What should I buy

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
workaholic, you've gotten some really sound advice here.

Think of cameras sort of like cars, cell phone providers, rival sports teams, etc. There will be lots of fighting and name calling, but it basically comes down to personal preference. Dispite long years of tension and competition many photographers have gotten over the Nikon vs Camera debate and as you can see in this thread we like to have a little fun with it.

Which is better, Canon or Nikon? Well, that can't really be answered as each, as a whole, are better at certain things and then within the brand certain bodies perform better than others.

Three brands that I stand by are Nikon, Canon, and Olympus. I have three Nikon DSLRs, one ancient Canon film SLR (shhhh, that's a secret!!), a canon video camera, and I'm on my third Olympus point and shoot (the first was stolen, the second was given to a friend).

An SLR is a big investment because after you buy the body you have to look at what lens(es) you want or need. Then, you get into accesories, like filters, speedlites, specialty lenses, etc. Getting a point and shoot with M/S/A (manual/shutter/aperature) modes is a great way to see a) how comfortable you are outside of preset modes b) how often you'll really use non-preset modes c) what limits you can live with with your camera and d) what expectations you have for your camera.

Another small hit on the subject of pixels, sometimes bigger isn't better. It's already been mentioned that unless you're planning to do some severe cropping or huge prints you can't tell a dig difference in MP. I've gotten terrific 8x10s out of 8 year old 2mp point and shoot. However, when you get to the bigger MP cameras you can see YOUR imperfections more clearly. Many inexperienced photographers believe that entry level cameras take better pictures because when they jump up to a higher MP camera without the know-how they can't get the same results they were getting with the basic camera.

ylexot

Super Genius
I wanted to compare my 5D to the new XSi, but the XSi isn't listed yet. :frown: I'm thinking that the XSi might match or beat the 5D in a lot of ways. Not bad for an $800 camera.

MrX

High Octane
I wanted to compare my 5D to the new XSi, but the XSi isn't listed yet. :frown: I'm thinking that the XSi might match or beat the 5D in a lot of ways. Not bad for an $800 camera.

Ive read that they are going to be pretty close when it comes to features, but there will be some things the 5D has that the XSi doesnt and vice versa. Def not a bad deal for the money! Big difference in price between the two.

ylexot

Super Genius
Ive read that they are going to be pretty close when it comes to features, but there will be some things the 5D has that the XSi doesnt and vice versa. Def not a bad deal for the money! Big difference in price between the two.

Well, I know that the 5D wins on sensor size (full vs crop), shutter speed (1/8000 vs 1/4000), and highest ISO (3200 vs 1600). But I'm not sure what else (if anything). XSi gets live preview and sensor cleaning....and ~$1600 in the pocket :biggrin:

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
OK I just ordered the Canon S5 IS from B&H Photo. I will let you know what my thoughts are. I paid for overnight shipping it was only $10.00 more so it will be here tomorrow.

MrX

High Octane
Well, I know that the 5D wins on sensor size (full vs crop), shutter speed (1/8000 vs 1/4000), and highest ISO (3200 vs 1600). But I'm not sure what else (if anything). XSi gets live preview and sensor cleaning....and ~$1600 in the pocket :biggrin:

Canon EOS 450D / Digital Rebel XSi: Digital Photography Review for the full specs. :yay:

OK I just ordered the Canon S5 IS from B&H Photo. I will let you know what my thoughts are. I paid for overnight shipping it was only $10.00 more so it will be here tomorrow.

Congrats, i think you made a wise decision...let us know how it works out for you and be sure to post up some shots!

But I know I want to get the most mega pixels I can but what else do I need to look for.

You've already been smacked for that, so I won go there! :lmao: More important than the mega-pixel capability is the CCD size. Someone mentioned having the largest somewhere back in this thread. A larger CCD will capture a much better picture than a smaller CCD at the same megapixel rating.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
You've already been smacked for that, so I won go there! :lmao: More important than the mega-pixel capability is the CCD size. Someone mentioned having the largest somewhere back in this thread. A larger CCD will capture a much better picture than a smaller CCD at the same megapixel rating.

Actually when ylexot mentioned sensor size it's because the 5d is full frame, not a crop body with an APS-C sensor. There are positives and negatives for both.

I prefer the crop factor (FLM) for more reach and don't have any need for a full frame body.

More information then you want to know....
Sensor Sizes: Camera System: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

Actually when ylexot mentioned sensor size it's because the 5d is full frame, not a crop body with an APS-C sensor. There are positives and negatives for both.

I prefer the crop factor (FLM) for more reach and don't have any need for a full frame body.

True. Just one more thing to throw into the equation....

MrX

High Octane
I plan on buying a D300 in the next few months, use the $$ made with that to purchase the D3 this fall.

Sounds like a nice plan.....

I cant really justify either one since I dont make any money off of them. Would be nice though :yay: