What If Oldsmobile Had Made a 442 Wagon in 1968?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Back in the decade that culminated with a pair of Americans walking on the moon and Jimi Hendrix’s plugged-in, distortion-filled, psychedelic rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner, the humble station wagon was just a family car. While there were a handful of sleepers that could be put together with some judicious selections on the options list of some cars, fast, sporty wagons have much more of a 21st century vibe than a Sixties muscle car thing.

However, as an answer to the question “What if they made muscle wagons back in the day?” may we present this modified 1968 Oldsmobile Vista-Cruiser wagon, currently offered on Hemmings Auctions. With its “442” badges and Super Stock I wheels, this many-windowed wagon packs a muscle-car-appropriate 400-cu.in. V8 under the hood with some go-fast parts bolted onto it.

Based on the A-body Cutlass sedan, but with a 5-inch longer wheelbase and a foot longer overall, the ’68 Vista Cruiser is remembered as the ultimate family car for its generation. Available in two- or three-row configurations with seating for up to nine people, the Oldsmobile wagon is also remembered for its generous use of Di-Noc woodgrain applique on the exterior and the additional glass panes in the roof that gave credence to the “Vista” part of the car’s name.

Like the rest of GM’s A-body lineup, the Vista-Cruiser benefited from a wholesale redesign in 1968 that featured more curves and the use of a single piece of glass above the rear passengers that had previously been a two-piece setup. The woodgrain for 1968 also flowed over the wheel arches, extending its reach from previous iterations. The result was a more contemporary-looking wagon to compete against Ford, Mercury, Mopar and all the other GM divisions making intermediate-size wagons

1968 Oldsmobile Vista-Cruiser station wagon front quarter

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Back in the decade that culminated with a pair of Americans walking on the moon and Jimi Hendrix’s plugged-in, distortion-filled, psychedelic rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner, the humble station wagon was just a family car. While there were a handful of sleepers that could be put together with some judicious selections on the options list of some cars, fast, sporty wagons have much more of a 21st century vibe than a Sixties muscle car thing.

However, as an answer to the question “What if they made muscle wagons back in the day?” may we present this modified 1968 Oldsmobile Vista-Cruiser wagon, currently offered on Hemmings Auctions. With its “442” badges and Super Stock I wheels, this many-windowed wagon packs a muscle-car-appropriate 400-cu.in. V8 under the hood with some go-fast parts bolted onto it.

Based on the A-body Cutlass sedan, but with a 5-inch longer wheelbase and a foot longer overall, the ’68 Vista Cruiser is remembered as the ultimate family car for its generation. Available in two- or three-row configurations with seating for up to nine people, the Oldsmobile wagon is also remembered for its generous use of Di-Noc woodgrain applique on the exterior and the additional glass panes in the roof that gave credence to the “Vista” part of the car’s name.

Like the rest of GM’s A-body lineup, the Vista-Cruiser benefited from a wholesale redesign in 1968 that featured more curves and the use of a single piece of glass above the rear passengers that had previously been a two-piece setup. The woodgrain for 1968 also flowed over the wheel arches, extending its reach from previous iterations. The result was a more contemporary-looking wagon to compete against Ford, Mercury, Mopar and all the other GM divisions making intermediate-size wagons

1968 Oldsmobile Vista-Cruiser station wagon front quarter
That looks so similar to my 70 Buick that I bought for 100 bucks. It had a 455 GS.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I never was very fond of the '68 front-end until I started helping a buddy fix up his dad's gutlass Cutless. His dad had retrofitted it with Buick V6 or some weird engine. I would've jumped when he decided to part with it, except at the time I wasn't financially able to take on another project. He also had a '59 Caddy that went for scrap around the same time.

DaSDGuy

Dad had a Buick Skylark - 1964-65 edition. It was a concept/test car that preceded the Vista Cruiser. Same roof windows.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I could write a book about the ones that got away, but when I start thinking about them, I get depressed.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Yep.

For me it was only two. They were:

1970 Ford Torino with a 429CJ
1966 Fairlane with a 427
I won't say mine were of that caliber, but they were special in their own ways. The '65 Impala SS converible 327/300, '59 Belair or Biscayne (no badging), '71 Skylark. The Skylark's only claim to fame was after I put buckets in it, it became a rolling motel room. 😉

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
That would have been an awesome aquisition.
It was an awesome car. My cousin bought it from the original owner, my uncle drove it, my brother bought it, then I got my hands on it after the original motor was lost due to the incompetence of my brother's "friend" who was storing the block and heads and gave it to the scrap man by mistake. It had a 350 and th350 when we parted ways. NoVa winters were no friend of Chevy steel either. Too big of a job for a guy with a wife and kid to support and no garage.

black dog

Free America
I never was very fond of the '68 front-end until I started helping a buddy fix up his dad's gutlass Cutless. His dad had retrofitted it with Buick V6 or some weird engine. I would've jumped when he decided to part with it, except at the time I wasn't financially able to take on another project. He also had a '59 Caddy that went for scrap around the same time.
I sent a running 1977 Smokey And the Bandit 455 black on black 4 speed, Pontiac TA to the junkyard in 1990. Nobody would buy it then.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I did my drivers test in my grandmothers vista cruiser, that fun doing a 3 point turn and parallel parking with it.

WingsOfGold

Sold my 60 Impala 348 ragtop for 350 dollars, I still dream of it 50 some years later. My buddies alcoholic father had at least 10 junk cars in his yard, 2 58 Chevys plus a old tow truck so I got whatever I wanted free. :confused: