What's going on at GMHS

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
No, its not tragic. Everything that happened that day happened due to conscious decisions made by the perpetrator. This was not some great tragedy where an 8 year old picks up a gun because he doesn't know what it can do. This was a 17 year old young man who drove himself to the scene of the crime and executed another human being with forethought and malice. This was not a dispute that got out of hand or a drug deal gone bad. He went there with a plan and killed that girl and maimed another boy. My compassion is with the victims of his crime and their families (and to some extent with deputy Gaskill who had to make the difficult choice to shoot at a student, the fact that he didn't kill the young man is not all that relevant).
Got to disagree with you here not only did the family lose a son, which is hard even when it's expected, but to have to endure the shame and guilt of the circumstances. They have to be thinking a million "what ifs", what if I'd sold the gun, what if I'd had one more talk with him...All that being said, it's not a zero sum game, the compassion I feel for his family in no way diminishes the compassion I feel for her family.

Goldenhawk

No, its not tragic. Everything that happened that day happened due to conscious decisions made by the perpetrator.
I guess we disagree. It IS tragic not because of the perpetrator, but because of what his family will endure for the rest of their lives. I have close friends who live a few doors away from his house - with the media parked on their front lawn hoping for a glimpse by the cameras of these evil people who raised such a beast of a child and gave him access to a horrid weapon... their lives are effectively ruined by what he did. I doubt he was thinking in those terms when he walked out of the door that morning, but WE can think about it and feel compassion for THEM at least.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Just a heads up for those in the Hollywood area. Services for Jaelynn will be from 2:00 to 7:00 at the firehouse.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Visitation
Thursday, March 29, 2018
2:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Hollywood Volunteer Fire Department
24801 Three Notch Road
Hollywood, MD 20636
Prayer Service

Thursday, March 29, 2018
3:00 PM
24801 Three Notch Road
Hollywood, MD 20636

Funeral Service

Friday, March 30, 2018
10:00 AM
24801 Three Notch Road
Hollywood, MD 20636

PeoplesElbow

I guess we disagree. It IS tragic not because of the perpetrator, but because of what his family will endure for the rest of their lives. I have close friends who live a few doors away from his house - with the media parked on their front lawn hoping for a glimpse by the cameras of these evil people who raised such a beast of a child and gave him access to a horrid weapon... their lives are effectively ruined by what he did. I doubt he was thinking in those terms when he walked out of the door that morning, but WE can think about it and feel compassion for THEM at least.

I agree, it is tragic. People have to remember this was still a child, one that thought the only way to end his pain/anger was to do what he did. I believe society is doing a great disservice to boys, and they don't prepare them for not receiving a trophy and they simply don't know how to handle it.

I have heard that the sister of the shooter is receiving death threats.

Anyone that doesn't think what that family has/is suffering is a tragedy either has no feelings, is consumed with anger, or is just being stupid.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I agree, it is tragic. People have to remember this was still a child, one that thought the only way to end his pain/anger was to do what he did. I believe society is doing a great disservice to boys, and they don't prepare them for not receiving a trophy and they simply don't know how to handle it.

I have heard that the sister of the shooter is receiving death threats.

Anyone that doesn't think what that family has/is suffering is a tragedy either has no feelings, is consumed with anger, or is just being stupid.

So true. Thank you for saying.