what to do?

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
This past saturday i went to a horse show with my two mares. I had my one mare tied to the trailer, while i went to excercise my 5yr old. Well, while i was riding in the area that was infornt of the ring (the only place where we could warm up) it started raining so i hopped off to go take the saddle off my other mare, who was tied to the trailer. While walking back to my truck (still in the practice area) some kids came running from the announcer stand, and in my general deriction, i noticed them so i started to turn my mare around so she woulnt spook, or run into them, but it was already too late. She freaked out, and backed up into a nerby truck. It seemed like she didnt hit it hard, but when i moved her away it was a nice size dent on the left front a little behind and above the bumper. The truck was parked about 50 ft from the arena, in a line with other trucks, about this close to the arena. I waited around for the owner to come back to the truck, i didnt want anyone thinking i was going to hit and run. When she came back we exchanged info, but we were both at a lose of what to do, because my horse hit it, not my truck. Well she has the estimate from someone we both trust, so now its time to pay the bill... but the question i have, is it completly my fault? Is it best for me to pay the whole thing? This was at a sanctioned event, so im wondering if the associations insurance covers this? Anyone have any advice, or had this happen before? I'm not trying to wiggle out of the bill, although it was an act of god, it was my property (horse) that did the damage, i'm just wondering if theres other options. Thanks.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I am pretty sure that you are liable for the damage to her truck. I am pretty sure that the event that hosted it is only liable for damage to the property the show was on and to prevent them from getting sued if someone got hurt at the show.

Cowgirl

I'm guessing you're going to have to pay it. Either out of pocket, or see if your homeowners insurance will cover it. Are your horses covered on your homeowners insurance? If they are, that should cover it. If it's not too high of a bill, I'd try to pay out of pocket though to keep things simpler.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
I know it is after the fact, but I believe the Equisure coverage you get when you join USEF might have covered something like that.

highnote

Unless you had liability coverage on the horse that did the damage, you ARE liable. Just like you have car insurance for every vehicle you drive, you technically should have horse insurance on every horse you own (if you want to avoid personal liability).

Just like with a car, you can get horse coverage that is just liability, or liability plus medical/damages.

If you drive an uninsured car, your insurance company will not cover any accidents relating to that car. Same goes for horses. If your uninsured horse causes property or personal damage, you have no other option but to accept personal responsibility/liability.

And thanks for sticking around to wait for the owner. That was the right thing to do!

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I agree with highnote. You ARE liable and although MD doesn't push the issue for mandatory equine insurance. It is always a good choice to cover your self.

If it was your child that caused the damage, you would be liable. You have to maintain control of your children. Same goes here. You have to maintain control of your animal. It is frustrating that these children would act in such a way to cause your horse to spook. But horses do occasionally spook. If you know that your horse is prone to that, you have to act accordingly. However, can't help wondering who had control of the kids at the time? And if they are attending a horse show, why aren’t they being taught how to behave around horses. The situation is unfortunate!

Thanks for doing the right thing by sticking around!

Last edited:

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
The kids that did it usually act that way at the shows, but usually im on my other mare who is practically bomb proof. The kids never came up and said sorry to me, or the owner of the truck, i think they just ran and hid. The mare that did it was already antsy (she hates the rain), which is why i got off to walk back to my trailer, and why i turned her around so she could see the kids. I didnt like the set up of that show, there really was no where to warm up, and the parking was too close to where the horses were being rode, plus it took $50 in gas to get there, and $12 to get over the bridge, so i dont think im going to go back, unless i'm hauling with someone else, or someone is hauling with me and we split the cost.
I'm thinking about looking into insurance for the horses, it all depends whats covered and how much it is...

The bill isn't too bad im using my tax money i got back, and the extra money im making this week with lessons/training/farm sitting, so its really no money out of my pocket, well directly...but it could have been a hitch for my truck, and rear U bolts, but i look at it this way no one at the shows can say im dishonest.

The bill isn't too bad im using my tax money i got back ... but i look at it this way no one at the shows can say im dishonest.
:yahoo: Way to go! That's the right attitude. Your horse did the damage (yes, caused partly by the hellions). It's nice to see integrity these days.
:buddies:

mingiz

Horse Poor
A friend of mine had the same thing happen at a organized trail ride. He was parked and his horse was tied to his trailer. The other truck came later and parked beside him while his horse was still tied to the trailer.Well they parked to close and the horse ended up damaging the truck fender. Several people saw this lady pull in and park. So by rights it was her fault for parking to close but my friend went ahead and paid for the damage...Because the lady was being a Sh*t about it. :whistle:

A friend of mine had the same thing happen at a organized trail ride. He was parked and his horse was tied to his trailer. The other truck came later and parked beside him while his horse was still tied to the trailer.Well they parked to close and the horse ended up damaging the truck fender. Several people saw this lady pull in and park. So by rights it was her fault for parking to close but my friend went ahead and paid for the damage...Because the lady was being a Sh*t about it. :whistle:
Lady deserved to get her truck bent. Your friend should have sued her for animal abuse. Mental trauma to the horse since it thought it was gonna get run over.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
My homeowners paid it when one we used to own backed right into the tailgait of an SUV trying to avoid a moving truck/trailer.

Big 'Ole butt shaped dent. I kinda liked it myself, well rounded and perfectly apple shaped...but the SUV's owner didn't care much for the remodel. :lol: if you own your home it's worth a call. We have State Farm.

highnote

Before reporting it to your homeowners I would consider how much the damages cost, and weigh wherther it is really worth the risk of your premiums increasing and having that on your insurance record.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I used my truck ins when my own horse decided to put dimples on the door..I called the ins Co. and told them I had a hit & run. They asked if I was ok I told them yea but I wanted to kill the other guy. Then they asked me what happened I told them my horse hit it then he ran..The ins. Lady was like WTH? Then I told her the rest of the story and then she said that they didn't know how they would claim it ...as collision or compherhensive...This was State Farm ....:popcorn:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Before reporting it to your homeowners I would consider how much the damages cost, and weigh wherther it is really worth the risk of your premiums increasing and having that on your insurance record.
My homeowners premium didn't go up at all. They've never gone up for that reason.
That's what I pay insurance premiums FOR. It's not like being a criminal and getting a "record" :lol:

Oh wait...maybe it would be the HORSE who got a 'record'? Thank goodness we don't have 'ole big butt any more, so no worries with her putting another butt print on someone else's tailgait.

Last edited: