What neighborhoods in SOMD have Verizon FIOS?

wubbles

Is there any way to check besides manually putting addresses in on Verizon's website to see if it's available in the area? I know the "luxury" apartments behind BJs has FIOS, but I am not sure where else it is available.

ABB is so bad that when I move I am deliberately avoiding their service area.

Goldenhawk

The "teach a man to fish and you feed him for life" answer:

Start here:
and search for "Verizon FIOS coverage map"
Follow various links until you find it. Finding the link below took me 30 seconds; third item down on the results.

The "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day" answer:

Start here:
Zoom in far enough on the map, and you'll start to see individual neighborhoods. Basically, a small chunk of downtown Lex Park, almost all business area except for a bit of North Essex; a small chunk of California, and a small chunk of Wildewood. For your purposes, one small residential area in Wildewood is just about it unless you like North Essex or condo life.

wubbles

Thanks for your help! Would be interesting if there's any other rumored places that are getting it but almost certainly only new neighborhoods.

wubbles

Bummer, turns out that map isn't accurate. I am checking some of the addresses in Wildewood and they only have "High Speed Internet," (trash DSL) not FIOS. That's why I was kinda hoping people could chime in that currently have the service but at the very least the map narrows it down and shows it's pretty much a crap shoot in SoMD right now. I am finding some places with the gigabit connection available but they're not exactly my idea of downsizing (5000+ sq ft).

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
As far as I know, the only fiber down here is the stimulus paid for stuff thats govt only.

BernieP

Resident PIA
As far as I know, the only fiber down here is the stimulus paid for stuff thats govt only.
The only units that I am aware of that have FIOS are in WIldewood, it's a section of new townhomes, "Luxury" townhomes, on Wildewood Pkwy, near the intersection with Wildewood Blvd. They are squeezed into the one of the older sections.

I had heard Settler's Landing had them, but I think when I checked they said no.
The only two areas that come to mind, and are not exactly public, are the two military housing developments, one behind Giant, the other behind the pool in Wildewood. To me, that looks like what the map shows.

Again, hearsay, but I was told that the only units that could be connected to Verizon were units that were not in the county plan when the cable franchise was let. I've read the law / franchise and it isn't clear that it gives the winner a monopoly. But apparently it does. My guess is that with the fiber trunk running down 235, these spots may not have been on the original plan and Verizon agreed to hock them up.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The "teach a man to fish and you feed him for life" answer:
Very telling that the fix is in, that when looking at the map, that FIOS stops, and follows, right at the northern Calvert County line. Everything else all around the region is red for FIOS. Someone was paid off in some way for that to happen, either at the Local, or State level, or both. Competition is allowed and encouraged, say the commissioners, during every Comcast, "negotiation", my astrolobe.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think from the map, he was specifically referring to the middle St Marys area, but I could be wrong.

DoWhat, so do I :) The soluble kind, got some Metamucil :) Do you really have fiber optic internet?

LR, the way it went down as I recall, was that they spent millions of dollars bringing Maryland High Speed backbone down at least as far as SMCM, maybe even Ridge, but only govt and schools can use it. Here's a couple of documents
2012 report of the backbone

http://tccsmd.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/SoMD-Broadband-4.0-With-Appendices_Final.pdf

2019 update, as you can see, the ide of fiber to home isnt even mentioned. I think, and there might be smeothing to this, that by the time you build it, wirelss options like 5G or real sattelite internet like Musks SpaceX is beginning to place now will make wored solutions including fiber oboslete. If I can buy for $100-$200 a flat 30x30 antenna the gets me equal speed and reliability from a sat for say under $100 a month, why not?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I think from the map, he was specifically referring to the middle St Marys area, but I could be wrong.

DoWhat, so do I :) The soluble kind, got some Metamucil :) Do you really have fiber optic internet?
Yes, Metrocast ran fiber down Medleys Neck Rd., I am guessing 10 years ago.
Our small development (15 house) had nothing until the fiber.
We were still on dial up for internet.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes, Metrocast ran fiber down Medleys Neck Rd., I am guessing 10 years ago.
Our small development (15 house) had nothing until the fiber.
We were still on dial up for internet.

Metrocast? Fiber optic? That doesnt sound right.

Ah, got it. sounds like you are on a DOCSIS-based hybrid/fiber coax (HFC) infrastructure (copy and paste, I never knew this existed til just now) Basically, they are not running a full fiber net like FIOS, but rather pieces of the network are fiber while other pieces are still coax. What sort of speeds do you see on the upload side of the internet? A true fiber connection should have the same speeds for both up and down, while cable in the loop would mean that your upload speeds are always about 10 times slower than download.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Metrocast? Fiber optic? That doesnt sound right.

Ah, got it. sounds like you are on a DOCSIS-based hybrid/fiber coax (HFC) infrastructure (copy and paste, I never knew this existed til just now) Basically, they are not running a full fiber net like FIOS, but rather pieces of the network are fiber while other pieces are still coax. What sort of speeds do you see on the upload side of the internet? A true fiber connection should have the same speeds for both up and down, while cable in the loop would mean that your upload speeds are always about 10 times slower than download.
It is Fiber.
It is attached to a Fiber to Coax Converter (needs power) at the garage. I have the coax run directly to the modem.
Down Speed 93.59 Mbps Up is 5.32. We pay for the 70 Mbps package (I think).
We only use it for internet.

glhs837

Power with Control
It is Fiber.
It is attached to a Fiber to Coax Converter (needs power) at the garage. I have the coax run directly to the modem.
Down Speed 93.59 Mbps Up is 5.32. We pay for the 70 Mbps package (I think).
We only use it for internet.

I didnt mean to say what you have in the house isnt fiber. My point was that what you have is indeed a fiber connection in the house, but it doesn't connect to a fiber network, but rather a conventional coax cable company network. Hence your upload speed is only a fraction of what your download speed is. IF you had a full fiber connection, those numbers would be about the same. Not knocking it, just wanted to understand, and I've learned a new thing. I keep seeing folks say they have fiber, but I also knew that there isnt an available fiber network down here, hence my confusion.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I didnt mean to say what you have in the house isnt fiber. My point was that what you have is indeed a fiber connection in the house, but it doesn't connect to a fiber network, but rather a conventional coax cable company network. Hence your upload speed is only a fraction of what your download speed is. IF you had a full fiber connection, those numbers would be about the same. Not knocking it, just wanted to understand, and I've learned a new thing. I keep seeing folks say they have fiber, but I also knew that there isnt an available fiber network down here, hence my confusion.
I am sure it connects to a fiber/coax junction down the road.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We just switched phone and internet to Atlantic. Had no choice really...the old T1 service just couldn’t cut it and there are no other options in our Piney Point area.

It’s a 500mb download and 50mb upload service plus three phone lines.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

We just switched phone and internet to Atlantic. Had no choice really...the old T1 service just couldn’t cut it and there are no other options in our Piney Point area.

It’s a 500mb download and 50mb upload service plus three phone lines.
A T1 line? Wasn't that like a direct trunk line connection to the reservoir of the internet? Super duper fast? I remember TQCI had a T1 to their building on 235, about 10 years or so ago, and that thing was like salivatingly super fast then. What happened?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

A T1 line? Wasn't that like a direct trunk line connection to the reservoir of the internet? Super duper fast? I remember TQCI had a T1 to their building on 235, about 10 years or so ago, and that thing was like salivatingly super fast then. What happened?
Lol. They were fast back in the day...was fine when we had it installed in 2001. Our local Verizon infrastructure max was 1.4 mb in both directions. Max theoretical speed for t1 is 1.544 mb.