said something really naughty to earn the red. Just doesn't seem right to get it for nothing. :razz:

Pensacola

I am sure my day will come. Does it really make a difference? Someone might just do it to tick you off. I am not too concerned on-line, but I have already learned this is a tiny little town. People are already talking about me and I haven't met that many people. None that I know of in the negative sense. Oh well. Silly people. I guess they need something to do with their time.

DQ2B

Back to the subject...

I want large turnout pastures with several horses turned out together, no need for stalls but enough run-in shelters for all, various terrain for healthy hoofs, indoor would be great but all-weather outdoor with lights is fine too, arena footing NOT too deep, hot water, please, please adequate lighting inside and out, NO wire fencing, I want 24/7 turnout with good pasture, no grain please, no blankets, NO hay fed from overhead racks of any kind, quality hay of VARIOUS types available, on-site intructor great but not always practible when not all boarders practice the same discipline, pastures maintained (mowed, dragged, reseeded when needed), access to trails. Those are the main things.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
DQ2B said:
Back to the subject...

I want large turnout pastures with several horses turned out together, no need for stalls but enough run-in shelters for all, various terrain for healthy hoofs, indoor would be great but all-weather outdoor with lights is fine too, arena footing NOT too deep, hot water, please, please adequate lighting inside and out, NO wire fencing, I want 24/7 turnout with good pasture, no grain please, no blankets, NO hay fed from overhead racks of any kind, quality hay of VARIOUS types available, on-site intructor great but not always practible when not all boarders practice the same discipline, pastures maintained (mowed, dragged, reseeded when needed), access to trails. Those are the main things.

"NO overhead hay racks of any kind" This caught my eye. Educate me...why? :popcorn:

spellbound

persimmoncf said:
"NO overhead hay racks of any kind" This caught my eye. Educate me...why? :popcorn:

Some people say horses should be fed from ground level because they digest better from the grazing position since that is their natural position.

My horses look uncomfortable having to reach up so high for the hay. I don't feel that I could put their racks any lower without danger of a foot getting caught in it. But I don't put their hay on the floor because a lot more of it ends up getting wasted when I do. I've tried the hay ball which does not collapse when empty and it is SUPPOSED to release if a hoof does go in it. I liked the hay ball, but it didn't last very long since my horse decided to use it as a butt scratch.

fredsaid2

Same as Spellbound. It's natural for them to eat with head lowered. There are hayracks at the barn and he always has hay in his mane and face. And it's just another thing to whack their heads on. I prefer they eat from the ground.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
The overhead racks really stir up a lot of dust in the hay as they pull it out and shake it. I've always been concerned of a hoof getting caught in the racks also.

DQ2B

Congrats to you all. I'm impressed. You're all right. It is healthier for the horse to eat from ground level for all those reasons as well as sinus issues and posture(I don't think that was mentioned). I actually walk around the pasture and spread out the hay all over. Horses are foragers and are meant to keep moving for the better part of a 24 hour day.

Last edited:
W

WildHorses

I'm afraid my guys would revolt if I turned them out 24/7 with no grain. There's something warm and fuzzy about watching them go into their nice warm stalls at night when the wind is rustling the leaves outside. I also like to know that I can come to check on them at 2 or 3 in the morning and there they will be. :flowers:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
WildHorses said:
I also like to know that I can come to check on them at 2 or 3 in the morning and there they will be. :flowers:

Or you can be like our 'ole stud LeRoy this morning at 2:00 am....and just let yourself out, and march right over to the ladies to say hellooooooo loudly enough to wake the me up to check on him :lol: