What is the deal with...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
A good friend of mine has the same attitude about nearly all jewelry, but especially diamonds.

His explanation - "Sam, this stuff is made from the most common stuff on earth - carbon. We can even MAKE these things. Unlike gold, there's not a finite supply - for our purposes, there's an INFINITE supply. It costs a lot, because the people who mine the stuff make SURE they don't mine too much of it. Otherwise, its value is completely made up. They're worth a lot because people THINK they are. Gold at least has some value as a metail all by itself. This stuff is made of rocks".

So - high price baskets.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
FIRST Pampered Chef person I ever met was a man, passing out invitations for a party he was HOSTING.

Of course, he did it with his wife.
Lots of couples cook together. :yay: Their gadgets aren't for everyone's taste or budget range - but they do have a lot of really neat kitchen items. I only buy very functional gadgets, but all of the items I've purchased - I love. I use them all the time. I have several of their spatulas, a knife sharpener, a couple of their mixing bowl pitchers, their manual can opener, and manual food chopper and several I'm probably forgetting.

Bann

PREMO Member
A good friend of mine has the same attitude about nearly all jewelry, but especially diamonds.

His explanation - "Sam, this stuff is made from the most common stuff on earth - carbon. We can even MAKE these things. Unlike gold, there's not a finite supply - for our purposes, there's an INFINITE supply. It costs a lot, because the people who mine the stuff make SURE they don't mine too much of it. Otherwise, its value is completely made up. They're worth a lot because people THINK they are. Gold at least has some value as a metail all by itself. This stuff is made of rocks".

So - high price baskets.
What the market will bear! :yay:

Bann

PREMO Member
I am so used to their kind I can't remember using the old way. Not intuitive, though.
I have never liked electric can openers. EVER. They get goopy and nasty - they need to be cleaned everytime you use them or they build up that nastiness around the blade.

I LOVE the PC can opener. I cannot live with that gadget, and I think I've had the same one for over 20 years. I don't recall ever having to buy another one. 🤔

SamSpade

I have never liked electric can openers. EVER. They get goopy and nasty - they need to be cleaned everytime you use them or they build up that nastiness around the blade.

I LOVE the PC can opener. I cannot live with that gadget, and I think I've had the same one for over 20 years. I don't recall ever having to buy another one. 🤔

I brought one to work and my boss tried to borrow it without me around. It was fun watching him figure it out.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Unfortunately, some REAL men have to learn to cook or rely on that $hit that emerges from the frozen section or takeout. And most women really appreciate a REAL man that can cook, serve and clean up an entire meal while they sit back, relax and enjoy a drink.
That was kind of an inside joke, like men don't care the way their hair looks. Well, some of us at least TRY to be presentable. Wifey used to love the fact that I did 99% of all the cooking in our household. She came from a 2 income household with a LOT of "prepared" foods.

SamSpade

That was kind of an inside joke, like men don't care the way their hair looks. Well, some of us at least TRY to be presentable. Wifey used to love the fact that I did 99% of all the cooking in our household. She came from a 2 income household with a LOT of "prepared" foods.

Currently - my wife is UNABLE to move about and cook breakfast, lunch and dinner, so I've been the main cook for over a month now.

Although I cooked for myself for over 25 years - I am easy to please, so good cooking isn't in my wheelhouse.
I actually thought I was pretty good, until I cooked for my wife while we dated - then, I'd find she'd sometimes be at my house before I got home, cooking. I thought she was being kind, but I realized later she hated the way I cook.

I've improved - and the kids have complained little - but everyone is anxious for us to get back to her cooking.
My youngest says I'm the best "cooker" in the world, but mostly because I make a few things she really likes. My pork lo mein is a little sweeter and spicier than you get in Chinese takeout.

Scat

Oh well, Im not one to spend any real amount of time primping in the bathroom, That part is more of a you get what you get thing. I do religiously wash my hands before and during cooking, does that count :lmao:

stgislander

PREMO Member

My wife has a PC wooden toast tongs, pizza stone, and garlic press... and loves them all. I broke her garlic press not long after we were married. I thought she was gong to draw up divorce papers.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
...or collector plates. My folks collected the complete Norman Rockwell plate collection and some others. My first wife and I collected the complete Star Trek collection....

I think they both eventually ended up at Goodwill.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
...or collector plates. My folks collected the complete Norman Rockwell plate collection and some others. My first wife and I collected the complete Star Trek collection....

I think they both eventually ended up at Goodwill.

That's harsh.

People usually send them to retirement homes.