What truck should I get?

glhs837

Power with Control
First leg of my trip, Leonardtown to Greenville, SC, via Fayetteville, NC, the vehicle computer calculated 31.7 mpg, with some limited in and around miles. Of course, the vehicle comp is always optimistic, but reality will still beat 30.

I don't know about that. Hand checked the wifes Jeep Cherokee for the first 30,000 miles or so and the MPGer was pretty much right on the money.

jrt_ms1995

I don't know about that. Hand checked the wifes Jeep Cherokee for the first 30,000 miles or so and the MPGer was pretty much right on the money.

Sorry, mine is always optimistic, typically by between 1 and 1.5 mpg. Have seen some other reports of the same online for the Canyon/Colorado trucks.

nutz

First leg of my trip, Leonardtown to Greenville, SC, via Fayetteville, NC, the vehicle computer calculated 31.7 mpg, with some limited in and around miles. Of course, the vehicle comp is always optimistic, but reality will still beat 30.

towing how much? Total load in vehicle; people + luggage + cargo?

jrt_ms1995

towing how much? Total load in vehicle; people + luggage + cargo?

Nothing in tow; 2 adults, maybe 100 lbs of various luggage, Christmas gifts, etc. Back in Leonardtown via 85/95/301 this evening following a return from Greenville, SC, through Winston-Salem, NC. The vehicle computer reported 30.4 mpg for the full 1145 miles of the trip, but the two fill-ups calculated out to 28.3 mpg (1084 miles/38.3 gallons).

nutz

Nothing in tow; 2 adults, maybe 100 lbs of various luggage, Christmas gifts, etc. Back in Leonardtown via 85/95/301 this evening following a return from Greenville, SC, through Winston-Salem, NC. The vehicle computer reported 30.4 mpg for the full 1145 miles of the trip, but the two fill-ups calculated out to 28.3 mpg (1084 miles/38.3 gallons).

So the point of buying a truck is?? You could have taken a Prius with that amount of stuff and gotten ~ 20 mpg more.

jrt_ms1995

So the point of buying a truck is?? You could have taken a Prius with that amount of stuff and gotten ~ 20 mpg more.

:shrug: What's that have to do with Misfit's request for information on trucks? He expressed a quasi-interest in the small diesel, and I offered to report the results of my trip.

nutz

:shrug: What's that have to do with Misfit's request for information on trucks? He expressed a quasi-interest in the small diesel, and I offered to report the results of my trip.

And as an extension of that, I wondered/asked what's the point of buying a truck if a car would suffice for the tasks it is being used for. I have a truck that is used for farm chores like moving hay and feed. The same truck is also tasked with moving equipment from point a to b and is used for vacationing with a travel trailer. My mileage was posted upon those facts. Hence, when I started my posting to his question " what are you using it for? That will determine need" There was the point. No one could legally use your truck to move 15000 lbs. A lot of travel trailers out there are well above 5000 lbs. empty weight.
I'm happy you like your truck, there's a reason they come in different sizes.

jrt_ms1995

And as an extension of that, I wondered/asked what's the point of buying a truck if a car would suffice for the tasks it is being used for. I have a truck that is used for farm chores like moving hay and feed. The same truck is also tasked with moving equipment from point a to b and is used for vacationing with a travel trailer. My mileage was posted upon those facts. Hence, when I started my posting to his question " what are you using it for? That will determine need" There was the point. No one could legally use your truck to move 15000 lbs. A lot of travel trailers out there are well above 5000 lbs. empty weight.
I'm happy you like your truck, there's a reason they come in different sizes.

Agree completely with everything above. Mine meets my very limited needs for occasional lighter towing and hauling while also being a respectable commuter, yours meets your more serious demands. Hopefully Misfit will find a good fit as well, wherever it may fall in the range.

And, to answer your earlier question, which I seem to have mistaken the tone of, we took the truck as the load, though light, wouldn't all fit in our hybrid; too many presents for children, grandchild, nieces, nephews, etc., for the Camry.

nutz

Agree completely with everything above. Mine meets my very limited needs for occasional lighter towing and hauling while also being a respectable commuter, yours meets your more serious demands. Hopefully Misfit will find a good fit as well, wherever it may fall in the range.

And, to answer your earlier question, which I seem to have mistaken the tone of, we took the truck as the load, though light, wouldn't all fit in our hybrid; too many presents for children, grandchild, nieces, nephews, etc., for the Camry.

Thank you