What is that smell outside?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Sewer Sludge, chicken sh!t, hog farms, Reedville (menhaden rendering back then. Omega proteins pills now.
We could tell which way the wind was blowing by the smells....

I'll take any of those compared to living downwind from a paper mill.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I still remember the smell from the paper mill in Luke, MD wafting down the Potomac River valley (approx 20 miles as the crow flys) to my home. You'd only ever smell it in the mornings.

I used to work for Kelly Girl back in the day, and was long term placed as a secretary at Scott Paper Mill in Mobile AL. There are probably few things in this world that smell as foul as a paper mill. I never understood why making paper smells that bad.

And, when the mill went on strike at that time, they brought the office people out to run the mill. I learned to drive a forklift. I loved it! I, also, learned about working shifts/days and nights and how hard that is. Also, we were renovating a house built in 1880 that had no a/c at the time. The first thing we did was install a ceiling fan in the bedroom. :lol: I get it.

Last edited:

red_explorer

Whipping Creek Fire

Not sure where you are but about 5:30 this evening in Ridge, there was an odd smell as well. I could see a haze like something big was burning, but I wouldn't quite describe the aroma as you did.

It was probably coming up from the Carolinas. There is a large fire still smoldering in Whipping Creek, about 20 minutes across the water from Dads. I was smelling it the other day. Depends on how the winds blow.

http://outerbanksvoice.com/2016/05/16/whipping-creek-fire-still-contained-but-not-completely-out/