Whatcha readin'?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I really enjoyed this one. Have the new "Lost Symbol" on order!

Am reading "Olive Kitteridge", interesting short stories about the life of Olive. Set in Maine, I think I have the story figured out, and the end is different than what is expected.

I finished Digital Fortress at the pool while I was on vacation. What an awesome book, really hard to put down. I'm trying to get hubby to read it, I know he hates to read because once he starts he won't put a book down until he finishes it, wouldn't take him long to finish this one. I'm really looking forward to Lost Symbol.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I haven't really read anything this summer worth talking about. I have a few I am finishing, but none I would recommend. I'll try to pick up the books you all are talking about. I am reading one called "how to be cool" which was a $5.99 hardback I picked up at Giant. Entertaining, but not riveting. :ohwell: I have very limited concentration right now, so a good book would be great. I'm going to pick up Digital. Think both hubby and I would like it? He hates any romance crap.

Cowgirl

Just finished the first two books in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I'm enjoying it so far, and I wished we got HBO so I could watch True Blood. I'm going to have to get them on Netflix or something.

JULZ

BFJ
Just finished Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

Can't wait for the movie though I know it won't be as AWESOME as the book; the movie versions never are.

Did I mention the book was AWESOME!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
State of Jones

Amazon.com: The State of Jones (9780385525930): Sally Jenkins, John Stauffer: Books

Make room in your understanding of the Civil War for Jones County, Mississippi, where a maverick small farmer named Newton Knight made a local legend of himself by leading a civil war of his own against the Confederate authorities. Anti-planter, anti-slavery, and anti-conscription, Knight and thousands of fellow poor whites, army deserters, and runaway slaves waged a guerrilla insurrection against the secession that at its peak could claim the lower third of Mississippi as pro-Union territory. Knight, who survived well beyond the war (and fathered more than a dozen children by two mothers who lived alongside each other, one white and one black), has long been a notorious, half-forgotten figure, and in The State of Jones journalist Sally Jenkins and Harvard historian John Stauffer combine to tell his story with grace and passion. Using court transcripts, family memories, and other sources--and filling the remaining gaps with stylish evocations of crucial moments in the wider war--Jenkins and Stauffer connect Knight's unruly crusade to a South that, at its moment of crisis, was anything but solid. --Tom Nissley

K

kris31280

Nickel and Dimed in America: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America is a book written by Barbara Ehrenreich. Written from the perspective of the undercover journalist, it sets out to investigate the impact of the 1996 welfare reform on the "working poor" in the United States. In some ways it is similar to George Orwell's much earlier Down and Out in Paris and London, German investigative reporter Günter Wallraff's Ganz Unten (The Lowest of the Low), and John Howard Griffin's Black Like Me.

The events related in the book took place between spring 1998 and summer 2000. The book was first published in 2001 by Metropolitan Books. An earlier version appeared as an article in the January 1999 issue of Harper's magazine. Ehrenreich later wrote a companion book, Bait and Switch (published September 2005), which discusses her attempt to find a white-collar job.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
For anyone looking for a book to pick up, I highly recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain. I can't speak highly enough of this book. If you can get past the idea that it's narrated by a dog (and a very insightful one at that :lol:), definitely give it a go.

camily

Peace

JULZ

BFJ
The Patient by Michael Palmer

Someone is killing off the world's most gifted neurosurgeons, and Alex Bishop, a renegade CIA agent, thinks he knows who it is. Bishop is out to settle his score with Claude Malloche, an international assassin responsible for the death of Bishop's brother. When he learns that Malloche is afflicted with an inoperable brain tumor, Bishop understands why the murdered neurosurgeons died, and where Malloche will strike next. Meanwhile, Jessie Copeland, an MIT-trained mechanical engineer and neurosurgeon, is working to perfect a robotic device that will revolutionize brain surgery.

One of the patients awaiting surgery at Boston's Eastern Massachusetts Medical Center is Malloche--but which one? No one has ever been able to identify the assassin, and Jessie is hardly well known enough to attract his notice. But ARTIE, the robotic device, is--and Malloche will stop at nothing to ensure that it's used to save his own life. He threatens to release a deadly nerve toxin on thousands of innocent people, and Jessie is forced to save him at the cost of her own safety.