What is Veras now?

NOTSMC

I know it's still a restaurant, but upon googling I see Vera's Restaurant that has seafood if the current menu is current and Vera's Beach Club which has Italian. Are they one and the same?

Grumpy

Going by the map in your link and looking at contact info for the Beach Club - the locations are different. It looks like the Beach Club is at the end of White Sands Dr while the Restaurant is before the road end a few hundred yards earlier.
Vera's house was converted to a restaurant??

Paul Wu

Vera's is decent. I just get the fish and chips. The fish portions are huge, the fries are very good. The cakes are very decent. The times my wife and I have been there over the past year have been very positive.
They primarily have seafood on the menu.

jaksprat

I found this that might clarify where it is - "The restaurant, our first restuarant in Maryland, is next to The Store on the ground floor of the Soho House building". Having never been there I don't know what the Soho building is.

That link looks bogus to me. There is no 1840 White Sands Dr under Contact Us, there is no menu, and what's up with the blather about pool tables, cue sticks and furby toys? From the rest of the site it looks like the domain got bought by some foreigner who's practicing his English. I think Vera's had that domain some years ago and changed over to verasrestaurant.net which is their current site.

John Z

if you will
That link looks bogus to me. There is no 1840 White Sands Dr under Contact Us, there is no menu, and what's up with the blather about pool tables, cue sticks and furby toys? From the rest of the site it looks like the domain got bought by some foreigner who's practicing his English. I think Vera's had that domain some years ago and changed over to verasrestaurant.net which is their current site.
LOL, the website is hilarious. One great nugget: "You have to be very humble to more forward with cooking".

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The restaurant, our first restuarant in Maryland, is next to The Store on the ground floor of the Soho House building. It has an open-plan kitchen, wood oven, marble floor, red leather booth seating and an outside terrace for the summer months.

Veras Beach Club has been in Maryland since 1997, located on the water in sothern Maryland

:lol:

jaksprat

Yeah, it is hilarious. It deserves a reward for something just for being so ridiculous. So where is that big cavernous basement with all the pool tables? And all those gourmet chefs? Do they live in Lusby? LOL.

NOTSMC

So I went there for lunch today. Beautiful location, got there early and walked around the little garden out front, checked out the Neptune statute, and walked over to the white house down the hill that looks like a white castle. We ran into the caretaker who apparently knew Vera back in the day and knew the history of the restaurant as well as the castle. That was kind of fascinating, When we pulled up, there was a driveway with a gate and two stone heads, that we thought were chess pieces at first glance, but I'm betting they were busts of a king and a queen. The yard has grecian type statues scattered throughout and the caretaker said the new owner lives there and the house contains an enormous amount of marble plus, dig this, an indoor swimming pool. The restaurant itself was large and empty at eleven. We sat out on the deck to eat, beautiful view of the water, boats, pretty houses with manicured lawns.

I can't say the food was altogether that great. I didn't want a full meal so I got a crab pretzel. I don't think it was real crab meat, or if it was, there wasn't much of it. The view, and the company made it all worthwhile though. And the weather was glorious - perfect day to be sitting near the water.

Attaching a history of Vera's - sounds like she was something else! (in a good way)

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

So I went there for lunch today. Beautiful location, got there early and walked around the little garden out front, checked out the Neptune statute, and walked over to the white house down the hill that looks like a white castle. We ran into the caretaker who apparently knew Vera back in the day and knew the history of the restaurant as well as the castle. That was kind of fascinating, When we pulled up, there was a driveway with a gate and two stone heads, that we thought were chess pieces at first glance, but I'm betting they were busts of a king and a queen. The yard has grecian type statues scattered throughout and the caretaker said the new owner lives there and the house contains an enormous amount of marble plus, dig this, an indoor swimming pool. The restaurant itself was large and empty at eleven. We sat out on the deck to eat, beautiful view of the water, boats, pretty houses with manicured lawns.

I can't say the food was altogether that great. I didn't want a full meal so I got a crab pretzel. I don't think it was real crab meat, or if it was, there wasn't much of it. The view, and the company made it all worthwhile though. And the weather was glorious - perfect day to be sitting near the water.

Attaching a history of Vera's - sounds like she was something else! (in a good way)

Vera was definitely an eccentric person, and dressed the part as well. Including the eccentricities of the decor of the restaurant back in the day. I'm sure there are many here that attended a party, or two, hosted by Vera at some point that can attest to her quirky ways. Or attended a Chamber of Commerce business after hours that Vera hosted, on many occasions. Think of a freedom loving open minded colorful clothes wearing hippie of the 70's, in her 70's. That was Vera. And everyone loved her for who she was.

NOTSMC

For your consideration ...

Vera was definitely an eccentric person, and dressed the part as well. Including the eccentricities of the decor of the restaurant back in the day. I'm sure there are many here that attended a party, or two, hosted by Vera at some point that can attest to her quirky ways. Or attended a Chamber of Commerce business after hours that Vera hosted, on many occasions. Think of a freedom loving open minded colorful clothes wearing hippie of the 70's, in her 70's. That was Vera. And everyone loved her for who she was.
lol - big portrait of her when you first walk in.